Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 08:14 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times

Advertisements

The problem is that the prosecutor is treating him like a normal person who just committed an assault. What should have happened is the day this happened he should have been involuntarily committed so that doctors can determine whether he's fit to be in society. The sole legal basis for involuntary committement is whether the person is a danger to himself or others. There obviously is no doubt about whether he meets the criteria.

“He understood that doing that was going to cause harm to the individual, he knew that by throwing him over he knew the individual was going to be hurt, he shouldn’t have done it, and he admitted to picking this kid up and pushing him over,” Francis says.

This isn't a toddler in a man's body, there is something evil about this person and he shouldn't be around others, period. There were only 2 reasonable options of dealing with this person in my opinion - determine he isn't mentally capable of understanding what he did could have caused the death of this poor kid and lock him up in an institution, or charge him with attempted murder after such determination. He should have been locked up that day to figure out which option should be taken.

Last edited by duke944; 08-10-2018 at 08:29 AM..

Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I don't gaf about why he's dangerous, he needs to be kept out of society because he's very dangerous. What don't you understand about that?
I stated many times he needs to be in a locked facility, but jail is not where he belongs.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I stated many times he needs to be in a locked facility, but jail is not where he belongs.
This isn't for someone reading a news story to decide, it should be decided by a professional. Why he isn't being detained for evaluation is a mystery, the system has really failed on this one.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:51 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,368 times
Call it what you will but I'll call him a nut job

Old 08-10-2018, 09:21 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Teen accused of throwing boy off top of Twin Cities waterslide had previously bit lifeguard | Duluth News Tribune

What we have is a dearth of facts. Here is another article, but I could not find a later one. So, there are a few more details.

The “developmental issues” was not a diagnosis, but an observation by the police. So, we don’t know very much about this 18 year okd, except that he bit a lifeguard previously. In hindsight, he should have been banned fron the pool then, but was not.

We really don’t know very much about this, and it is fruitless to speculate.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:33 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
One of my best friends does it for a school, I'll have to ask her if she knows what the usual pay is.
In my state, I can guarantee you, since I work in the field, that it (hourly pay for direct care staff who work with individuals on the DD waiver) is between 9 and 10 dollars an hour.

Quote:
I don't gaf about why he's dangerous,
Well, fortunately, the law doesn't operate based on what f's you give or don't give.

Quote:
What do you mean, your sure he will be taken to a locked facility? he's out on bond for probably months before trial because the prosecutors aren't taking this threat seriously. He should be locked up now.
He has the same rights as anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I think the point hellob is making is that we don't grant toddlers the "right" to run out into the street and be hit by a car or to stab another person with a pair of scissors. A daycare worker who grabs a small child to prevent such an occurrence won't be fired or imprisoned. Why should those taking care of severely developmentally disabled people be punished for doing what is necessary to actually keep everyone (including their clients) safe? That's what the rules in too many places do now.

Do we truly want to give the severely mentally disabled who lack a full understanding of how their actions affect others the "right" to be imprisoned alongside hardened felons (who may well abuse them and rape them), or the "right" to be shot to death by the police or a citizen with a CCW? Pretending they should be treated the same way as fully mentally competent adults just because their bodies have reached a certain chronological age does the developmentally disabled persons no favors.
I've worked in the field in 3 states and none of them had any laws stating you had to watch someone run into the street without doing anything.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:36 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,843,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Heck, I'm an adult and I don't want him near me either.
But there are some adults he likely could not pick up and throw. Most kids are small enough that he could do that to them. Not sure if he has other violent tendencies.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:37 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
The problem is that the prosecutor is treating him like a normal person who just committed an assault. What should have happened is the day this happened he should have been involuntarily committed so that doctors can determine whether he's fit to be in society. The sole legal basis for involuntary committement is whether the person is a danger to himself or others. There obviously is no doubt about whether he meets the criteria.

“He understood that doing that was going to cause harm to the individual, he knew that by throwing him over he knew the individual was going to be hurt, he shouldn’t have done it, and he admitted to picking this kid up and pushing him over,” Francis says.

This isn't a toddler in a man's body, there is something evil about this person and he shouldn't be around others, period. There were only 2 reasonable options of dealing with this person in my opinion - determine he isn't mentally capable of understanding what he did could have caused the death of this poor kid and lock him up in an institution, or charge him with attempted murder after such determination. He should have been locked up that day to figure out which option should be taken.
He is not evil, and depending on IQ May very well be cognitively equivalent to a toddler. Again aggression is not uncommon in low functioning people with developmental disabilities.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:44 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
He should have been humanely put out of his misery years ago, it sounds like. I doubt he realized the effect of his actions. But as a society, we can’t have dangerous mammals running around. It hurts everyone.

My hopes are for the healing of all involved.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
In my state, I can guarantee you, since I work in the field, that it (hourly pay for direct care staff who work with individuals on the DD waiver) is between 9 and 10 dollars an hour.

Well, fortunately, the law doesn't operate based on what f's you give or don't give.

He has the same rights as anyone else.

I've worked in the field in 3 states and none of them had any laws stating you had to watch someone run into the street without doing anything.
When you pick up an 8 year old and toss him from 30 feet high, you just gave up the same rights that law abiding citizens have. But in this case, unfortunately that's not how you or this MORONIC prosecutor sees it.
If you want to know what I really think should happen to this 18 year old, he should be put down like a dog. But I'm being restrained by saying at the minimum he needs to be locked up asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events