Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 10:19 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Seriously? She's said that she's been in that situation with a back problem. Taking the bus because she can't drive. Keep up or zip.
No. I asked about the woman's age. Period. That was my question.

If you want to talk about disabilities or back problems, talk to someone else about it. I have zero interest in any poster's medical issues. Not sure why that's being thrown at me. I simply asked about the age of the woman who wouldn't give up her seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 11:22 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Surely if there is a law about 'elderly riders' the law specifies what that is? How would it even be possible to try to enforce such a nebulous concept as 'elderly'?

Old 08-29-2018, 12:12 AM

13,276 posts, read 7,326,738 times
Governments can't figure out why people rather just drive in their own car to work. My company give me a free bus card I can ride metro train or bus for free. I tried it a few time end up with some drunk homeless guy pooped his pants next to me for 45 minute ride in traffic packed bus in 110F heat. I asked the bus driver to pull over get rid of this guy he said he can't do anything because it was city bus. Rather spent 1000's of dollars on my own car then do that again.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:27 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I can't agree with that. What about a person with spine problems or diabetic neuropathy who might be in pain having to stand? Before my laminectomy, I might have appeared able bodied and fine, but the reason I was taking a bus is I was in too much pain to drive to the doctor. No one knows anyone's story and can't go by appearances. You can't start putting people into rankings of disability. I don't know anything about this woman, if she was able bodied she should have stood but in general I would never say wheelchair automatically means another disabled person has to stand.
That's how my back issues started. Herniation, laminectomy that failed, conservative fusion with LT cage that failed, rods and screws. Some have luck with the laminectomy but it failed for me.

The lady didn't have to stand. She didn't want to give up her front row seat. I highly doubt she was disabled and I think think she's more then early 60's which isn't even social security age. I wonder if she's a legal immigrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

If you want to talk about disabilities or back problems, talk to someone else about it. I have zero interest in any poster's medical issues. Not sure why that's being thrown at me. I simply asked about the age of the woman who wouldn't give up her seat.
You sure did ask about her age. She didn't look that old to me.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:45 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL..oh the irony. You talk about a "me first" world, well this old woman is a perfect example of that.

Just because someone is old doesn't mean they're a good person and need respect.

Nobody got physical with her, again you don't get a pass for bad behavior just because you're over 65.

She could have easily moved, the young guy behind her says to her "take my seat".

The old girl was getting around without a cane or a walker, she should have moved.

Thank you!

Old 08-29-2018, 05:38 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The uproar didn't start until after she was asked to move in SPANISH, and a young man behind her offered her his seat. And she speaks English, she answered "I don't care" at one point.

You're right, no one is exempt from disabilities and the woman should have thought have that, anyone half way decent would have thought "that could be me some day in that wheelchair", and moved, all she had to do was move a few feet.

I am glad people got vocal with her, tired of the sheep who do absolutely nothing when they witness a wrong doing.
I'm looking at it through her eyes; she doesnt see it as wrong doing.

An uproar isnt necessary to change her stand; if change was even possible.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Article here has a better photo describing her only as 'older woman'.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.daily...heelchair.html

Old 08-29-2018, 07:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
You are in the wrong. Disabled/elderly people are supposed to sit in those seats. If disabled/elderly people are ALREADY in those seats then the person who wants to get on has to wait for the next bus, JUST AS ANYONE ELSE has to wait if the bus is full.

I HAVE used public buses since I became disabled. This is much ado about nothing, except that the bus driver should never have made an issue of it if the woman didn't move. I am unstable on my feet. Telling someone who is unsteady to walk to the back of the bus and find another seat is unsafe for that person. I have been literally knocked off my feet in a bus that started moving before I could even get to the handicap seats that are RIGHT IN FRONT. You don't have to be in a wheelchair to be endangered by trying to navigate the narrow aisles of a bus.

If you paid any attention to the video you would have known that no one asked her to move to the back of the bus and, in fact, someone right there up front offered their seat to her if she would move into it. If she was unable to move that far, with that many people some of whom would no doubt have helped her) and a bus driver who would have been occupied getting the man in the wheel chair strapped in and not starting up, or even able to do so, before she was seated, she doesn't need to be on the bus dragging a shopping cart with her.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

she doesn't need to be on the bus dragging a shopping cart with her.
Those shopping carts have multiple uses for some seniors and disabled. They feel steady and more secure, as well as holding their shopping. We don't get to decide. Would you say the same if she were 'dragging' a walker?

Old 08-29-2018, 07:41 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Those shopping carts have multiple uses for some seniors and disabled. They feel steady and more secure, as well as holding their shopping. We don't get to decide. Would you say the same if she were 'dragging' a walker?
The point is, if she can get around, wherever she's been around town, in and out of stores or whatever, up the steps of the bus......
somehow she cannot possibly move ONE ROW BACK to a seat that was being offered to her by a young man?!? She's sooooo elderly and disabled that a few more steps is absolutely not possible for her???

"Disability" is not her problem in this situation. The words that describe her actual problem are not allowed on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events