Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 10:03 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
As far as the specifics, if there is some type of regulation that specifically says that you must attend or be a guest of a student attending the school in order to attend prom, then she's out of luck as she does not fit that definition.
This seems reasonable to me--and I'm a former homeschooler. My state does not allow homeschooled kids to play intramural sports at public schools, but they can, for instance, participate in the band or orchestra at the discretion of the leader. My nephews did this, but it didn't make them enrolled students and they wouldn't have been allowed to attend dances.

I can understand that the school does not want to start a precedent of allowing all homeschooled kids in the area, plus all kids who used to attend that school but now go somewhere else, to show up uninvited at their prom.

If this girl used to attend the school and has friends there, couldn't she ask a friend to "invite" her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 10:16 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Isn't the purpose of home schooling to avoid contamination by the "undesirable" public school population? The nature of undesirability is, of course, defined according to the belief system of the family. Religion, race, economic status, all can be used as justification for shunning public schools.

Why would someone who deliberately avoids interacting with the public school population even want to participate in a public school prom?

Could it be it's just an opportunity to claim victimhood and cause mischief?
Yes, makes no sense. The home schooled kids don't know the public school kids. They didn't participate in the school's events or classes. Their parents chose to keep them in isolation. I feel sorry for the kids, but I'm perplexed by the parents think their kids should be able to attend an event at a school they didn't attend?

I pay taxes. Can I go to the local school's prom, too? I'm over 60. You think they'll notice?

Old 04-14-2018, 10:20 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Yes, makes no sense. The home schooled kids don't know the public school kids. They didn't participate in the school's events or classes. Their parents chose to keep them in isolation. I feel sorry for the kids, but I'm perplexed by the parents think their kids should be able to attend an event at a school they didn't attend?
I know it's off topic, but if we could only put to rest this mistaken notion that homeschooled kids are "kept in isolation." Maybe, if you're the Turpins. Otherwise, homeschooled kids are out and about as much as public schooled kids, if not more so.

My own homeschooled kids knew plenty of public school kids from our neighborhood, church, sports, and other activities. While they were never invited to a public school prom, if they had been, they would have gone happily and no doubt had a good time.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
I think there's more to this story than the short article portrays. She was allowed to attend homecoming and suddenly isn't allowed at prom. If that's all there is to it, I think the school should be consistent in their policy and let her go, but I don't think we're getting the whole story.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:23 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I know it's off topic, but if we could only put to rest this mistaken notion that homeschooled kids are "kept in isolation." Maybe, if you're the Turpins. Otherwise, homeschooled kids are out and about as much as public schooled kids, if not more so.

My own homeschooled kids knew plenty of public school kids from our neighborhood, church, sports, and other activities. While they were never invited to a public school prom, if they had been, they would have gone happily and no doubt had a good time.
Yes, but the key word there is "invited." This girl wasn't invited by a student at the school, she is trying to attend on her own, with her date being another kid who isn't a student at the school.

Prom is a bonding time with the kids you have been together with for years, sometimes 12 or 13 years by senior year, not some random party. I guess her case may be a little different if she had been attending school with these same kids up until 10th grade, but still, it's not the same as being as prom with your classmates.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:27 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
In my experience, prom has always been more exclusive than homecoming and has stricter standards. Kids that don't attend the school don't attend unless they are dating a senior from that school. Some seniors elect to graduate a semester early. Tough luck! No prom for them. They are no longer students at the school. I think the school is worried about not being able to control the situation if they bring in kids that don't belong there. If one of their students acts up, they can suspend them or withhold the diploma. If a non-student acts up, the school can call the police for severe actions, but that is about it. When you walk across the stage at graduation, you don't get your diploma. The school is doing what the school traditionally does.

At homecoming,you can sneak a few more students in and you may not need to sign up in advance depending upon the school. I chaperoned high school homecoming this year. I brought a junior high student in (my child). That would not have been allowed at prom.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:38 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
In my experience, prom has always been more exclusive than homecoming and has stricter standards. Kids that don't attend the school don't attend unless they are dating a senior from that school. Some seniors elect to graduate a semester early. Tough luck! No prom for them. They are no longer students at the school. I think the school is worried about not being able to control the situation if they bring in kids that don't belong there. If one of their students acts up, they can suspend them or withhold the diploma. If a non-student acts up, the school can call the police for severe actions, but that is about it. When you walk across the stage at graduation, you don't get your diploma. The school is doing what the school traditionally does.

At homecoming,you can sneak a few more students in and you may not need to sign up in advance depending upon the school. I chaperoned high school homecoming this year. I brought a junior high student in (my child). That would not have been allowed at prom.
This makes sense. thanks for a different perspective.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:39 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,672,289 times
I can't believe the ignorance and prejudice toward home-schooled kids seen throughout this thread still persists in 2018.

Last edited by Bitey; 04-14-2018 at 11:12 PM..

Old 04-14-2018, 10:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think there's more to this story than the short article portrays. She was allowed to attend homecoming and suddenly isn't allowed at prom. If that's all there is to it, I think the school should be consistent in their policy and let her go, but I don't think we're getting the whole story.
Its possible that she was invited to the homecoming dance by someone who attended the school. For prom, she wants to go with someone who doesn't attend the school. If she really wanted to go and spend time with friends that attend that school, it seems like she could find someone to invite her as their "date".

Old 04-14-2018, 10:55 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
If a child attends a private school that doesn't have a football team, is he allowed to try out for the public school's football team? After all, his parents pay taxes that support the public school.

People who homeschool say that it is an equivalent or better education than attending school. If we don't allow private school kids to participate in public school activities, why should we allow homeschoolers to? If we demand that public school students maintain a certain GPA in order to participate in certain extracurriculars, why should we allow homeschoolers to do so, when they don't attend that school, cannot achieve the required GPA at the school because they don't attend the school, are not a part of that school community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events