Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I don't know the circumstances of this particular student, whether his worn clothes were worn by choice, or necessity.
Read the article in the OP, and then you'll know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 05:26 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
My parents were working poor, but we children always went to school in presentable clothing. No holes. No "emerging" holes. For the school to actually write that into their school dress policy, we can assume many children were being sent to school in raggedy attire. That's not acceptable.

Mama should cut back on her food consumption and do more to instill some self-respect in her son. No child wants to be dressed like a rag muffin. I've seen better clothing at the thrift shop. Where'd mama find those pants? In a dumpster? I don't believe she bought them new a few weeks ago. BS!

I support the teacher on this one.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:51 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
My parents were working poor, but we children always went to school in presentable clothing. No holes. No "emerging" holes. For the school to actually write that into their school dress policy, we can assume many children were being sent to school in raggedy attire. That's not acceptable.

Mama should cut back on her food consumption and do more to instill some self-respect in her son. No child wants to be dressed like a rag muffin. I've seen better clothing at the thrift shop. Where'd mama find those pants? In a dumpster? I don't believe she bought them new a few weeks ago. BS!

^^^After reading that, I had to see if you were being mean or what--so I went back and watched the video.

Yep, you may be right. The mom is obese and could probably cut down on the food bill, the kid wears a lot of clothing with holes and the school has even bought new clothes for him. There are thrift stores where you can buy clothes with no holes.

The kid looks overweight too. The problem could be with the mom for what she eats and what she feeds her son. Also, for sending him to school in raggedy clothing.

It's the school board that sets the rules, not the teachers. Unfortunately there probably isn't anyone who can intervene and teach this mom some life skills like cooking and finding bargains in thrift stores. She wants the rules changed to suit herself. Well, the time spent on camera justifying her poor life skills could have been spent shopping for decent food or cooking it. Maybe even getting to a thrift store and buying her son some decent clothes for school. Otherwise the kid is going to grow up to be obese and unhealthy and he will think it's acceptable to show up for job interviews dressed in ragged clothes.

She's acting entitled.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:57 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,747,586 times
Oh well, they’re fat people. To Hell with them then.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
^^^After reading that, I had to see if you were being mean or what--so I went back and watched the video.

Yep, you may be right. The mom is obese and could probably cut down on the food bill, the kid wears a lot of clothing with holes and the school has even bought new clothes for him. There are thrift stores where you can buy clothes with no holes.

The kid looks overweight too. The problem could be with the mom for what she eats and what she feeds her son. Also, for sending him to school in raggedy clothing.

It's the school board that sets the rules, not the teachers. Unfortunately there probably isn't anyone who can intervene and teach this mom some life skills like cooking and finding bargains in thrift stores. She wants the rules changed to suit herself. Well, the time spent on camera justifying her poor life skills could have been spent shopping for decent food or cooking it. Maybe even getting to a thrift store and buying her son some decent clothes for school. Otherwise the kid is going to grow up to be obese and unhealthy and he will think it's acceptable to show up for job interviews dressed in ragged clothes.

She's acting entitled.
Whoa. Just whoa.

As an aside, I am wearing a pair of pre-distressed jeans right now, and I'm a middle-aged woman. My daughter picked them out for me, and I like them. It's the fashion right now. Honestly, if anybody ever criticized me for wearing them, I'd tell them to shut the hell up. Fortunately, nobody ever has.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:32 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Keep in mind that dress codes are adopted by the local school board, not the school. Staff has no option other to enforce them.
I think that a school staff member with sense could just "forget" about the "emerging hole" and not do anything about it in this case.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

Frankly, presentable clothing is much more important than time spent learning to read and write. If this child had been allowed to sit in the classroom with an offensive, and frankly disgusting patch of thinned fabric across his knee, imagine the potential outcomes, not only of himself, but the fellow, innocent classmates who were forced to witness this horror.

I, too, support the teacher here.

/big, fat sarcasm

Old 11-01-2018, 06:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Or, common sense would be to just inform the kid about it, and inform the parents about it and ask if there might be any issue with fixing the problem, and if so, we (the school) will be more than happy to assist.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:16 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Dang, kids can be hard on clothes. I understand not wanting kids to show up with really distressed clothing and a lot of skin showing. But a little wear and tear isn't that unusual, especially if kids are going through a growth spurt and the family can't afford to buy a bunch of new things. Sounds like the school is a little overzealous and has a ridiculous zero tolerance policy in place on something that it shouldn't.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I think that a school staff member with sense could just "forget" about the "emerging hole" and not do anything about it in this case.
They could. And then when the kid leaves that teacher's room and an administrator sees him the kid is marched back to the room and the teacher is asked if the Dress Code doesn't apply today. The teacher then receives a Teacher Compliance Report later in the day as a record of his not following policy. Enough of those and it's to the School Board for a dismissal hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events