Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 02:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i lived in a (very nice) neighborhood in the Pacific Northwest, all new construction, wooded lots, expensive homes, beautiful trees, young families with kids and pets. And every single cat got taken by coyotes. all of them.
Only morons keep their cats outside ESPECIALLY when you know predators have been killing them. I know all of these cats didn't disappear in a single night.

As far as the gator goes, someone was feeding that gator. As a rule, like all wild animals, they are inherently afraid of humans. Also, all a gator needs to do to eat is swim around with their mouths open. It's a lot easier to eat fish than to have to chase down some kind of wildlife.

The gator associated humans with food.

My husband and I sometimes stop at the boat launches in the Everglades and the gators will come swimming up when they see us (we are behind a fence and the gators can't get out of the water). It is obvious people feed them.

I wish people would think before they feed the alligators. The are contributing to a human or pet death and the death of that animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 03:10 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Did these people not keep their cats indoors or did the coyotes break in?

RIP to this poor woman who tried to save her dog.
the coyotes did not break in. they did however come onto the homeowners property. I remember driving in the suburbs to the elementary school in the morning, and see coyote walking along the sidewalk. often. paved road, curbs, the whole nine yards. and coyote walking down the sidewalk.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:12 PM

50,724 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, New Jersey has always had red fox. I remember seeing a mama fox and her kits in the woods behind my house when I was a kid. I saw one in the woods at the end of my street one evening last year, and I have seen others several times from my train.

I believe we have had more incidents with coyotes, too, but the red foxes have always been around. The coyotes not so much.

I don't understand why people let their cats out to roam around. They will either be killed by wild animals or hit by cars, or in the case of one of my sister's cats, killed by the neighbor's dogs.

Keep cats inside!
I wish I could, but by the time I met them (I'm step-mommy, lol) they were already used to going out. My little girl stays in the yard since we moved, but the Tomcat is mayor of the neighborhood, he knows more people than we do. Thankfully it's a very quiet road, but I do worry. We actually almost lost him a few weeks ago, started searching after he didn't come home one night, and found him in our van, soaked with sweat. He must have jumped in there when my honey was carrying things in and left the door open. We covered him with wet towels and he is fine now, but thank God we found him when we did.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
should have kicked the alligator right in the scales

Old 08-21-2018, 03:20 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Only morons keep their cats outside ESPECIALLY when you know predators have been killing them. I know all of these cats didn't disappear in a single night.

As far as the gator goes, someone was feeding that gator. As a rule, like all wild animals, they are inherently afraid of humans. Also, all a gator needs to do to eat is swim around with their mouths open. It's a lot easier to eat fish than to have to chase down some kind of wildlife.

The gator associated humans with food.

My husband and I sometimes stop at the boat launches in the Everglades and the gators will come swimming up when they see us (we are behind a fence and the gators can't get out of the water). It is obvious people feed them.

I wish people would think before they feed the alligators. The are contributing to a human or pet death and the death of that animal.
true the cats did not disappear in a single night, but no cat lasted more than i think 2 months was the longest. they were not feral cats, they were family pets. they were cats that spent time both indoors and outdoors.

i had an office mate (different state, this was in the southwest) who had a tiny dog one of those small yappy ones and she was out walking her dog on a leash and a large hawk was first hovering, and then began swooping down towards her dog and she absolutely freaked. she was very traumatized.

i like animals in the wild. i have never quite understood how it doesn't bother pet owners to have their cat kill birds, or their dog kill baby bunnies, but they get upset when their cat or dog is killed by a hawk or coyote, or in this case alligator. no matter how domesticated, animals are wild and kill. i prefer to enjoy animals in the wild and it has never felt right to have a pet, but that's just me.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:30 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
This happened at the Sea Pines Plantation, Hilton Head. My daughter is a manager at one of the resorts on the island and one of her co-workers lives where the woman was killed, she was crying all day yesterday.

What happened was that the woman and her dog (border collie) were walking too close to the lagoon and the alligator tried to grab the dog but got the leash. The woman held onto the leash to save her dog and both she and the dog were pulled in the water. The alligator drowned the woman but the dog got away and out of the water.

Several neighbors saw it all but it happened so fast. All they could do was call 911.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:37 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1L51UH

Crazy! I'm surprised the alligator grabbed the woman instead of the dog.
Even an alligator knows to leave dessert until after the main course...

Old 08-21-2018, 03:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wish I could, but by the time I met them (I'm step-mommy, lol) they were already used to going out. My little girl stays in the yard since we moved, but the Tomcat is mayor of the neighborhood, he knows more people than we do. Thankfully it's a very quiet road, but I do worry. We actually almost lost him a few weeks ago, started searching after he didn't come home one night, and found him in our van, soaked with sweat. He must have jumped in there when my honey was carrying things in and left the door open. We covered him with wet towels and he is fine now, but thank God we found him when we did.
Anyone that lets their cat roam is an irresponsible owner and doesn't give a damn about their cat. If the said cat is intact, I can't say the words on here for what the owners are. It is not a matter of "wish" I could; if you wanted to keep the cats indoors, the cats would be indoors. It doesn't matter what they are "already used to."

Old 08-21-2018, 03:54 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,492,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
This happened at the Sea Pines Plantation, Hilton Head. My daughter is a manager at one of the resorts on the island and one of her co-workers lives where the woman was killed, she was crying all day yesterday.

What happened was that the woman and her dog (border collie) were walking too close to the lagoon and the alligator tried to grab the dog but got the leash. The woman held onto the leash to save her dog and both she and the dog were pulled in the water. The alligator drowned the woman but the dog got away and out of the water.

Several neighbors saw it all but it happened so fast. All they could do was call 911.
Oh my gosh, that's horrible.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:02 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
That IS horrible, and it is hard to think clearly in that kind of situation, but it sounds like the dog may have escaped the gator even if the owner hadn't tried to intervene.

I absolutely love my pets, but when it comes down to it, my life is more important than theirs. We don't have wild alligators in California, but I recall that a year or two ago, a family with kids was playing on the shoreline on a big surf day. Suddenly, their small dog was carried off by a big wave and the father of the family plunged into the water to save it. He drowned, and the dog swam ashore just fine a little ways down the beach. Same idea. Let the pet go and don't risk your own life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events