Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 04:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Do you have some proof of this? It is often repeated but it seems just as likely that the guy just says "crazy broad", snickers with his friends and after no time at all it is business as usual. How many times does he lose his job? Or what else is even possible to happen? Unless he is wrongfully convicted, which is highly unlikely, I doubt there are many consequences at all. I mean theoretically yes, but practically speaking I would love to see some study detailing how much it actually happens.

BTW, you don't have to prove your innocence and it is more difficult to prove guilt in these kinds of cases than many others.
Unless you're black.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/07/polit...udy/index.html

Quote:
Anderson is just one of hundreds of black men who have been convicted of and exonerated for crimes they didn't commit. A new report from the National Registry of Exonerations, a joint project between the University of California, Irvine; University of Michigan Law School and Michigan State University College of Law, shows that black people are more likely to be wrongfully convicted than white people and are also likely to spend longer in prison before being exonerated for their crimes.

And then there's the infamous Scottsboro case...times haven't changed all that much since then. Given the history of the situation, a false rape accusation against a black man by a white woman often has horrible consequences.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:48 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Yes, this^. When it comes to an accusation for a sexual crime, too often the accused is presumed guilty and their name is forever stained with that accusation.

I'm a woman, and I have zero respect for any woman who would make a false accusation of rape. That action can ruin someone's reputation, cause them to spend thousands in legal fees, cause the accused to lose their job, their relationships, and subject them to incredible stress trying to prove they are innocent.

1 year is far too light of a sentence, and especially with the eye rolling, it's plain to see she has no remorse for what she has done.

Quote:
Do you have some proof of this? It is often repeated but it seems just as likely that the guy just says "crazy broad", snickers with his friends and after no time at all it is business as usual. How many times does he lose his job? Or what else is even possible to happen? Unless he is wrongfully convicted, which is highly unlikely, I doubt there are many consequences at all. I mean theoretically yes, but practically speaking I would love to see some study detailing how much it actually happens.

BTW, you don't have to prove your innocence and it is more difficult to prove guilt in these kinds of cases than many others.

Here's an interesting perspective though from the UK:
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8077876.html
If you would reread the above post that you wrote about, your question would be answered. I'll give you a hint, she lists four other things that can happen.

The problem is that women judges take these claims of abuse, rape or whatever much more serious than male judges, resulting in high bail, or no bail, for a man who could very well have done nothing.

Last edited by james777; 08-28-2018 at 05:57 PM..

Old 08-28-2018, 06:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm not sure why you feel it needs to end right now. The injustice against women, like not having the same legal rights as men, has been going on since day 1 and the breach of justice only ended about 80 years ago. And only now since the #metoo movement have we seen how on a large scale it has been acceptable and par for the course for women in a professional setting to endure sexual misconduct. So you shouldn't be surprised that those views since time immortal that women are not only unequal but vulnerable, weak, childlike and unable to make decisions and be responsible for themselves would still be alive when it comes to crimes and sentencing. Why would one breach of justice move so slowly and another move quickly?
#metoo has very little effect to avg Joe dating another Jane. Because at the end of the day, it's about money and power. If avg Joe is sued by Jane, he's got nothing to offer and lawyers do not care about cases that involve avg Joe unless it's a rich guy.

Child support is still the leading way a woman goes after the avg Joe.

I know a few men who refuses to date US women and all they do is fly to Thailand every other month to meet their women. Sad how it has come to sextourism, Thailand will love all American men like Weinstein.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:18 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Yes, this^. When it comes to an accusation for a sexual crime, too often the accused is presumed guilty and their name is forever stained with that accusation.

I'm a woman, and I have zero respect for any woman who would make a false accusation of rape. That action can ruin someone's reputation, cause them to spend thousands in legal fees, cause the accused to lose their job, their relationships, and subject them to incredible stress trying to prove they are innocent.

1 year is far too light of a sentence, and especially with the eye rolling, it's plain to see she has no remorse for what she has done.

If you would reread the above post that you wrote about, your question would be answered. I'll give you a hint, she lists four other things that can happen.

The problem is that women judges take these claims of abuse, rape or whatever much more serious than male judges, resulting in high bail, or no bail, for a man who could very well have done nothing.
Overall, just over a third of judges are female...beyond that, do you have some research showing the female judges actually mete out higher bail or longer sentences?

I believe my article made the point that just because someone makes a false accusation, those certainly don't all make it to trial or even to the point of charges being filed. Many (of the small absolute numbers) of false accusations are never even made against a specific person but are very vague and general, precluding finding a suspect or filing charges. Many times it is a third party (like a parent) who makes a complaint on the behalf of a younger girl who may not even want to go forward because nothing nonconsensual happened.

