Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 11:24 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,243 times

Advertisements

I clean out a lot of the trash...that is spam e-mails quite regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 12:34 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,189 times
Savannah has the most litter of any city I've seen!! By a lot. It's really disgraceful. This lady rocks. A lot of "natives" here really like to crap where they eat and of all places, with all our squares, it's just sad. We have to pay a small army of people everyone morning to clean up fast food wrappers and I know not all of it is tourists.

This is why we can't have nice things. This is why the city may need to incentivize businesses to get rid of plastic wrapping or somehow enforce littering. latter is probably not possible so creative ways to tackle it may be needed.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:53 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
No it doesn't. What is posted is true whether you agree or not. It doesn't mean it's the best case scenario but it certainly is true.
Dunce #2.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:27 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
"anyone of youse, touch any of my stuff...I'll kill ya"

--- Francis Soyer
Let's just say that family member has not met his equal in public. Thank goodness.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:47 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
Proof of how lazy people are is evident in rest rooms that have a paper towel dispenser.

Right below the dispenser is a waste basket, yet there always are used paper towels on the floor.
I have noticed this, too. While there may be inconsiderate slobs doing it, there is also the possibility that the wastebasket was at or near overflowing and some paper towels would not stay on top of all the other used towels. Who wants to have to push their used paper towel down with their hand, deep into a wastebasket, to keep it from overflowing?

I think it would be useful for public washrooms to have available some sort of a wooden or plastic stick plunger so that people could push papers down into a full wastebasket without having their own hands or arms touch others' discarded paper towels.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 07-25-2018 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: repeated word "the"

Old 07-27-2018, 11:15 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Every Walmart and most supermarkets sell ashtrays that fit snugly in the common vehicle cupholder. There are over 100 styles/colors available on Amazon.

There is no excuse for throwing a cigarette butt out the car window unless you just have zero respect or manners.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:39 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Does not make any significant difference and she put herself at risk.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:43 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
People who smoke are poisoning themselves, so it's not reasonable to think that they would care about birds, fish and other people they are also poisoning. Although they say that smoking has diminished considerably in America, as time goes by, I find more butts on the street, than ever.

There's a guy who lives on our street, who parks his pickup out there, permanently. He tossed last year's Christmas tree in the bed and it's bone-dry and very flammable now. The first time someone tosses a lighted cigarette out a car window and it lands in that truck, the tree and then the whole truck will go up in flames. His girlfriend's car, parked bumper-to-bumper in front of it, will also burn. He doesn't listen to advice.
Smoking has gone down. As for who's throwing butts, I think it's the teens to 30 somethings.

I see it on my street, people who know our trash guys only take trash that's in the big bin, yet they continue to pile bags on the street. I have one that continues to not put Styrofoam in his bin so it ends up on my property. Bags you can tell also have recycling in them. It boggles my mind that there are people these days so lazy that they can't recycle. I recycle anything that's paper even cigarette packs after taking the cellophane and inside wrapper out. I also compost. We're a family of 5 that has one bag of trash a week that's not always full when trash day comes.

As for the truck with dead tree, there should be a township ordinance they can get him under. I would call. Our township is really good about addressing things like this. We have a few neighbors that regularly send emails to the gal, they will then post about whatever in our FB group so that other neighbors can also complain via email. We had a busted side walk (from a pool install) that the neighbor ignored for a year.
It's fixed now after a few people backed the main complaint neighbor up. My email pulls a little more weight as I run the group and can speak for a large amount of residents. She'd rather hear from me about our posts then deal with a hundred pissed off neighbors lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Savannah has the most litter of any city I've seen!! By a lot. It's really disgraceful. This lady rocks. A lot of "natives" here really like to crap where they eat and of all places, with all our squares, it's just sad. We have to pay a small army of people everyone morning to clean up fast food wrappers and I know not all of it is tourists.

This is why we can't have nice things. This is why the city may need to incentivize businesses to get rid of plastic wrapping or somehow enforce littering. latter is probably not possible so creative ways to tackle it may be needed.
In this day and age I'm shocked that most containers or food wrappers are not recyclable or biodegradable. Even plastics. Why are plastics still made that can't be recycled? I was watching extinct or alive last night, in one Asian jungle there was plastic trash littering a beach where no one goes. The worlds plastics and trash ends up there

Old 08-01-2018, 09:49 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, I don’t think cars have ashtrays anymore, but I’m less worried about a cigarette butt than other things.
You can just buy one though even if a car doesn't come with it. Often they're optional as part of a "smokers package." My old Mazda3 had a coin tray where the ashtray went unless you got the smokers package. Being in California I'm more worried about cigarette butts than other things for the obvious fire reasons. They're also nastier than most pieces of trash from a non fire perspective.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:22 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You can just buy one though even if a car doesn't come with it. Often they're optional as part of a "smokers package." My old Mazda3 had a coin tray where the ashtray went unless you got the smokers package. Being in California I'm more worried about cigarette butts than other things for the obvious fire reasons. They're also nastier than most pieces of trash from a non fire perspective.
Not as nasty as the bundles of used diapers scattered throughout the parking lots and structures all over Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events