Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 08:20 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,761 times

Advertisements

If I lost my five year old I would go home, close the blinds and curl into a ball for a long time and wouldn't want anything to do with going to court, unless it was a criminal case or if it was as jersey said something that was an outrageous obvious danger and it was a matter of making a point-- but looks like jersey said everybody over the years has managed to eat injury or death free so a lawsuit isn't going to do anything re that and it won't bring him back- if anything the reliving all the trauma in court would be a big no thanks for me and I would rather spend that energy if I ever managed to have some to do something in his honor like a memorial fund to help sick kids or something

Old 11-25-2017, 08:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
If I lost my five year old I would go home, close the blinds and curl into a ball for a long time and wouldn't want anything to do with going to court, unless it was a criminal case or if it was as jersey said something that was an outrageous obvious danger and it was a matter of making a point-- but looks like jersey said everybody over the years has managed to eat injury or death free so a lawsuit isn't going to do anything re that and it won't bring him back- if anything the reliving all the trauma in court would be a big no thanks for me and I would rather spend that energy if I ever managed to have some to do something in his honor like a memorial fund to help sick kids or something
Well I haven’t seen reports of deaths or injuries at this restaurant (relating to the rotation) over the years. I think if there was any history of injuries or worse, news articles about this incident would have mentioned so. I could be wrong but I have a feeling I’m not, at least on the deaths part of it. Especially after this case, I think we would know, thanks to the media, if anything similar has ever happened in the past and AFAIK the media has been silent on this which makes me think this was a first.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Well I haven’t seen reports of deaths or injuries at this restaurant (relating to the rotation) over the years. I think if there was any history of injuries or worse, news articles about this incident would have mentioned so. I could be wrong but I have a feeling I’m not, at least on the deaths part of it. Especially after this case, I think we would know, thanks to the media, if anything similar has ever happened in the past and AFAIK the media has been silent on this which makes me think this was a first.
Yes. No news on it must mean there was no bad history or they would be all over it-- heck they would draw out and report even probably on some minor injury like someone sprained their ankle

Old 11-25-2017, 08:46 PM

A metro train advertisement, I guess some people need this pointed out-- BE CAREFUL OF APPROACHING TRAINS--- and don't attempt to walk in front of them. I thought adults know this by the time they are hopefully 8 or 9

Old 11-25-2017, 10:16 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I’m sorry this kid died but it’s not like there was some massive ignored danger. No one had ever fallen victim to this moving restaurant before.
I disagree. This was easily foreseeable by human factors engineers and other professionals engaged in the hospitality business. They have the responsibility to evaluate their machinery and their premises for possible dangers that may not be apparent to customers and their children.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:46 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I disagree. This was easily foreseeable by human factors engineers and other professionals engaged in the hospitality business. They have the responsibility to evaluate their machinery and their premises for possible dangers that may not be apparent to customers and their children.
I was thinking the same thing; design engineers should have seen this right away.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
and i disagree with this-- I do not believe it was, nmor was foreseeable and I think you cannot ensure nobody will ever have an accident , or get injured or die- life isn't lived in a sealed plastic bag where everyone wears a safety harness and where everything not even machinery but a solid iron rung on a shopping cart corral needs flashing neon stay away signs on. I have a lot of difficulty buying into the idea that it was foreseeable -- nor was it a booby trap restaurant like some make it out to be-- it has been in long standing w no other deaths or injuries. If we look at it that way potentially anywhere even a parking lot with a shopping cart corral could be with one accident described as "that death trap parking lot "

Old 11-26-2017, 02:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'd say that most people here seem to be anti-lawsuit, altogether. They believe all lawsuits are wrong and those who file lawsuits are greedy. That is because of the media. The media reports these lawsuits where big money is awarded to plaintiffs. But not all lawsuits win and certainly don't win millons. It is costly to hire good attorneys and most people who have a good, winnable case, never go to court. They just give up.

I've experienced this reaction from people when I filed a small claims suit to recover $600, deposit money that my landlord wrongfully withheld from me. I had people call me greedy. I had people tell me, why did you do that? I've had people react with shock and astonishment. I don't get it. $600 is not some big windfall (to me), but perhaps it's more money than some people have seen in a long time. And the court agreed with me because they decided in my favor. I have zero guilt and don't feel that I am greedy or bad for suing.
I'm not anti-lawsuit. And I don't know exactly what happened with this child. All I do know is that there is a huge difference between what this lawsuit is contending and what the original police reports say. Your suit is very different from this case.

Going to throw this out there. A family case about 25 years ago. A child, a toddler, was left in a grocery cart alone while mom went off to find something down the aisle. Child stood up and turned the cart over. Poor kid ended up partially deaf and brain damaged. The family won close to a million in a lawsuit. That's not right!

It's not the same thing as this suit since it's not as clear what happened in this restaurant, but please realize that questioning lawsuits doesn't mean someone is "anti-lawsuit".

Old 11-26-2017, 05:12 AM

835 posts, read 477,516 times
I'm not anti lawsuit, but I have doubts about this family's motivation for suing beyond the burial and funeral costs. Parents who truly love their children know that there is no amount of money that is equivalent to their child, they are priceless treasures. Anything beyond the funeral and burial costs seems to be a financial opportunity for this family rather then compensation for losing their child, obviously, they cannot "purchase" a new kid. Nobody has to agree with me.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:34 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I'm not anti-lawsuit. And I don't know exactly what happened with this child. All I do know is that there is a huge difference between what this lawsuit is contending and what the original police reports say. Your suit is very different from this case.

Going to throw this out there. A family case about 25 years ago. A child, a toddler, was left in a grocery cart alone while mom went off to find something down the aisle. Child stood up and turned the cart over. Poor kid ended up partially deaf and brain damaged. The family won close to a million in a lawsuit. That's not right!

It's not the same thing as this suit since it's not as clear what happened in this restaurant, but please realize that questioning lawsuits doesn't mean someone is "anti-lawsuit".
Who did they sue? The store? Cart manufacturer? Unbelievable. A lot of the time, accident cases seem to be a result of people’s own stupidity. And they’re rewarded for it. I absolutely hate torts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events