Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 10:12 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Yeah? But they want customers butts in their seats don't they? So they should just shut the hell up about it and move on.
There are many things harder than counting coins for a few minutes.
If I owned the restaurant, I wouldn't want him as a customer. Customers like that, cost the business money. He wasted their time having to count that mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 AM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If I owned the restaurant, I wouldn't want him as a customer. Customers like that, cost the business money. He wasted their time having to count that mess.
How did it cost them money to take 5 minutes to count $30 of change?

I've been in some sort of customer service/dealing with the public for 40 years. I guarantee if you owned a restaurant there'd be a lot more PITA customers than this kid. If you're that picky who you serve, you wouldn't be in business long.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:55 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Many businesses would actually welcome a lot of quarters, because they use a lot of them to make change. Now if the guy showed up with a ton of pennies and nickels it would be another story.
Look at the picture. Its mostly dimes and nickels.

The combination of dumping the change all over the table and then misrepresenting it as quarters in his fundraising efforts has me liking the kid less and less. Although I would never have taken it social media like the owner, I'd discourage him from coming back.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-25-2018 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How did it cost them money to take 5 minutes to count $30 of change?

I've been in some sort of customer service/dealing with the public for 40 years. I guarantee if you owned a restaurant there'd be a lot more PITA customers than this kid. If you're that picky who you serve, you wouldn't be in business long.
Not exactly true. My mother had a restaurant for years, and one of her firm rules was that if you treated the staff badly, you didn't get to come back. I'm pretty sure she would have considered dumping a bunch of change on the table an insulting thing to do to the server and discouraged the young man from coming back. She kicked a few people out in her day (so did I when I managed it during her first bout with cancer). She died rich, so whatever.

The five minutes or so it takes to count the change -- that's five minutes another customer is sitting there waiting to put in their order, five minutes another customer is waiting to pay their bill, five minutes another customer is waiting for their drinks, five minutes another customer's food may be waiting in the window getting cold -- and all of those things can affect the restaurant's bottom line as well as the server's tips.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-25-2018 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 11:16 AM

78,419 posts, read 60,613,724 times
$25 in quarters plus a $20 is not that much to count.

Clearly the restaurant used poor judgment and nobody is going to honestly believe that "they were joking" about the incident.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not exactly true. My mother had a restaurant for years, and one of her firm rules that if you treated the staff badly, you don't get to come back. I'm pretty sure she would have considered dumping a bunch of change on the table an insulting thing to do to the server and discouraged the young man from coming back. She kicked a lot of people out in her day. She died rich, so whatever.

The five minutes or so it takes to count the change -- that's five minutes another customer is sitting there waiting to put in their order, five minutes another customer is waiting to pay their bill, five minutes another customer is waiting for their drinks, five minutes another customer's food may be waiting in the window getting cold.
So did your mom tell all the customers who didn’t tip never to come back? Again I think the $10 tip makes it iffy that he actually treated the staff badly. I’d think the cashier could count it.

Again is it annoying that he paid n change? yes. Is it such a big deal to tell a customer who was otherwise a decent customer never to come back? I hardly think so. There are plenty of customers who will cost the restaurant more time and money than that by sending food back, demanding the servers constant attention, etc. in the scheme of things and having worked in similar settings, I don’t think this guy is even in the top 25% of difficult customers.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
So did your mom tell all the customers who didn’t tip never to come back? Again I think the $10 tip makes it iffy that he actually treated the staff badly. I’d think the cashier could count it.

Again is it annoying that he paid n change? yes. Is it such a big deal to tell a customer who was otherwise a decent customer never to come back? I hardly think so. There are plenty of customers who will cost the restaurant more time and money than that by sending food back, demanding the servers constant attention, etc. in the scheme of things and having worked in similar settings, I don’t think this guy is even in the top 25% of difficult customers.
She told several people not to come back over the years (but it wasn't really the kind of place that attracted "all the customers who don't tip", as you put it). Her business, her rules, and I highly doubt any of the backseat drivers on City-Data could have done as well... There was one guy who threw a couple of dollar bills at a young server for a bill of over $100 and said "buy yourself a Cadillac" who stands out in particular. Like I said, her rule was that no one treated her staff badly. Too many business owners expect the staff to eat **** on their behalf, and for some reason, many of the general public believe that behavior that wouldn't fly in any other business is perfectly okay in restaurants.

Paying with change and dumping the change all over the table are two different things. Decent customers don't leave change strewn across the table. Doing so is an insult to the server. Sorry that's so hard for you to understand.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-25-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
$25 in quarters plus a $20 is not that much to count.

Clearly the restaurant used poor judgment and nobody is going to honestly believe that "they were joking" about the incident.
It wasn't quarters. The kid is lying about that part, probably because he knows the public wouldn't be so sympathetic and send him money if they knew the truth.

I agree with the last part. The restaurant should have kept it off social media. I'd be behind them 100 percent, though, if they paid Country Cookin' a visit on Cohen's shift and returned the favor with nickels and dimes.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
It doesn't seem that this particular restaurant has a designated cashier. And I disagree that simply leaving a tip buys the customer carte blanche to engage in boorish and insulting behavior.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It doesn't seem that this particular restaurant has a designated cashier. And I disagree that simply leaving a tip buys the customer carte blanche to engage in boorish and insulting behavior.
He was in the restaurant for an hour or 2. Was he polite to the server during that time? Did he send back food or complain? Did he get catsup all over the seat? IMO the whole picture is important. One act of not piling his change neatly IMO does not speak to how he was overall as a customer. Again I would rather have him than someone who complains things are too cold, not the way I ordered it, not rare enough, you’re taking too long, etc any day. I see people who act like that a lot nowadays and no one tells them not to come back, but this is crossing the line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events