Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:08 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'm not opposed to universal background checks, but unless there's also a serious attempt on the part of law enforcement to prosecute straw purchases universal background checks will do nothing.
That's an ATF issue and not one to lay on the feet of local law enforcement. If you think straw purchases should be pursued more aggressively tell your congressional reps, but universal background checks would cut way down on the number of guns being sold to prohibited persons.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:32 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I just find it ironic that people are ballistic over the thought one stolen gun might have ended up in the streets, it is sooo imperative to keep that one out of a criminals hands that they are willing to risk innocent lives in the store to stop it, but laws proposed to try to stop massive amounts of illegal guns would have the same people crying foul.
It's not a matter of "going ballistic," it's a matter of judging the action of the person who was there and already involved at the moment something with likely deadly consequences was happening right in his face.

At that moment, he had a decision to make in stopping that particular gun from falling into bad hands. He had nothing to do with gun shows--that wasn't his business, that issue doesn't involve him, there's nothing he could do to stop gun show sales.

But at that moment, right in front of him, there was something he could do.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:09 PM

50,798 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's not a matter of "going ballistic," it's a matter of judging the action of the person who was there and already involved at the moment something with likely deadly consequences was happening right in his face.

At that moment, he had a decision to make in stopping that particular gun from falling into bad hands. He had nothing to do with gun shows--that wasn't his business, that issue doesn't involve him, there's nothing he could do to stop gun show sales.

But at that moment, right in front of him, there was something he could do.
Not talking about him, I’m talking about some of the posters here.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:16 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/3b0bf1a...ger-fired.html

A man who worked for Academy Sports as a manager was fired after detaining gun thief suspect. He tackled the suspect after showing him a 40mm handgun and ammo which the suspect tried to run off with. The suspect had stolen 2 guns earlier at a pawn shop.
I guess Academy is worried about being sued by the thief so they fired the manager.
It just seems criminals get more protection and rights than law abiding citizens. Just doesn't seem right.
It's a problem with the times we live in.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mgm-resor...172715315.html

Another example. MGM is suing all the victims of the big Las Vegas shooting to terminate all the lawsuits against them because they "didn't do enough".

Their business is to provide rooms. Not search everyones bags. I certainly wouldn't stay at a hotel that wants to search my bags.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:06 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I said hundreds OR even thousands, not hundreds OF thousands. All I know is gun shows in Virginia are known to be s source that guns which end up in the streets of DC etc come from. I just find it ironic that people are ballistic over the thought one stolen gun might have ended up in the streets, it is sooo imperative to keep that one out of a criminals hands that they are willing to risk innocent lives in the store to stop it, but laws proposed to try to stop massive amounts of illegal guns would have the same people crying foul.
And you know this how?
I bought 3 guns this year at the gun show, they ran a check on me for all 3.
What is the loophole at the gun show you keep talking about? Duo you even know what you are talking about?
What laws are proposed that would stop massive amounts of illegal guns that are any different than laws on guns today?

Old 07-18-2018, 05:34 AM

50,798 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
And you know this how?
What is the loophole at the gun show you keep talking about? Duo you even know what you are talking about?
What laws are proposed that would stop massive amounts of illegal guns that are any different than laws on guns today?
I know this because I read. I don't pretend to be an expert or to know gun laws inside out, but I read and I learn things. I didn't make up the terms. We also had a post by someone who goes to gun shows and has a different view than you do.

My point btw is not to push for new gun laws, I'm not an activist I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of those who would go to any length to prevent this one gun from reaching the hands of a criminal, clutching pearls and clucking “What if he went out and committed a robbery with that gun later or sold it to someone who commits a robbery and kills someone, he HAD to be stopped” when dozens a day reach the hands of criminals and no only does no one care, they have fits if anyone dares propose cracking down on the shows many of these guns come from.

https://www.roanoke.com/news/politic...483294f0c.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-gun-laws.html

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-18-2018 at 06:20 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
And you know this how?
You know darned well what it is, if not look for my posts in this thread where I explained it.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
And you know this how?
The "loophole" is not specifically a "gun show loophole," it's merely that at this point private individuals for whom gun sales are not a business are not required to run background checks to sell a privately owned gun.

Calling this a "gun show loophole" is political rhetoric using public ignorance of the facts to rouse irrational action.

I, personally, would not have a problem with a law that required individuals to sell through licensed gun dealers. I've only sold one gun directly to another individual--and that individual was a police officer.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You know darned well what it is, if not look for my posts in this thread where I explained it.
Then you don't know what you are talking about when you explained it.
Tell me again how guns at the gun show are being sold through a loop hole.
The point is anyone can sell a gun and avoid doing it lawfully. It can be at any location, home, meet up spot, parking lot at the gun show or any other parking lot. You act as if the gun show was designed to circumvent the law. It was not. People will find a way to buy them if they want. I had a neighbor that was buying guns from private individuals multiple times a month and not going through any checks.
It's not a loophole specific to gun shows, so stop calling it that.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The "loophole" is not specifically a "gun show loophole," it's merely that at this point private individuals for whom gun sales are not a business are not required to run background checks to sell a privately owned gun.

Calling this a "gun show loophole" is political rhetoric using public ignorance of the facts to rouse irrational action.

I, personally, would not have a problem with a law that required individuals to sell through licensed gun dealers. I've only sold one gun directly to another individual--and that individual was a police officer.
I agree . I'm not sure if it's just ignoarance of those that keep bringing it up who think they know as we have seen .
In California even private individuals have to sell through an ffl. If you want to buy a gun from me I have to take it to an ffl who will run a check on it and hold it until you clear. Of course there will be a nice little fee added.

It really folks, let's get off the gun control topic and discuss the event itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events