Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:51 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If you take a look at all the SAHM-bashing that goes on here and elsewhere on the internet, you'd understand that many women have a sense of shame about staying home with their children and foregoing a career. The criticisms of SAHDs can be even worse.
There is NO SHAME about putting your child's welfare above and beyond everything else. I would not trade being at home with my mom for all the expensive "things" two incomes could have bought. My dad busted his ass in night school to get to the next level of employment in his field, yet he still put in a lot of time being an ASM for the Scout troopmy brothers were in, going bike riding with me. Our overnight trips were weekend stays at his parents' house in the Catskills; what could be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 07:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
This was my point.

You might address this post to the other participant
How was that your point?

You said she looked normal and wouldn't like twice at her at the daycare.

That's the opposite of what I said, you're basing everything on looks, you have to go beyond looks.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
If you take a look at all the SAHM-bashing that goes on here and elsewhere on the internet, you'd understand that many women have a sense of shame about staying home with their children and foregoing a career. The criticisms of SAHDs can be even worse.
Well that is very sad.

Jacqueline Kennedy once said something along the lines of that if you fail as parent, it really doesn't matter what other successes you have in life.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Know waaaaay too many couples where at least one (if not both) makes a 6 figure salary...and then nearly sprain myself trying not to roll my eyes when they say they can't afford not to be dual income.

Uh, ok.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:28 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Know waaaaay too many couples where at least one (if not both) makes a 6 figure salary...and then nearly sprain myself trying not to roll my eyes when they say they can't afford not to be dual income.

Uh, ok.
Lots of 6 figure salaried people have huge student loan debt. Perhaps they are trying to pay that off. Who knows.

Even if one parent stays home, there are times that drop-in daycare is needed. I'm a SAHM, I can't take a child to my doctor's appointments, dental surgery, etc. there are times when it's necessary to have someone else look after your child. A babysitter or relative could have done the same thing this daycare worker did.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How was that your point?

You said she looked normal and wouldn't like twice at her at the daycare.

That's the opposite of what I said, you're basing everything on looks, you have to go beyond looks.
No, this person was basing it on her looks
Quote:
She sure looks like a weirdo in her mug shot.
I was saying that you can't base it on looks.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:51 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Lots of 6 figure salaried people have huge student loan debt. Perhaps they are trying to pay that off. Who knows.

Even if one parent stays home, there are times that drop-in daycare is needed. I'm a SAHM, I can't take a child to my doctor's appointments, dental surgery, etc. there are times when it's necessary to have someone else look after your child. A babysitter or relative could have done the same thing this daycare worker did.
As a parent who had to have a disabled child with her in the ER during 7 blood transfusions last year. Who has spent at least 17 of the 32 years I’ve been a mom paying as much as $2000 /month for childcare ... I get it.

I really do.

Fact is; this is detrimental to our society. Daycare can’t raise our children. It’s a lie. No amount of money will buy you a guarantee.

The fact that “more children are abused in the home” is an irrelevant distraction. I am not worried about becoming one of them. I am the best person to care for my children, period. Everything I subscribed to in my “beginner” parent days was a mistake; you can’t have it all without sacrificing something. And then you don’t have it all. Choose.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:11 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Fact is; this is detrimental to our society. Daycare can’t raise our children. It’s a lie. No amount of money will buy you a guarantee..

Then do you believe all children should be homeschooled as well? Because putting them in school means that other people, not the parents, are with them during the day.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:43 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
You mean rather than the hired workers? I've seen both.

Also, children are far more likely to be abused by their own family members.

A lot of posters here just want to talk about how wrong parents are for putting their kids on daycare. Many don't have a choice, especially if they are a single mom or dad and have to work.
Yep. Sadly, I have a sneaking suspicion that there'd be more child abuse if it weren't for daycare, early childhood education, Head Start, etc., providing childcare, regardless of the parents' finances and whether they need to work or even whether they do work. A lot of people just aren't psychologically prepared to sit alone with a kid all day. God bless everyone who enjoys it and does a good job with it, but I think if one looks at most societies over time and space, women were raising children more communally, bringing them along to their labors, relying on multigenerational support, etc. It shouldn't be any surprise that isolation and fatigue makes some parents nuts. I'm not excusing child abuse or neglect, mind you - what I am excusing is people who need others, including paid services, to share the burden of minding small children.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:43 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I am the best person to care for my children, period.
Why do you think that this is true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events