Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:51 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/n...hot-woman.html

I have to say, I'm impressed by the husband's gracious response.

If it had been my wife, I'd be going after everything that neighbor owned and would make it the goal of my lawsuit to bankrupt him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 12:19 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
I'll be surprised if he's not charged with manslaughter. It's not easy to hit a target at 200 yards with a pistol in the dark.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:30 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
He ran 200 yards to her? He honestly thought he would hit a deer at 200 yards with a pistol in the dark? I call BS. I would make it my life's work to ruin this guys life.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,531 times
Quote:
The authorities said Ms. Billquist, 43, was walking when one of her neighbors, Thomas B. Jadlowski, believed he saw a deer in a field and fired a single-shot pistol.

Mr. Jadlowski heard a scream, and then ran about 200 yards to where he found Ms. Billquist with a gunshot wound, the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. He called 911 and applied pressure to her wound until medical help arrived. She was pronounced dead at a hospital in Erie, Pa.

Mr. Jadlowski, 34, had fired his pistol after sunset, and it is illegal to hunt deer after the sun goes down, the statement said.
Who hunts with a pistol? If this is accurate - it's not impossible to hit a deer at 200 yards with a handgun, but even for an expert it still entails a fair amount of luck at that distance - then it was grossly irresponsible to take the shot even had it been in full daylight with an accurate identification of the target. Shooting a maximum range is unacceptable. No hunter should ever take a shot without a high degree of confidence of inflicting a shot that immediately brings down the animal. Hunt responsibly with a rifle, you clown.

But I once had a coworker explain to me that on the last day he has to hunt, he'll take pretty much any shot (he was describing shooting at a deer silhouetted on a ridge at long range, and when I asked him he admitted that he didn't know what was behind the ridge - he missed), no matter how long the odds. Or, apparently, how irresponsible. Just because he wants to fill his tag. I know some hunters who are very responsible, but a large percentage of them are just clueless slobs who rarely if ever hit the range and who have no business operating a firearm. About half of the ones I've been around will turn and sweep the barrel of a weapon, loaded and safety off, across one or more people and think nothing of it. The concept of NEVER POINT A FIREARM AT SOMETHING YOU DON'T INTEND TO KILL is lost on them.

I spend a lot of time hiking the woods, but not during hunting season. Not even in protected areas where hunting is prohibited, because as this article indicates you simply cannot trust hunters to know what they're shooting at, where the boundaries of the protected areas are, or to even care. Some might obey the rules. Maybe even most. But all it takes is one idiot who sees movement in the brush and starts blasting away on the off chance that it's something legal to hunt.

Last edited by Hulsker 1856; 11-28-2017 at 05:14 PM..

Old 11-28-2017, 08:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/n...hot-woman.html

I have to say, I'm impressed by the husband's gracious response.

If it had been my wife, I'd be going after everything that neighbor owned and would make it the goal of my lawsuit to bankrupt him.
Right? Accidentally taking a human life because you were trying to take a deer’s just... isn’t even a little bit worth it. It’s beyond reckless. Maybe even beyond careless.

Was trying to kill that hypothetical deer so important? Hopefully not now.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:15 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,017 times
If I was the husband, the hunter would be waking up in a dingy warehouse chained to a pipe like one of the Saw movies. I would take my sweet time ending his life in the most horrible way possible.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
A kill shot from 200 yards in the dark with a pistol is possible but I'd like to see the odds. I'm leaning towards there is more to this story but that's crazy bad luck if it's true.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:24 PM

56 posts, read 34,566 times
bs story
sorry for loss of her life too young

Old 11-29-2017, 03:42 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,837 times
I am not a hunter, but a pistol to kill a deer?? Are pistols used for hunting? And the husband says it "saddens him" and "there has to be some kind of lesson"? That sounds like he is describing a minor incident, not his beloved wife being shot by some imbecile. Very "Strangers on the Train".

Old 11-29-2017, 03:49 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,531 times
Meanwhile, in Wisconsin, the legislature this year repealed the minimum age limit for hunting. It used to be that you had to be at least 10 years old to hunt in Wisconsin. Now, as leery as I am being around some idiots I've known that hunt, I'd much rather be around a 25-year-old idiot with a gun than you're average 10-year-old itching to get his first deer.

But now...

Quote:
MADISON, Wis. - The state Department of Natural Resources sold 10 hunting licenses to infants after Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill that eliminated the state's minimum hunting age.

Walker signed a Republican bill on Nov. 13 doing away with the 10-year-old minimum age to participate in a mentored hunt.

The DNR released data Tuesday that shows the agency had sold 1,814 mentored hunt licenses to children age nine or younger through Sunday. The vast majority -- 1,011 licenses -- went to nine-year-olds. Fifty-two licenses went to children under age 5, with 10 going to a child under a year old.
Wisconsin DNR sold 10 hunting licenses to infants - WISC

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events