Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 06:11 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times

Advertisements

Well I guess a lot of us here are too rich for Walmart after all.

Who knew?

(In reference to Walmart shoppers not seeing 200k in a lifetime)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 09:41 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Unfortunately human trafficking is rampant. If you need a link to "prove" it you've got your head in the sand.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:34 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
This . . .

Not funny and learn how to write money amounts

. . .was a Direct Message I got from someone who didn't give a name. Of course I was joshing and I oftentimes do so these days because of how so many people are SO manipulated by the popular media and take everything SO personally and get SO worked up that I truly find it rather mind-boggling.

On writing the money amount, you're right. Let me try again ...$200,000.00.
Considering the subject, I guess people don't have a sense of humour. Most of us knew you were kidding.

Yes, the guy in Florida is one sick man but at least he'll be put away for a while.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:51 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,405 times
Anybody wanna bet the guy's check would have bounced?

Old 10-05-2018, 02:32 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I was 6'1" at 13 .... but it stopped there.
At least you were the king in Junior High and then for a couple of years in H.S.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:29 AM

405 posts, read 257,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Apparently you canNOT buy anything at Wallmart!

If an 8 year old is worth 200 grand at Walmart, imagine what she would cost at a all store?

What no one seems to consider is that it might have been a poor attempt at humor by a senile old man. He doesn't look like someone who would have 200,000 dollars lying around. I think it's a mountain being made out of a molehill by the press.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:42 AM

14,770 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Kind of sad, they bust this guy...but all the while, 100s of 1000s of young kids are being bought, sold and shipped around from state to state every day WITHOUT being caught?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
The story of the Florida man trying to buy the little girl is disgusting. I hope they lock him up
and throw away the key.

Where is your link to support the fact that you think hundreds of thousand of kids are being bought, sold and shipped in America?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, besides the fact that so many go missing every day, to people getting busted who were involved in the buying selling and transporting of kids all over the country, some are sold as sex slaves, others to couples who cannot have kids, its the blackmarket for kids.

I understand that this can happen and does happen, but you said that hundreds of thousands of kids are being bought sold and shipped every day in the USA. I am pretty sure that there aren't hundreds of thousands of kids bought, sold and shipped every day in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Unfortunately human trafficking is rampant. If you need a link to "prove" it you've got your head in the sand.
I know that human trafficking is happens. But it does not happen while hundreds of thousands of young kids are bought and sold every day. In the US>This number is exaggerated.

It happens, yes, but I am questioning the number listed in the quote.
You have to address the problem, yes...but to exaggerate the number to this extent,
is just fear mongering and intellectually dishonest.

As far as the original post, I think the full force of the law should put upon the man.
Although at his age he might have Dementia or some other issue.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:39 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Unless the man is filthy rich and has an extra $200,000 at his disposal, this is probably bogus charge and people are getting riled for no reason.

Consider this. He's 81. He was raised in a completely different world. It's quite possible the man was joking in "his old world way"; a way that is very strange to us today. Did he roughly "grab" the little girl's wrist ... or did he take it up gently to kiss it, like a gentleman of his world would and did? It's all in how mama saw it, and she's not from his world. She was raised in a scarier place where strangers who do such things are bogeymen.

Today we live in a "hand's off!" society, and should.
An 81-year-old came from a different time. Until he's been proven guilty, please give him some slack. I suspect he meant no harm at all. Maybe.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
The story of the Florida man trying to buy the little girl is disgusting. I hope they lock him up
and throw away the key.
They would have to prove that he was making a serious offer.

Personally, I would give the benefit of the doubt since offering to "buy" children for outrageous sums of money was considered a kind of joking compliment once.

When I was about 9 or 10 years old, I remember a lady grabbing my wrist at Schipol airport and saying something like, Oh, so cute! I will take you on my plane with me!" My parents laughed, and she said, "I'll pay you $1000!" (or guilders or francs, or whatever). Then she kissed me on the cheek and let go. I was squirming to get out of that grip so hard, but everyone around was chuckling.

Today this sort of antic comes accross as really bad, tone-deaf humor that still plays among the over-70 set because of how widespread the knowledge of human trafficing and child abduction is.

Also, I am not saying that this guy should get off scott free, even if he was just joking. This sort of thing, and the unwanted physical contact, is simply grossly innappropriate in our society today. Whether he is experinceing age related demntia or not is irrelevant, we have enough unattended crazy people walking around as it is.

That said, cases like this one in Florida, should make the parents leery, and the person should be investigated if there are aggravated circumstances.

But one reason I think this may have been just a bad joke is that the "offers" he was making are just ridiculously high. According to this website where the disgusting details are laid out, it appears that in Europe and North America, the price for person is well under $10,000. The outlier in the list, a Roma child bride is so high because it is probably a dowry price that has more to do with culture (granted a perverse and abusive culture) rather than "free market" forces.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:35 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Does this man have dementia? He is 81 years old.
That is what I am wondering. I think he needs a check up for Alzheimer's. There are cases of both men and women behaving very strangely with Alzheimer's. That Walmart is near me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events