Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 01:14 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
My significant other theorizes that when kids stopped running around and playing outside, the magic window of young childhood muscle development is lost. Or at least retarded.
I think that window is at puberty.

There are a number of things that have changed.

Eating and exercise habits have changed, leading to both more fat earlier in life and less exercise. Nornally healthy pre-pubescent children are supposed to be skinny as rails.

They shouldn't start bulking up (either as males or females) naturally until pubescence, and carrying excess early fat points to numerous problems that have already been identified.

I firmly believe the explosion of chemicals in the environment and in heavily processed foods in the 70s are also a factor.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:51 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,865 times
Personal responsibility and pride in one's appearance are good traits that parents can instill in their children.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:50 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
But better than POTUS Wife ....... Anyday,

She's created ZILCH !
True. But she doesn’t have to do anything to be loves by their voting base. They’ll fantasize about her to get through their ED, while in bed with their overweight wives.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:51 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That was me. But I remember when advertisers started pushing the "after-school snack" in the late 70s.
We always got a snack after school and I’m 56. We also had lots of junk in school. In junior hig and high school I used to eat meatball sandwiches and French fries, maybe get a soft pretzel to snack on later. We had goodies in class in earlier grades sometimes not a daily basis but birthday cupcakes etc at school were not unusual.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:30 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We always got a snack after school and I’m 56. We also had lots of junk in school. In junior hig and high school I used to eat meatball sandwiches and French fries, maybe get a soft pretzel to snack on later. We had goodies in class in earlier grades sometimes not a daily basis but birthday cupcakes etc at school were not unusual.
I said "late 70s" but I meant "late 60s" as the period when after school snacking was first being pushed.

By the late 70s, the "after school snacks" had been successfully planted.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:58 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
I said "late 70s" but I meant "late 60s" as the period when after school snacking was first being pushed.

I was in elementary school in the late 60’s. I grew up with a Jewish grandmother, trust me “Eat something, eat something, you’re too thin!” was a daily refrain. It really was not that different then. What is different now are1. Portion sizes (little kids in my own family given the box of animal crackers and allowed to decide how many to eat) and the chemicals they now add to make us want more. I don’t think we had a lot of high fructose corn syrup.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:02 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I was in elementary school in the late 60’s. I grew up with a Jewish grandmother, trust me “Eat something, eat something, you’re too thin!” was a daily refrain. It really was not that different then. What is different now are1. Portion sizes (little kids in my own family given the box of animal crackers and allowed to decide how many to eat) and the chemicals they now add to make us want more. I don’t think we had a lot of high fructose corn syrup.
Add lack of physical activity to that. What did you used to do when you got home from school? I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and while we has Super Nintendo, etc., smartphones and tablets did not exist, and TV only played interesting shows at select times.
So, we spent most of our time outside, playing with neighbors, etc.
Our social skills developed better, we were more creative (making up rules for games, etc) and significantly more active than this new generation.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:25 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:

I guess my rural community hadn't caught up, because we sure didn't get snacks in the 70's. We didn't have tv either so I guess that's how it was being pushed, by advertisers selling snacks.

We had a few parties at school where there would be cookies or cake and ice cream usually. Valentine's day and Christmas were the only ones I can remember. Maybe last day of school too? But every day, or even every month? Nope. We ran out to play at recess without even thinking about eating a cracker or a moon pie.

Now they can't even let the kids work it off in soccer. They serve them bagels and cream cheese afterwards like they'd starve if they had to wait to go home and eat lunch. At least they stopped the moms who made cookies when it was their turn, but still. We're teaching them OMG you just used up some calories, you MUST replace them IMMEDIATELY. You must always be thinking about food or you could DIE. LOL

Old 10-30-2018, 09:45 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I guess my rural community hadn't caught up, because we sure didn't get snacks in the 70's. We didn't have tv either so I guess that's how it was being pushed, by advertisers selling snacks.

We had a few parties at school where there would be cookies or cake and ice cream usually. Valentine's day and Christmas were the only ones I can remember. Maybe last day of school too? But every day, or even every month? Nope. We ran out to play at recess without even thinking about eating a cracker or a moon pie.

Now they can't even let the kids work it off in soccer. They serve them bagels and cream cheese afterwards like they'd starve if they had to wait to go home and eat lunch. At least they stopped the moms who made cookies when it was their turn, but still. We're teaching them OMG you just used up some calories, you MUST replace them IMMEDIATELY. You must always be thinking about food or you could DIE. LOL
I agree with everything you said up until that part.
I think the one saving grace is competitive sports, as that has become far more strict than it ever was, with increasing global competition.

When we are at my kids' soccer tournaments, there are some set rules by management to monitor what the kids put in their bodies. It's very unlikely that your child will get any playtime if he is caught chowing down on fried chicken and soda before or between games.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:00 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Why can't obese people get trainers to help? If they can't afford it, online resources? They can't start small with an elliptical, water aerobics, walking, stationary bike, low weights and few reps, and work themselves up from there?

People do not become obese from lack of exercise. They become obese due to food. There are 1000 free phone apps and endless information online about how to count calories and how many calories a person should eat. It could not be any easier than it is.

The information IS there, but people don't have the willpower or desire to do it. A gym can't solve that.

I don't eat what I want to eat, and I don't eat how much I want to eat... but I make that sacrifice to be the weight I want to be. I pass on food I want allll the time. I want food right now, but I won't go into my kitchen and get it. It's not easy, but it is worth it to me.
A good amount of obstacles come from time and other resources. Poor people tend to be on the obese side. To better put yourself into their shoes, imagine if your income was reduced to 10% to 20% of what you're currently making. You need to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. You need to raise kids on your own. You have very little free time to take care of things, let alone your own needs.

People rip on obese people for, being so fat, but remember that in this day in age, calories (especially empty ones) come cheap. It's accessible to lower class and poor. Not only that, affording healthy foods, or making time to make your own, is relatively time consuming. This isn't like ancient times where only the wealthy can have big bellies.

These can be overcome, but when the odds are against you, your chances of success are naturally going to be lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events