Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 08:26 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The majority of people today in the U.S. live paycheck to paycheck. Add astronomical health care costs, rising COL and housing with stagnant wages as well and its a recipe for problems like this. People work and work and can barley keep up. For those with no safety net like family or some emergency savings, once homeless it is extremely difficult to climb out. Ruined credit, no fixed address and the physical and mental toll are a nightmare to deal with. Some have mental and substance abuse issues that put them in this position but many do not. Talk to people on a regular basis and you would be surprised how many people have gone down this road due to a bad turn in life.

5 days a week I enter and exit the a major subway hub here in Brooklyn. In the morning there are people laying on the floor in filthy tattered clothing all around Not 2 or 3 either. Far more then that. The sight of it almost daily is never not shocking to me, regardless of how many times I see it.

There is also an obsession with consumerism that is a factor also in American households. The need for the latest gadget combined with the ease in which to get it. There have been talks of Amazon drone delivery. Point is we have been practically brainwashed into the need to buy more and more. People can't save $$ for at least a rainy day even with some income left over after expenses, for those That have this available. That rainy day shows up for everyone. Sometimes it's a big storm if you catch my drift.

The politicians will not solve this issue. The merry go round of "we need to fix this problem" just keeps going. There is plenty of land, and ways to mass produce sturdy materials that are not high in costs to create at least basic housing. The Tiny house movement is a good start.

I like many hope for a solution one day, but after decades of the same song and dance with no answer, being positive about this is hard to come by.
Agreed. We have the means to solve the problem but not the will. Some of those people we'll need to get tough with. Some of them have been drunks for decades, some have been on drugs for decades. I work with a young guy now who was addicted to heroine for 4 years. It took a ruthless intervention from his family to turn his life around, rules and laws were broken but he made it. He was also given a chance by the company i work for. In a few more months this guy is going to be on the road by himself making good money and being a good husband and father.

It can be done.

The key thing is HE GOT AWAY FROM THE WORLD OF **** HE WAS IN!!

You get these people out of this screwed up society we live in and you let them heal. Put them in camps or something so they can get it together.

It does work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Agreed. We have the means to solve the problem but not the will. Some of those people we'll need to get tough with. Some of them have been drunks for decades, some have been on drugs for decades. I work with a young guy now who was addicted to heroine for 4 years. It took a ruthless intervention from his family to turn his life around, rules and laws were broken but he made it. He was also given a chance by the company i work for. In a few more months this guy is going to be on the road by himself making good money and being a good husband and father.

It can be done.

You get these people out of this screwed up society we live in and you let them heal. Put them in camps or something so they can get it together.

It does work.
Escaping an environment where the substance abuse problem has been occurring is indeed a huge factor. People who have recovered from these issues have cited a complete life change as being a factor. Putting distance both physical and otherwise from the same crowd they ran with and the places they hung out at. It does work you are absolutely right.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:09 PM

292 posts, read 569,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

It can be done.

It does work.
I heard a story where a woman was addicted to drugs, and her family imprisoned her in the cellar for 2 months. Steel door and everything.

Yes, I know, "false imprisonment". But better that than dead in some filthy crack house with a needle in her arm!

Old 02-14-2018, 06:04 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkingBlythe View Post
I heard a story where a woman was addicted to drugs, and her family imprisoned her in the cellar for 2 months. Steel door and everything.

Yes, I know, "false imprisonment". But better that than dead in some filthy crack house with a needle in her arm!
That was an episode of Shameless.

Actually if you did that you could kill someone from withdrawal symptoms. Better to be left to professionals.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:01 PM

292 posts, read 569,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
That was an episode of Shameless.
I've never watched that series, so maybe this guy's family got the idea from there?

Quote:
Actually if you did that you could kill someone from withdrawal symptoms. Better to be left to professionals.
And if that person is so far gone that you can't get him/her to the professionals? Call the police? Wouldn't they just dump that person back out into the streets within a week? What would you do in this situation?

Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Ok, so....there was a serial killer targeting people in Kansas City, mostly along suburban bike paths. Got caught within the last year and killed 4 or so.

Any of you hear about that one?

I only ask because I'm curious because I've been hearing nationally about the homeless killings (first the hammer guy, now the shooter) in Vegas but didn't see much about the KC killings so just wondering if it's my own perception or if others thought it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events