Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 PM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Are you this woman? You seem to care a lot about the intricacies of this law. She was being a jerk. The guy in the wheelchair needed that space far more than she did and yet refused to move. But go on, keep defending her since you know everything about how deserving she is of that seat.
Can you not understand that how deserving she is, or is not, is not relevant? There was a sign on the window next to her seat that gave her permission to sit there. The sign is backed up and in compliance with federal law. If you don't like the law, then change it. But, bitching and whining about somebody exercising their rights under the law is just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 10:19 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Can you not understand that how deserving she is, or is not, is not relevant? There was a sign on the window next to her seat that gave her permission to sit there. The sign is backed up and in compliance with federal law. If you don't like the law, then change it. But, bitching and whining about somebody exercising their rights under the law is just silly.
And yet, the sign directly above the woman's head reads that that space is reserved for those with mobility devices with a wheelchair symbol, so there's that.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:51 PM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
And yet, the sign directly above the woman's head reads that that space is reserved for those with mobility devices with a wheelchair symbol, so there's that.
There is no wheelchair symbol there. There is a pictogram of a person sitting with a cane next to where she was seated, and the sign says: "RESERVED FOR SENIORS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES".

Old 08-27-2018, 11:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
I'm wondering how old she really is. If she's under 70, no way did she belong on that seat.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:57 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Perhaps the shopping cart played a role in her obstinance. What would she have done with the cart and its contents? If this is Los Angeles, the "rules" appear to be that those who qualify for the senior/disabled section are allowed to keep their carts unfolded with the contents in them. There's enough room for the unfolded cart in front of the handicapped seat but perhaps not between the regular seats?

She probably wouldn't have been allowed to block an aisle with it. Any instructions the bus driver may have provided weren't captured on the video. By the time it began, folks on the bus were already pretty upset and shouting at her to move.

Never underestimate the concern the elderly have for their possessions and getting them home intact.

Last edited by EveryLady; 08-28-2018 at 12:06 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 12:22 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,507,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'm wondering how old she really is. If she's under 70, no way did she belong on that seat.
But there's no way to know that. We don't know that she does or doesn't have a disability herself.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:44 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,630 times
Quote:
There is no wheelchair symbol there. There is a pictogram of a person sitting with a cane next to where she was seated, and the sign says: "RESERVED FOR SENIORS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES".

And to the left of that sign, right above her head was indeed a sign that said that space was reserved for mobility devices with a picture of a wheelchair.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:52 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
OK go by age. I work in skilled nursing rehab and we have plenty of people who are disabled in their 50s and 60s as well. There are 85-year-old in fantastic shape and 65-year-olds that can’t walk 10 feet.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:42 AM

23,876 posts, read 33,595,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OK go by age. I work in skilled nursing rehab and we have plenty of people who are disabled in their 50s and 60s as well. There are 85-year-old in fantastic shape and 65-year-olds that can’t walk 10 feet.
I'm 53, disabled from a failed lumbar fusion with rods and screws. I walk with a cane. Been legally disabled since my late 30's. I would have given up my seat to the man in the wheel chair as I still consider myself able bodied since I don't need a chair yet.

The wheel chair accessible seats should be for wheel chair bound only unless the bus isn't full. If someone is sitting there when someone with a chair needs to ride then whoever is there should have to move, period.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:01 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,574,462 times
Quote:
The seat she was sitting on needed to fold up to make room for the wheelchair. She was sitting in a seat designated for Seniors and Persons With Disabilities. She is clearly a senior. She is an obnoxious *****, but she was within her legal right not to give up her seat. That is why the bus driver and his supervisor allowed her to remain seated and asked the man in a wheelchair to wait for the next bus.
Did you listen to the obnoxious passenger uproar? Could be a contributing factor as to why she stood her ground.

Whom ever left an anon rep that mental disability isn't an excuse; I feel sorry for you. That could be you or a loved one. No ones exempt from disabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events