Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Exactly. Laws are important but US has so many stupid laws issued by many different level of government. And the school conduct is most likely governed by the state laws that could be different in every state. And there was once a law that prohibited white to marry not just Blacks but also Asians and pretty much any other race. There was a law prohibiting homosexual relationships. If everyone respected all the laws all the time, US would be a pretty different country than it is right now.
Yeah, thats the point Ive been trying to make, with some laws, people are eventually celebrated for breaking or disobeying them...but this usually takes decades to happen. The same thing will happen in the future in relations to laws that are on the books right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 10:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
IANAL, but AFAIK, same deal... it's NOT illegal, but many colleges and universities have policies that forbid this. So you won't go to jail, but you'll get fired.

Similar thing with the workplace... many of them have a policy that boss dating subordinate is NOT OK. If you date a coworker, let HR know so that they can note issues of what's work related vs. what's personal.
I dont understand how it can be illegal in high schools (when both parties are adults, and one is in a authoritative position), that should apply to colleges and workplaces too if they are going to enforce it in high schools.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:23 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont understand how it can be illegal in high schools (when both parties are adults, and one is in a authoritative position), that should apply to colleges and workplaces too if they are going to enforce it in high schools.
Are you arguing relations with 18yo students? If so then that shouldn't be illegal (again, AFAIK). However, the teacher may likely get fired if caught.

For 17yo or younger, obviously, they aren't of age.

In all other environments I've brought up (college, office) students, faculty, and employees are likely to be 18 for sure, so it's just a policy thing as opposed to what the law says.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:28 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Colleges over the last several years have started to adopt guidelines prohibiting relationships between faculty and students. Mostly due to the "imbalance of power" issue.

And truthfully, every college, every single one, had professors who preyed on students.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:15 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Is educational “blackmail†ever a thing in these cases of Female Teacher/Male Student?

Or would that not happen if the motivation were the flattery for the woman; that she gets to be the coveted “hot teacher�

I’m just wondering because I had a male 6th grade teacher with some “issuesâ€. And he definitely was using educational blackmail on me. I can’t see him as caring one bit whether or not I found him attractive. That was not the motivation.

Maybe that is why I just can’t see the female teacher/male student scenario as “the sameâ€. Unless it’s “the same†because both ways; it’s what the male wants that is the motivator (not saying it’s okay for the female teacher to accommodate).

Hmm. I don’t know. I need to think that through some more.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:04 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,730 times
I think some adults are forever stuck in that high school period of their life, they become teachers to get a chance to do it all over again, a second chance. Im guessing she was very unpopular when she was a student and never dated, so now is her chance to get that cute boy in class, that fact that she is twice his age doesnt enter into the equation , emotional she is still 15.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:30 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
As a male high school teacher of now 14 years I'l provide some theories as to the why. (My first year teaching I was 23 and had a full slate of high school seniors. Female students who were 17, 18 years of age by years end....it was weird being 23 in a class of kids who for all intents and purposes were a year away from college and I had just left college)

I'll also mention I don't buy into the premeditated predator theory. The one some on here are saying that these people get into education purely to have the opportunity to be around young people and have access to them. You do realize that means you're saying that at age 17 or 18 when this woman was applying to college she said to herself "All I need to do is go 4 maybe 5 years, get my degree, pass a couple licensing tests and then I can get me some 14 year old". I hope that sounds as crazy to most as it does to me.

1. Loneliness - Normally I would chalk this up to teachers in their 20s, in a new community far away from "home". Needing some kind of a relationship with the opposite sex can blur clear thinking. Especially if you're in a place that does not have many young people your own age or like yourself. Now where this took place is in a suburban community outside Dayton Ohio and just north of Cincinnati. Not exactly BFE. Surprised she couldn't find at least ONE suitable male in his 30s or late 20s.

2. They were popular in high school - one trend i've noticed with many of the female teachers that end up in these situations is they were the popular ones when they were in school and the rules never applied to them so why should they apply now? Or in some cases they are inadvertently reliving their middle school / high school days, feel a need to be part of the "cool kids" club again and well again forget who and what they are engage in this sort of activity.

3. This goes back to #2. Some teachers just never left high school. It happens. They enjoyed high school so much they became a teacher. And then they became the "cool" teacher. And then well this happens.

4. Loss of a significant other / tense relationship. I've also seen where many of these female teachers emerge from relationships that have ended or are on rocky ground and so they reach for anyone who is giving them any attention. A female science teacher in my school district in her late 30s was arrested for sending a boy in her class lewd pictures and engaging in some non intercourse activity with him. She alleged that her husband had not paid her any physical attention in years and their marriage was rocky at best.

Again, just theories based on what I've seen over the years in some of these cases.

I would also point that this activity seems more regular only because we have much more access to news and info these days. 20 years ago this would have been national news only because it got reported via the media only so often (IMO due to minimal media vessels available to transmit this sort of story). Without the internet would any of us really know that this story happened? I mean 20 years ago it would've had to break locally, fester around town for a while, MAYBE get picked up by the AP and if it were juicy enough make it on to CNN. Now these stories go from local to national overnight but then die pretty quickly because we're on to the next big story whatever it may be.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:40 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If some teacher was going after my teenage son, there would be hell to pay.
You mean your teenage son who is on the Internet every time your back is turned trying to find hot babes, especially older ones, to cam with?

Ask him about this babe.

https://everipedia-storage.s3-accele...ord__72043.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm in no way condoning in any shape manor or way... an Adult in position of authority over a minor... but there are other cases of "Adults" and "Minors" whose love spanned decades.

The retired couple I bought my home from met when he was in the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs... not sure if they called it that 50++ years ago... he was 18 and she was 16... she worked as a waitress.

She told her parents they were going to get married and she would run away from home to do it... the parents relented... so a bride at 16 and a mother at 17... they just celebrated 55 years married..
A cute story, but complete BS. Undergraduates at the service academies were not allowed to be married while they were undergraduates. They had to wait until after graduation to get married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
He's 14. At that age, his emotional maturity and reasoning abilities are just starting to develop. That's why it's up to the ADULT to guide him towards what's right and what's wrong.

That's like saying "well, my 3-year old proposed that we eat cake every meal so I guess we're going to have to do that".
I will agree that a 14 year old boy isn't mature enough to decide on whether or not to have sex, especially with an adult.

But why then is a 13 year old girl mature enough to decide on whether or not to have an abortion without her parents knowledge or consent?

Which of the two is potentially more damaging to a young person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If we allow all teachers to have sex with students, our schools will become a cesspool. That's why it's a crime in my state for a teacher to have sex with a high school student even if he's 18. And it should be a crime.
If the student is of legal age, it should not be a crime.

It should be a fire-able offence by school district (state BOE) standards and policies as a breech of professional ethics, but not a crime.

Quote:
If that were true, then why isnt it a crime for college professors to engage in relationships with students? they are definitely in a position of authority over the student.
It isn't a crime because the crime with a high school student is usually an age of consent issue.

Quote:
Again, there is a difference between a crime and breaking a professional code/policy.

What statutes do you know of where it is illegal for two consenting adults to have sex where one is a teacher and one is the student?

Old 05-06-2018, 06:38 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Practical way for young males to learn about sex -- from their hot teachers. Old customs always to ruin good things.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:30 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,806 times
When I was in secondary school, the teachers in their twenties wouldn't do something like this. Not where I went to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events