Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 01:28 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

I wonder what will be the next complaint in public.

Quote:
A mom who asked an online parenting forum if it was okay to let her child eat a peanut butter sandwich in public was flooded with a wave of negative comments, some of which called her “awful,” “inconsiderate” and “disgusting.”
And this:

Quote:
Of those who do become sick, only about 0.3 percent of cases are fatal, The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology reported. In another post, the journal called it “highly unlikely” that someone would have a major allergic reaction simply from coming into skin contact with peanut product, such as might happen if a child got peanut butter on them from the shopping cart.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...208682514.html

Old 04-12-2018, 01:37 PM

581 posts, read 456,677 times
It's a good thing all these snowflake parents weren't alive during the Spartan days, when defective kids got tossed off cliffs. I wonder what tomorrow's outrage will be?

Old 04-12-2018, 01:48 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Target sells peanut butter in their store. They also sell Snickers bars (with peanuts), Reese's peanut butter cups and other peanut-buttery snacks at the checkout stands. Lots of people snack on these in the store. It's not illegal to eat peanuts in public.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
I mean... if someone is apparently that deathly allergic to peanuts or really anything that is so common, should they even be leaving the house? ... Why does the world have to cater to the severely allergic few?

Old 04-12-2018, 02:22 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
If my kid is allergic to something it is MY responsibility to ensure their safety, not the general public's. I just assume everyone is following the law, but outside of that it is on the parents.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:26 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Target sells peanut butter in their store. They also sell Snickers bars (with peanuts), Reese's peanut butter cups and other peanut-buttery snacks at the checkout stands. Lots of people snack on these in the store. It's not illegal to eat peanuts in public.

Well, those are sealed..

The only way I agree with this is if the kid was eating peanut butter and smearing it all over his face and hands and getting it over things in the store.. That is disgusting. Not from an allergy standpoint, it's just nasty.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:31 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, those are sealed..

Sure, they're sealed but you can buy them in the store, open them up and eat them. In the store. Many people do that, every day.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:35 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If my kid is allergic to something it is MY responsibility to ensure their safety, not the general public's. I just assume everyone is following the law, but outside of that it is on the parents.
Exactly! My Grandson is allergic to tree nuts. We are all aware of this, (the kid, the parents, the grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) and do our best to ensure that he never gets anything with any kind of tree nut in it. That is OUR job! No one else has any responsibility to ensure he avoids them.
There are other members of our family who have allergies and sensitivities. Again, it is OUR responsibility to assist them in avoidance of such products.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:39 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
My take on it is that all the Targets I know have a fast food restaurant like Subway inside by the front entrance. The mom should have taken her kid there to eat his peanut butter sandwich. Otherwise, yes it is unacceptable that he would be eating it anywhere else in the store.

1. He would be leaving crumbs and yes, possible traces of peanut butter that could affect those with a peanut allergy.

2. Inside a store is really not clean enough to be eating anything, let alone sandwich which is held with bare hands.

3. I really hate parents who can't say no to their kids or tell them to wait to eat or do anything (except needing to go to the bathroom). If it was mealtime, then the whole family should be eating at a regular mealtime. So why isn't the mom joining her kid in eating her own sandwich? Why couldn't they eat in their car if they didn't want to sit at the restaurant? And if we are talking afternoon snack, then her kid is a fatty waiting to happen. Kids need to learn discipline and patience. And there is nothing wrong with feeling pangs of hunger. It's just the body saying that it's getting time to eat again, but nothing bad is going to happen if the meal doesn't happen right away. It's okay to ignore hunger pangs. It's all about mind over matter.

No wonder humans have a tendency to obesity.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:40 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,881 times
What would happen to these people, whose allergies are allegedly so severe, when they fly, and peanuts are served? That is certainly a much smaller environment than a Target. Don’t people who are deathly allergic carry epinephrine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events