It's easy to assume that every accusation automatically goes to trial and automatically results in a bad conviction - that is far from the case. There are false reports of MANY crimes, not just sexual assaults and I think I saw some stats that the percentage of false accusations of sexual assault are no higher than for other crimes.

False accusations are bad...for murder, arson, whatever. Our society still doesn't want to believe a man that they know could do such a thing -he is more often given the benefit of the doubt.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Falsely accused people are under a social stigma, too, and people thrown in prison can be raped. In fact, there is a very high risk of an accused rapist being raped in prison.
But a very low percentage of falsely accused men get convicted and end up in prison - you don't believe a woman just has to point her little finger and "poof" - there he goes?

Old 08-28-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It is not only sickening, but disturbing that anyone on this entire planet would have this mindset.

Hey! Let's roll with this! Don't you think a few moms being falsely accused of child abuse will make up for the centuries of moms being believed over children and getting off scot-free? You would be a monster to be up in arms seeking revenge against those moms who lied.

See how dumb that sounds?
Justice has always been a balance between the rights of victims and the rights of the accused - a balance that has changed over the years just as the rules of law and evidence have changed - these things aren't and have never been absolutes. Sometimes the pendulum swings too far and there is a correction - take the long view.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Interesting article.

https://theundefeated.com/features/b...e-lies-matter/

Quote:
Just as there is an ongoing debate about the threat of radical Islam on American freedom, there’s long been the perceived threat of black masculinity to white female safety. We currently live in the world of fake news and alternative facts, but white lies have tangible consequences, which is why it’s that much more concerning when white women — like Donham — feel comfortable blaming black men for gruesome crimes.
Any black mother will tell you that one of her worst fears for her son is him getting accused of raping a white woman. With the way the pendulum seems to be swinging back to the days when all it really did take was a little pointed (white) finger and a young man ends up with his eyes gouged out at the bottom of a river with weights around his neck, our society should be particularly mindful of this kind of the possible consequences of this kind of accusation.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Overall, just over a third of judges are female...beyond that, do you have some research showing the female judges actually mete out higher bail or longer sentences?

I believe my article made the point that just because someone makes a false accusation, those certainly don't all make it to trial or even to the point of charges being filed. Many (of the small absolute numbers) of false accusations are never even made against a specific person but are very vague and general, precluding finding a suspect or filing charges. Many times it is a third party (like a parent) who makes a complaint on the behalf of a younger girl who may not even want to go forward because nothing nonconsensual happened.

It's easy to assume that every accusation automatically goes to trial and automatically results in a bad conviction - that is far from the case. There are false reports of MANY crimes, not just sexual assaults and I think I saw some stats that the percentage of false accusations of sexual assault are no higher than for other crimes.

False accusations are bad...for murder, arson, whatever. Our society still doesn't want to believe a man that they know could do such a thing -he is more often given the benefit of the doubt.
Another reasonable and logical response. Overall, these are lacking here.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Interesting article.

https://theundefeated.com/features/b...e-lies-matter/

Any black mother will tell you that one of her worst fears for her son is him getting accused of raping a white woman. With the way the pendulum seems to be swinging back to the days when all it really did take was a little pointed (white) finger and a young man ends up with his eyes gouged out at the bottom of a river with weights around his neck, our society should be particularly mindful of this kind of the possible consequences of this kind of accusation.
I agree.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:43 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This was a horrible crime that will stay with those falsely accused forever. I can't even imagine going through what these men had to endure. And for what? So an immature brat could accomplish some stupid plan to attract another man? Anyone not understanding the outrage is clueless.

She is lucky to have only received a year, stiffer sentences will perhaps act as a deterrent to others in the future.
I feel a year is sufficient for the crime and its consequences. What was it they had to endure? They weren't identified to the public, weren't arrested, weren't charged with a crime. It has yet to be confirmed that the one gentleman lost his football scholarship due to the accusation or why they voluntarily withdrew from classes. So basically, they were interviewed by the police.
The men are both planning to file a civil suit which will involve them in court proceedings making their names public as well as the expense of attorneys and time devoted to legal cases.

If they had actually been arrested and charged and charges made public and been expelled from school, spent time in jail, secured an attorney, etc. then I would agree she should have received a tougher sentence.

I do not see the outrage. Again, people are falsely accused all the time. If it doesn't go beyond an accusation and answering a few questions I can see being miffed, but outrage, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events