Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:09 PM

10,368 posts, read 8,006,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
And are YOU willing to literally take a hit so that the gun won't used in other crimes. The manager gets into a fight with the thief, a gun goes off killing or seriously injuring you or a loved one. Since you believe in the cause of the gun not being used later on in potential future crimes, you'll agree not to sue the store, and accept that the death or injury of you or someone you're close to is acceptable?
Yes, I'm willing to take that chance. There's simply no way for anyone (including uniformed police officers) to stop a crime in progress that will be 100% safe for bystanders.

The chances of your scenario occurring is far, far lower than the chances I'll be hit by a stray bullet fired by some gangbanger who's decided to shoot up my city's downtown (something that's already happened once here this summer, and cost an innocent 20 year old woman her life).

Old 07-17-2018, 12:33 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
There is no "gun show loophole." The laws pertaining to the sale of firearms are the same in gun shows as they are everywhere else. The problem you are referring to is actually straw purchasing; it's already illegal, but good luck getting the BATF to take it seriously and actually prosecute it.
The gun show loophole is real and what it refers to is unlicensed persons selling at gun shows are able to do so without the buyer going through a background check, it happens at almost every gun show and for the few shows that only allow licensed dealers to rent a booth those transactions occur in the parking lot.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The gun show loophole is real and what it refers to is unlicensed persons selling at gun shows are able to do so without the buyer going through a background check, it happens at almost every gun show and for the few shows that only allow licensed dealers to rent a booth those transactions occur in the parking lot.
A private sale is a private sale, inside or outside a gun show, and while no background check is required in a private sale it is illegal for a private seller to sell a firearm to a prohibited purchaser. The seller can and should be prosecuted for making such a sale (and so should the buyer - it's also illegal for a prohibited person to purchase or to attempt to purchase a firearm). But good luck getting the government to do it.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:39 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just closing the gun show loophole would keep hundreds and even thousands of guns out of the hands of criminals,
Where did you get "hundreds of thousands" from? An FFL dealer must do a background check even in a gun show, and most gun show sales are by FFL dealers.

Relatively few individuals spend the money to pay for a gun show booth. They will sell their private guns out in any parking lot...that's not a "gun show loophole."

Old 07-17-2018, 12:44 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Seems to me that is the part that is irrelevant. When that mgr mgr started chasing the thief he had no idea whether or not the guy came into the store armed or not. Just because he was stealing a gun doesn't mean he didn't already have one. The manager had absolutely no way of knowing one way or the other.
I have the feeling that if the headline had read that the guy got killed instead of losing his job there would be a lot of people on here discussing what a stupid move it was for an unarmed mgr to chase an armed thief.
Depends on the specific circumstances of the moment--he judged his opportunity was good, and the outcome proved his judgment was correct.

But however it would have turned out, it was still morally right.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:59 PM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Seems to me that is the part that is irrelevant. When that mgr mgr started chasing the thief he had no idea whether or not the guy came into the store armed or not. Just because he was stealing a gun doesn't mean he didn't already have one. The manager had absolutely no way of knowing one way or the other.
I have the feeling that if the headline had read that the guy got killed instead of losing his job there would be a lot of people on here discussing what a stupid move it was for an unarmed mgr to chase an armed thief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Where did you get "hundreds of thousands" from? An FFL dealer must do a background check even in a gun show, and most gun show sales are by FFL dealers.

Relatively few individuals spend the money to pay for a gun show booth. They will sell their private guns out in any parking lot...that's not a "gun show loophole."
I said hundreds OR even thousands, not hundreds OF thousands. All I know is gun shows in Virginia are known to be s source that guns which end up in the streets of DC etc come from. I just find it ironic that people are ballistic over the thought one stolen gun might have ended up in the streets, it is sooo imperative to keep that one out of a criminals hands that they are willing to risk innocent lives in the store to stop it, but laws proposed to try to stop massive amounts of illegal guns would have the same people crying foul.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
A private sale is a private sale, inside or outside a gun show, and while no background check is required in a private sale it is illegal for a private seller to sell a firearm to a prohibited purchaser. The seller can and should be prosecuted for making such a sale (and so should the buyer - it's also illegal for a prohibited person to purchase or to attempt to purchase a firearm). But good luck getting the government to do it.
I know what the law is, and the seller has no obligation to determine if the buyer is a prohibited person so miss me with that. I used to see licensed dealers and unlicensed sellers transferring guns to buyers with full sleeve and even facial gang tattoos in the parking lot of the gun shows. Those gun shows are like the wild west, the motto seems to be that laws were made to be broken.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I know what the law is, and the seller has no obligation to determine if the buyer is a prohibited person so miss me with that. I used to see licensed dealers and unlicensed sellers transferring guns to buyers with full sleeve and even facial gang tattoos in the parking lot of the gun shows. Those gun shows are like the wild west, the motto seems to be that laws were made to be broken.
And as long as no one is being prosecuted for selling to prohibited persons, that's going to continue. Laws aren't self-enforcing, unfortunately. And requiring a background check won't magically fix things, either; the criminals will simply send someone who CAN pass the check to do the purchasing for them. EVERYONE knows that both direct selling to prohibited persons and straw purchases are going on, but both the BATF and local law enforcement does nothing.

Laws which are not enforced are useless.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
And as long as no one is being prosecuted for selling to prohibited persons, that's going to continue. Laws aren't self-enforcing, unfortunately. And requiring a background check won't magically fix things, either; the criminals will simply send someone who CAN pass the check to do the purchasing for them. EVERYONE knows that both direct selling to prohibited persons and straw purchases are going on, but both the BATF and local law enforcement does nothing. Laws which are not enforced are useless.
Requiring a background check for all gun sales would go a long way toward solving the problem, it's really that simple

Old 07-17-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Requiring a background check for all gun sales would go a long way toward solving the problem, it's really that simple
I'm not opposed to universal background checks, but unless there's also a serious attempt on the part of law enforcement to prosecute straw purchases universal background checks will do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events