Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassnon View Post
Uhhh...There is clear facts.

I even posted some of them. His talks with Nixon are very damning as well as what he said about women.
I didn't know much about Billy or follow him or any evangelist for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If you bother to open the link to that article, then you can see it, and if you doubt the veracity of that article, you can find a fairly large number of news articles that reported the same thing. If you feel that he was a "Godly" man, you are entitled to that opinion, just as I am entitled to believe that he was a phony and a bigot as a result of his own words--which were memorialized on tape when he did not know that he was being recorded.

What somebody says or does when he thinks that nobody is watching or listening is the real measure of that person's moral compass.
I never paid that much attention to him. "Oh, it's Billy Graham. Is there anything good on TV?"

Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 AM

6,792 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Now, now, Mike, don't get testy. I'll initiate a thread on the Christianity forum either later today or tomorrow and we can discuss the issue (from an OVERALL scriptural viewpoint rather than one seemingly contradictory or, rather, one misunderstood text from Paul) in a level-headed manner . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I'm not the one who's getting testy. I've made it clear that this thread is not the place to debate whether or not the Bible teaches an intermediate state of life after death before the resurrection.

So start your thread on the Christianity forum and give it your best shot.
My 'best shot' will be simply going along with what the scriptures consistently say on that particular topic.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
"Nothing wrong with the 10 commandments."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8ooMBIyC8
I miss him. You could always count on him to make you laugh until it hurt.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Actually, if the 'bible' were 'true', then your statement would not be true.

See 1st Thessalonians, chapter 4, verses 13 through 18. (There are additional books, chapters and verses that could be referenced, but one will do.)

The dead [are supposed to] 'sleep' until the 'second coming'.
That's right. That's what I was taught.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:42 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassnon View Post
Uhhh...There is clear facts.

I even posted some of them. His talks with Nixon are very damning as well as what he said about women.
The way you have decided to portray Billy Graham tells us more about you than it does about him.

May he rest in peace.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:11 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
He was one of the better evangelists. He took pains to stay above reproach. Although criticized for refusing to be alone in a room with a woman, he realized the possible risks.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:26 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
He was one of the better evangelists. He took pains to stay above reproach. Although criticized for refusing to be alone in a room with a woman, he realized the possible risks.
Exactly. Who would you rather deal with, an overly cautious man like Billy Graham, or some creep like Howard Weinstein? Graham never put himself in the position to be accused of something like that. It may have been a bit paranoid, but of the two men, I know who I would rather trust...

As for all his other evils... he was 99. Most men (AND women) born 99 years ago have similar views. And especially if you pull quotes from them from 40-50 years ago...yeah. So I guess that means all old people are evil. If that's your view then console yourself with the fact that they'll soon all be dead anyway.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Rest in peace, Mr. Graham.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:19 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
As for all his other evils... he was 99. Most men (AND women) born 99 years ago have similar views. And especially if you pull quotes from them from 40-50 years ago...yeah. So I guess that means all old people are evil. If that's your view then console yourself with the fact that they'll soon all be dead anyway.
One of the strengths of Billy Graham was his humility. He acknowledged that he wasn't perfect and didn't always say the right things and would tone things down from the sainthood people would raise him to.

And the fact that people of such diverse backgrounds and philosophies admired him and looked to him as a spiritual leader because of his combination of strength and humility.

He was gifted with an unusual combination of quiet humility and charisma in his message and the way he delivered it that was very engaging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events