Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 05:34 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times

Advertisements

That is very sad.

I must say, my old sat-nav was set on "death mode" for a time, and I finally got rid of it.

When I was in Cairo, Illinois trying to drive out of town, it told me to "continue for two miles."

As I followed its instruction, I came to a gravel road, and then a dirt road, and then an embankment which faced the river. (I can't remember now if it was the Ohio or the Mississippi River.)

As I sat there in my car (stopped) looking out at the great river, sat-nav repeatedly said, "continue for 1/2 mile."

So yeah, sometimes they're set on "death mode."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 08:10 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
This is a tragic story but I'm also confused at the apparent blaming of the GPS. When one follows a GPS, they do not blindly make turns or change lanes or something - or at least should not just because the GPS is telling them what to do. You are still controlling the car and need to obey laws and basic rules of traffic. Even if a GPS is telling you to drive into a river, like because a road ends but the GPS software is somehow unaware, unless conditions are really bad and you can't see, it's still not the GPS's fault if you actually drive into the river.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:12 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
if you can't follow a computer voice to direct your every move without question, emitting from an electronic gizmo plugged into your cigarette lighter, then, well...I just don't know anymore

Old 04-06-2018, 10:22 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Of course it goes without saying that following a GPS should never trump careful observation of the surroundings. GPS can be a real blessing for people driving in an unfamiliar area, but it is not infallible.
Considering all of the calls I field from folks trying to find where I work (I work at a steel company so we get a lot of delivery trucks in from out of state), who end up at the same street address but in a completely different zip code, GPS is far from being a blessing. Does GPS NOT carry all the way out to the zip code when you input the destination? Because we are in one zip code, yet they end up in another zip code, both of which are Albany, NY zip codes, except that our zip covers Albany plus at least one neighboring village (which happens to be our physical location).

Google Maps is a bit better, but not by much. I used it last summer to go from my house in Watervliet NY (just above Albany) to South Lansing, NY (outside Ithaca) for a family reunion, and it was my 1st time ever driving out that way by myself. For the most part it was fine, but it did send me on this weird side road route at one point, where all it SHOULD have done (according to both my father and a paper county map) was send me to one of the next towns to pick up the next route.

But at least it knows how to find 566 B'way, Albany, NY 12204 (which is actually in the Village of Menands) without sending someone to 566 B'way, Albany, NY 12207 (this is the example I alluded to in my 1st paragraph). GPS can't seem to find the first address to save its life.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:44 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It's disturbing that some people blindly follow GPS instructions....not saying that happened here, but I've been in the car when nitwits make turns without any knowledge of possible errors or danger.

I agree! First, follow GPS but pay attention to the signs and traffic also. Secondly, don't drive in other countries if you're not familiar with their signs, roads, etc.

Nonetheless, sad

Old 04-06-2018, 11:04 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Shortly before we embarked on vacation DH bought a second GPS. While I drove, he used both. In the spirit of scientific inquiry, y'know.

The shortcomings of this technique became apparent when I said, "Am I supposed to make a left turn ahead?"

His response: "I don't know. The TomTom says one thing and the Garmin says another."

It is ridiculous to blame a device (or devices) when you are the one who chose to use them.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:20 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,601 times
it's weird to me that there is so much emphasis on what the gps told them to do. this is not the fault of gps.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:21 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Do people really expect the GPS to have to say "when traffic is clear ..." before each instruction it gives?

I'm sorry for this family, but it's not the GPS' fault. There is some level of common sense that has to come into play. You don't break traffic laws, and you proceed when it's safe to do so.
exactly.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:34 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,901 times
Sorry that happened to them.I don't understand why so many people are adamant about following some GPS???Whatever happened to having an actual map in hand and before getting on the road...map out the direction in where you want to go?People are relying too much on technology and not enough on their own merit and navigational skills.A physical map is more accurate then those stupid GPS.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:37 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Sorry that happened to them.I don't understand why so many people are adamant about following some GPS???Whatever happened to having an actual map in hand and before getting on the road...map out the direction in where you want to go?People are relying too much on technology and not enough on their own merits.
Using the technology isn't the problem. Using the technology to the exclusion of common sense is the problem.

I don't use paper maps anymore. I find GPS to be MUCH better (real time traffic updates, spoken instructions rather than reading as I'm driving), but I also know to follow traffic laws and wait for right-of-way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events