Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 01:01 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Wow, not that cynical yet, thank God. He put up the sign in response to the customer sarcastically telling him he should put up a sign to "warn" people. It takes a lot of patience to have even one special needs employee, I don't begrudge him tax breaks.

Corporations get tax breaks for laying off workers and moving overseas, and THIS is the tax break you have a problem with?
No, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy and glowing reports without mention of all the pay for hire, is all. x 10? You've stated your opinion many times in the thread, and this is my opinion.

End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 01:16 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
No, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy and glowing reports without mention of all the pay for hire, is all. x 10? You've stated your opinion many times in the thread, and this is my opinion.

End.
Where is the hypocrisy???

You have no clue what motivates her. Maybe she has a special needs child and would do it with or without tax breaks. Who are you to assume anything about another person, let alone accuse them of hypocrisy based on assumptions.

Making assumptions and then offering opinions based on those assumptions is much different than offering objective opinion.

Is it hypocritical to acknowledge the gift McDonalds has given families with Ronald McDonald houses just because they get a tax break? If a businessman donates $500,000 to a hurricane relief effort or so a small town can get a new firetruck, is it hypocritical to then honor his generosity with a plaque in the fire house simply because he can deduct it? I don't understand that way of thinking at all. To me that's just choosing to look for the dark underbelly of every gift or kind gesture, that sounds awful so I guess I'm glad I don't really understand it.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 10-07-2018 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-07-2018, 03:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
It isn't "insane". Using religious verbiage on a sign for the public...is this guy running a restaurant or a revival meeting?

Keep your religious views off the front door, unless you're a church.
If you don't like the sign, don't go there.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:33 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
People with special needs should not be handling food in a restaurant, OR be anywhere near food prep or serving areas. That's insane. Think of the potential contamination risks to customers by people who cannot grasp food safety. The customer was right about the sign. It will alert customers to go somewhere else with less potential risk, but something tells me that manager will be shown the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
You must not know any special needs people. Some are OCD about handwashing. Most all I have known whether autistic or MR are good on following routines when they learn them. If handwashing or countertop cleaning is part of the routine, they will do it every time and remind others if they forget.
I know several special needs people. OCD about handwashing is one thing. Autism is another. Maybe someone high functioning would be aware of the fact that germs exist, but one with lower functioning does not. They handle things that are not clean and don't think to wash their hands.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:50 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I know several special needs people. OCD about handwashing is one thing. Autism is another. Maybe someone high functioning would be aware of the fact that germs exist, but one with lower functioning does not. They handle things that are not clean and don't think to wash their hands.
They already said the boy was high functioning. Of course they aren't going to hire someone who is severely affected. That person would be in a sheltered workshop type setting. These things are arranged by agencies like Goodwill, social services, etc. They don't just walk in and fill out an application.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:01 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
People with special needs should not be handling food in a restaurant, OR be anywhere near food prep or serving areas. That's insane. Think of the potential contamination risks to customers by people who cannot grasp food safety. The customer was right about the sign. It will alert customers to go somewhere else with less potential risk, but something tells me that manager will be shown the door.
Where do you get the idea that the worker with autism could not grasp food safety?

Old 10-07-2018, 04:05 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
Well, the customer wasn't getting the service expected. The autistic guy can work somewhere where he won't interact with customers if that is a problem. I'm sure there are plenty of autistic people stocking shelves at the grocery store, and that is a good job for them.
Another bizarre statement. Yeah, keep 'em out of sight.
What is wrong with some of you?

At my supermarket some of the cashiers are people with autism.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:08 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They already said the boy was high functioning. Of course they aren't going to hire someone who is severely affected. That person would be in a sheltered workshop type setting. These things are arranged by agencies like Goodwill, social services, etc. They don't just walk in and fill out an application.
Usually these are organized through vocational rehabilitation or a developmental disabilities organization that provides job coaching and will help someone locate employers who are looking for work. Typically in the initial phases, a person will have coaching through vocational rehabilitation or a developmental disability waiver and then as they become more adept at the job, the employer is expected to do the fill-in training. A lot of big employers like certain grocery stores are known to have programs to hire people with developmental disabilities- Publix, Target, but many restaurants do hire as well. I have seen people with job coaches at a couple of large chain fast food restaurants as well.

People who are too low functioning or in areas with no viable employers willing to hire people with their disability usually end up working in the sheltered workshop at Goodwill. I have known people (I worked in this field for several years) who had a lot of job-related skills but because they were in a rural area, there were just no employers willing to hire.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:25 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
And teenagers do? Or probably a good percentage of the "normal" population do? Glad you know several special needs people. I guess that makes you an expert on all of those with special needs...

Old 10-07-2018, 05:28 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I have dealt with special-needs employees and, at times, have found it kinda annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events