Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:36 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times

Advertisements

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timoth...meals-n2511170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
The California legislature recently passed a bill banning restaurants from selling soda and juice with kids' meals and instead requires them to offer a cup of milk or water in an effort to fight childhood obesity. But, the purchaser of the meal may still buy an extra soda or juice and hand the drink to the child, thus negating whatever intended effects the bill hopes to accomplish.
Sounds like a push just to make more money for the restaurants to me?

I'm embarrassed to live here sometimes. Do they really think banning serving it with meals will stop kids from drinking it? It just makes it more difficult to order. Not to mention the meals are usually in no way healthy either, but they pick to choose to ban the soda and not the giant cheeseburger or french FRIES, you know the ones deep fried in grease.

And people wonder why California and their laws are the laughing stock of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timoth...meals-n2511170

Sounds like a push just to make more money for the restaurants to me?

I'm embarrassed to live here sometimes. Do they really think banning serving it with meals will stop kids from drinking it? It just makes it more difficult to order. Not to mention the meals are usually in no way healthy either, but they pick to choose to ban the soda and not the giant cheeseburger or french FRIES, you know the ones deep fried in grease.

And people wonder why California and their laws are the laughing stock of the world.
Another nanny Bloomberg State. It’s a ridiculous law and they are telling parents that big government knows what’s better for their kids than they do. Glad I don’t live in Cali anymore.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Why dont they just target the soda industry and access to soda?

When opioid prescription drugs started becoming a problem, they went after the manufacturer and suppliers FIRST, they restricted access to a point where it was nearly impossible for anyone to legally obtain them, point is, there was no concern for how the company or industry would deal with the loss of revenue from these drugs, why would it be any different for the soda companies?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:30 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Having a coke every once in a while never hurt anyone.

Ridiculous.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:41 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
You would think that after so many attempts at behavior control with legislation have failed, that lawmakers would get the message that it doesn't work, and/or has unintended consequences. But I suppose they can take credit for doing something to justify there paycheck, whether it works or not. Your tax dollars at work, folks.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:46 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
You can't make laws to force social behavior, this is very un-American

Old 08-21-2018, 12:46 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Having a coke every once in a while never hurt anyone.

Ridiculous.
Just think it all started life as a medicine..now a source of concern for teeth and health..

Old 08-21-2018, 01:28 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Control what the kids eat...I'd prefer to have the government spend that social control money going after the people to sex traffic children and molest children, or even parents who starve and beat children. Seems to me like that would do more good for the kids then denying them a soda when they eat out.

Of course, in California, you can't have a plastic straw with that soda and it's hard for a young child to drink out of a glass filled with small ice cubes if they aren't allowed to use a straw. Maybe the ban on straws will reduce soda drinking.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:37 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
When I order an "meal" I ask for coffee instead of the soda drink.
As a fiscal conservative and fairly moderate social conservative, this action of separating the drink from the meal is reasonable.
In the long future, I really don't want to pay for obese people's medical care either thru increased insurance, medicare premiums, or welfare.

I have an acquaintance who was an armed forces recruiter. The number #1 reason for not accepting an applicant is BMI to the high side. The obesity issue is also a national security issue.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:38 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Soda has no nutrition AT ALL, and causes a plethora of health problems. I think this is a little silly and probably won't stop stupid people from still plying their unfortunate children with soda, but I understand and approve of the reasoning behind it. The execution does leave something to be desired unfortunately.

As for straws - they didn't even HAVE plastic straws when I was a kid. We don't need them. You can go back to waxed paper straws or start carrying around your own reusable metal straws. That's not going to kill anybody either, unlike plastic straws which injure and kill hundreds of thousands of animals every year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_..._garbage_patch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events