Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I disagree, it's embarrassing... None of the LEO's I know would be in such an embarrassing video...

Well, a San Diego department made one, Corinth, MS made one, a dept in Michigan made one...so...you never know...your dept. might be next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 12:59 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
I didn't know about these until my daughter showed me one and told me the story. This is what I THINK I remember, I claim no proof to what I am relaying......

San Antonio, Texas made one for some reason or another. This led to another department making one, to "up" the SA dept. Other departments decided to join the "competition" (I don't think they are being judged or graded), and it has caught on across the country. I know Dallas has done one, McKinney has done one, and there are others.

I researched them for this commentary and found out there is or was a show among celebrities that started this craze.

They can be found on Youtube or other social media. I "googled" "police department lip sync battle" and hit the "Motherlode".

Here is my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzV3SKPsZSU (Norfork PD w/FD members, done to Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars). The lead cop is soooooooooo cute, the guy on the left looks like a young Patrick Swayze, and the whole video is fun and well made.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:22 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,736,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
They think it's the P.C. thing to do.

Maybe if the music/video were better it might have might work but they both suck.

More of an embarrassment than anything else.
Not really. It's part of a nationwide / Canada effort to make the police more approachable. It also highlights the diversity of the force, helps the public better relate to the officers as people, and so on. Similar to community policing efforts. Although I can't see a single negative, I've seen a lot of comments to the contrary but they seem to be mostly by groups that believe the police should appear and act like an occupying power rather than a group of people that work for, and are paid by, the communities they support.

If you think your police would never do this, think again. Departments from much everywhere in North America are in on it.

Keep up the good work people in blue!

Old 07-26-2018, 01:26 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Its a team building activity which probably takes no more then an hour or two away from their down time.

Its a video of them lip syncing, not a major motion movie.
There is absolutely no way that took only an hour or two with the number of people involved, the number of locations used, rehearsal time, equipment utilized, closing of locations to the public, etc. Then you must consider the cost of the actual filming, editing and sound production. If this was all done "in house" with available personnel, they simply have too much personnel without enough police work to do.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There is absolutely no way that took only an hour or two with the number of people involved, the number of locations used, rehearsal time, equipment utilized, closing of locations to the public, etc. Then you must consider the cost of the actual filming, editing and sound production. If this was all done "in house" with available personnel, they simply have too much personnel without enough police work to do.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you heard of "off the clock"? Don't want to ruin your agenda but get real.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:39 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
I agree. I wouldn't permit my employees to do this nonsense while on the clock. They're there to work, not play. Why would I agree that our police force should do the same? Taxpayers don't pay them to make videos and fools of themselves.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you heard of "off the clock"? Don't want to ruin your agenda but get real.
That publicly owned equipment is never off the clock. Insurance is never off the clock. Even if every "actor" was off the clock, which I doubt, what about those who were charged with closing down the streets and maintaining that equipment? What about the people who did all the actual filming? What about all the production equipment?

Keep rolling your eyes, if it helps keep you from looking at reality.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:47 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,716 times
Quote:
That publicly owned equipment is never off the clock. Insurance is never off the clock. Even if every "actor" was off the clock, which I doubt, what about those who were charged with closing down the streets and maintaining that equipment? What about the people who did all the actual filming? What about all the production equipment?

See my previous post.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
See my previous post.
Your post is your opinion, not fact. If you have facts to prove your point I'd be more than pleased to review them.

I don't want my tax dollars spent on such foolishness. If the Seattle PD has such a talented video department perhaps they should be directing their energies to producing videos for distribution that would help solve some open cases.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:

Here's an interview with the Norfolk PD that Lodestar posted. They did it in 30 minutes on their lunch break with an iphone and boombox.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2UWFCjhhL0w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events