Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 01:26 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ohhh, that's awful! It's ironic, I was sitting outside watching one of my cats sitting by a bush near the water a couple of weeks ago, and thinking "If we were in Florida she'd have been snatched by an alligator by now".
i lived in a (very nice) neighborhood in the Pacific Northwest, all new construction, wooded lots, expensive homes, beautiful trees, young families with kids and pets. And every single cat got taken by coyotes. all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 01:50 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
[quote=ocnjgirl;52863768]https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1L51UH

Another example of why I'm terrified of alligators....and no longer live in coastal SC.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:51 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i lived in a (very nice) neighborhood in the Pacific Northwest, all new construction, wooded lots, expensive homes, beautiful trees, young families with kids and pets. And every single cat got taken by coyotes. all of them.
Ohhh that’s awful! I remember when a singer, I believe it was Jessica Simpson, had her little dog snatched by one. I heard the coyote populations are on the rise. At least up here, fox populations are also growing.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:53 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Ohhh that’s awful! I remember when a singer, I believe it was Jessica Simpson, had her little dog snatched by one. I heard the coyote populations are on the rise. At least up here, fox populations are also growing.

oh yes in jersey they have fox population ? or coyote ? or both im sorry don't know much about nj . and yes the point being keep your eye on your pets period .

Old 08-21-2018, 01:55 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
It seems like there is a fair amount of alligator attacks on pets in Florida. Kinda scary.
This happened at Hilton Head, SC, not Florida.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:00 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh yes in jersey they have fox population ? or coyote ? or both im sorry don't know much about nj . and yes the point being keep your eye on your pets period .
Yes, both. Although I’ve never seen a coyote myself, but there are a lot of forests and rural areas in NJ. Foxes have become so prevalent at the Jersey shore that they have to put up signs warning people not to feed them.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:04 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes, New Jersey has always had red fox. I remember seeing a mama fox and her kits in the woods behind my house when I was a kid. I saw one in the woods at the end of my street one evening last year, and I have seen others several times from my train.

I believe we have had more incidents with coyotes, too, but the red foxes have always been around. The coyotes not so much.

I don't understand why people let their cats out to roam around. They will either be killed by wild animals or hit by cars, or in the case of one of my sister's cats, killed by the neighbor's dogs.

Keep cats inside!

Old 08-21-2018, 02:09 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Did these people not keep their cats indoors or did the coyotes break in?

RIP to this poor woman who tried to save her dog.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:19 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
All of them...that were allowed to wander around outdoors.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:36 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,295 times
Quote:
We have (urban) coyotes around here and I've lived in Florida with the alligators. I knew a couple people that had their dogs snatched by the gators in the canals - in both cases, they were Rack Russells. The coyotes follow us around but I don't worry about them. When I'm walking my dogs, the last thing I'm worried about attacking my dogs is wild animals; very few dogs are harmed by wild animals but tens of thousands are killed and maimed by a *so-called* domesticated animal kept as pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events