Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 07:11 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Actually, U-turns are performed via the round-abouts that are used at many intersections in the UK. The driver may have not even given it a second thought when he heard the sat-nav telling him to make a U-turn at an intersection. We'll never know.
But the signs are similar, so the driver should have known not to make the U-Turn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 07:35 PM

323 posts, read 222,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Could you share an example because this sounds good?
I have many examples and stories. Just because a GPS tells you to go on a certain road or turn, doesn't mean you do it.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Do people really expect the GPS to have to say "when traffic is clear ..." before each instruction it gives?

I'm sorry for this family, but it's not the GPS' fault. There is some level of common sense that has to come into play. You don't break traffic laws, and you proceed when it's safe to do so.
You might consider reading the article before posting.

Quote:
He said: "The GPS had indicated for them to make a U-turn at that intersection which was an illegal U-turn unfortunately and violated the right of way of the pick-up truck.”

Old 04-08-2018, 08:42 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
GPS has also told people to drive into lakes as well... and people have... because, there's a magic road there
http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/01/w...champlain.html

GPS is not a magic genie, it doesn't replace the need for an attentive driver

Old 04-08-2018, 11:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And your point being?

Just because the GPS gave certain directions, doesn't mean the driver needs to follow those instructions. My GPS told me to drive through a baseball field the other day. Did I do it? No, because I have common sense. The same with a GPS saying to make an illegal u-turn. Either make that illegal u-turn when the traffic is clear, or find a safer place to turn around.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:37 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Our town has a large manufacturing plant bordered by residential areas. There is a way to get to it on 4-lane, wide roads, but we have truck drivers who blindly follow their GPS, driving their 53-foot trailers through neighborhoods, taking out street markers, tearing up yards, running through ditches.
You'd think they'd notice the signs saying "NO TRUCKS" and notice that there are narrow streets and houses, but no - GPS says go this way and that's how I'm going!

Old 04-09-2018, 04:08 AM

27 posts, read 24,151 times
use some common sense?

Old 04-09-2018, 06:09 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But even when making a right turn, you need to yield to traffic.
Not if you're turning right into a parking lot, which would be the equivalent to the story of the 4 UK girls I was talking about.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:03 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
That is very sad.

I must say, my old sat-nav was set on "death mode" for a time, and I finally got rid of it.

When I was in Cairo, Illinois trying to drive out of town, it told me to "continue for two miles."

As I followed its instruction, I came to a gravel road, and then a dirt road, and then an embankment which faced the river. (I can't remember now if it was the Ohio or the Mississippi River.)

As I sat there in my car (stopped) looking out at the great river, sat-nav repeatedly said, "continue for 1/2 mile."

So yeah, sometimes they're set on "death mode."

Lmao!

Old 04-09-2018, 08:04 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,715 times
I just got back from Houston, where I attended a wedding.
The highway was under construction in the area where our hotel was located, and Google navigation told me to "exit now" a couple of times where there was no exit (just a concrete divider).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events