Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 12:18 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

"Probably not the nicest little old lady to have living in your house."

My wife was a retired school teacher in a wheel chair. She carried concealed all day EVERY day. She said she might as well have a sign that said "Victim". We were happily married for nearly 53 years. She never went into one of those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 01:41 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Then consider just how hard it would have been for her son, a 72-year old man, to be her full time caretaker.

That's true. I did consider it because my own family has gone through 2 family members dying from dementia and our mother is now deteriorating along the same path.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:22 AM

727 posts, read 151,734 times
Angry *

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis
www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44707643

So now she's probably going to prison instead.
Yes if justice is served....She is mean and wicked!!
(Doesnt realise how lucky she was)

Old 07-05-2018, 08:37 AM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Why don't people post an article from a news source closer to where the incident took place, instead of using a link to an article in a British news source to reference an incident taking place in Arizona?

Records: 92-year-old woman kills son after refusing to be sent to assisted living facility
What difference does it make?

Old 07-05-2018, 08:44 AM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1954 View Post
There's probably a lot more to this story than the media frenzy...I'd be interested in police calls reports to the house,social services issues.
I worked in a locked dementia care unit in a SNCF and while I guess it isn't impossible, most dont have the ability to string to lucid thoughts together,never mind,plan this execution style and conceal 2 weapons.
We don’t know she was that advanced. I work in skilled nursing homes too and some dementia residents are still very much lucid. I had a rehab patient the other day who was moved from the rehab hall to the memory care unit, who told me she would kill her kids if she could, then changed it to “just my daughter” and went on and on about how she saved for her golden years and now she’s losing everything. She is very much aware. The dementia symptoms show up when she refuses therapy then we try again 20 minutes later and she doesn’t remember we were already there. But in the moment she is aware what’s going on. We have no idea of this woman’s cognition at this point.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:02 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
........... I can't imagine putting a 92 year old in prison, anywhere.
She can't be left loose in society if her answer is to kill anyone who tries to defy her. Maybe her brain is deteriorating, maybe not. But if her brain is deteriorating in the direction of killing her caregivers, she really can't be left to wander wherever she wills. So what else are you going to do with her?

My MIL, who was the nastiest, most hateful human I've ever met, announced to anyone who would listen that her husband should be put down. "They put down dogs when they get old and useless", she'd say

Her husband died shortly after, and I always wondered. He was elderly, in poor health, and a death certificate was just issued without even the slightest question. She was quite pleased to have him gone.

Murder isn't something a person grows out of as they get older. A person capable of it is still capable of it when they reach their senior years

Old 07-05-2018, 11:38 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Delusions, suspicions and paranoia are common symptoms of dementia: https://www.unforgettable.org/blog/w...-and-paranoia/

I know from personal experience that appeals to logic and common sense don’t work.

However, as I stated earlier, it is not known whether dementia was a factor in this case.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
If given the choice between prison and a nursing home, I'd probably choose prison. Nursing homes are filled with the stench of poop from all the adult diapers and there are often puddles of urine in the hallways, and even in the dining room. There are germs everywhere and communicable diseases. At least in prison you wouldn't deal with these things quite that much.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:01 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
If the story is accurate the girlfriend was next and is lucky to be alive. No sympathy for this old lady, she's a murderer. But with that said no prison is never a better place than, well, anywhere. And that includes a nursing home.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:26 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Canadian prisons are luxurious compared to many other prison systems in the world. I don't feel sorry for her. She will be well taken care of now.
Exactly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events