Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2017, 12:31 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,479,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Whats bizarre about an eye for an eye? lol
He was in prison, serving his time. Was he also on death row?

That was his 'eye for an eye' that we all agreed on in our social contract with one another.

Let's not pretend that another inmate killing him isn't also murder. And some people here are cheering murder on.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:34 PM

6,463 posts, read 9,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Why get such giggly pleasure about it?

That what many in this thread are reacting to.

It's just . . .ghoulish.

(oooh, oooh, here's someone I can justify hating and enjoy the violence that was done against him!!)
if you read the comments on the article in the OP you will see that they feel the same way most of us in this thread do. "he did the crown a favor" is a common type comment. So our point of view isn't bizarre in any fashion, that's what my giggly pleasure was, laughing at the "bizarre" comment. Like an eye for an eye is unheard of.

Ghoulish? I guess if we were discussing details it would be, but I don't think it is imo.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
He was in prison, serving his time. Was he also on death row?

That was his 'eye for an eye' that we all agreed on in our social contract with one another.

Let's not pretend that another inmate killing him isn't also murder. And some people here are cheering murder on.
No one is pretending anything. Yes cheering the murder of a baby killer. not cheering the murder of a baby, not cheering the murder of a parent, of someone innocent, none of those things.

What contract? I missed that one. Do you have a link so I can read what I didn't sign?

Old 11-16-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
if you read the comments on the article in the OP you will see that they feel the same way most of us in this thread do. "he did the crown a favor" is a common type comment. So our point of view isn't bizarre in any fashion, that's what my giggly pleasure was, laughing at the "bizarre" comment. Like an eye for an eye is unheard of.

Ghoulish? I guess if we were discussing details it would be, but I don't think it is imo.
Yahoo comments section is some of the most abhorrent commentary on the planet. If you're using that for your moral compass, then I think you need to re-evaluate life.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,676 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:

I'm not saying it's rare. I'm saying this reaction is disguised as being on the side of "good", when in fact it's thinly veiled bloodlust and desire for revenge in general. And people like that love it when they can find violence done against someone that they can justify - even if they hadn't ever heard of this guy in their lives. Just the fact that violence was done against him is enjoyable, even if you have to make a hero out of a rapist to applaud it.

Most people don't cheer this. Those who DO, post LOL and good job and fist bumps. Most people read it and go uggh, and skip and scroll, because it's just an awful story that you can't really make anything positive about.

So those who DO get a charge out violence against others think they're in the majority.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
What contract? I missed that one. Do you have a link so I can read what I didn't sign?
The ones that are written into law. You're cheering on someone breaking the law and you're patting yourself on the back for it. It's laughable, if not disturbing.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying it's rare. I'm saying this reaction is disguised as being on the side of "good", when in fact it's thinly veiled bloodlust and desire for revenge in general.

Most people don't cheer this. Those who DO, post LOL and good job and fist bumps. Most people read it and go uggh, and skip and scroll, because it's just an awful story that you can't really make anything positive about.

So those who DO get a charge out violence against others think they're in the majority.
Consider your audience, first and foremost. I think you need a certain level of intellect and self-awareness to realize what you're postulating here.

People who are fist bumping and LOLing after every comment about a topic like this are probably not on the high end of the emotional IQ spectrum.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Consider your audience, first and foremost. I think you need a certain level of intellect and self-awareness to realize what you're postulating here.

People who are fist bumping and LOLing after every comment about a topic like this are probably not on the high end of the emotional IQ spectrum.
You can make this personal but that's only because you cant come up with anything else. nice try though.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
You can make this personal but that's only because you cant come up with anything else. nice try though.
I'm not making this personal about anyone in particular. Do you see anyone's name mentioned here? I was commenting on ClaraC's post about what she is proposing. Mostly, I was thinking about the general state of the Yahoo comments section.

This has a lot to do with human psychology and sociology.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying it's rare. I'm saying this reaction is disguised as being on the side of "good", when in fact it's thinly veiled bloodlust and desire for revenge in general. And people like that love it when they can find violence done against someone that they can justify - even if they hadn't ever heard of this guy in their lives. Just the fact that violence was done against him is enjoyable, even if you have to make a hero out of a rapist to applaud it.

I think many people cheer it. call it what you want. I'm not veiling anything. I am GLAD a guy in prison killed that guy. Doesn't mean I am going to go out and hurt anyone or be glad if you get hurt.

2 guys in prison already convicted, yeah go for it. That is positive in my opinion when a person kills his own 2 day old baby in the manner he did, is murdered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events