Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 07:34 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times

Advertisements

I watched this story this morning. I've never taken an Uber/Lyft but many people do, including my adult children. I am making sure that I send this info to my kids. I'm sure I'm going to get a reply of "Aw, Mom!!" Better to say something they probably know than nothing at all and assume they know.

https://www.today.com/video/rossen-r...379542?v=raila&

Multiple cases of assaults have been reported involving people posing as drivers for ride share services such as Uber or Lyft. TODAY national investigative correspondent Jeff Rossen conducted a test that’ll make you stop and think before stepping into cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 07:38 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
If you match the license plate posted in the Uber app to the car you are getting in I’m not sure how this is an issue

Old 11-24-2018, 08:30 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If you match the license plate posted in the Uber app to the car you are getting in I’m not sure how this is an issue
Exactly one of the things my daughter said after I sent the info to her. She said people are just plain stupid if they don't check, that Uber gives you all the tools needed to be as safe as possible. But as you can see, there are a lot of people who just assume it's their Uber driver in that car.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:22 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
They gave me the driver's name, the license plate, year make and model of the car and I was able to track the driver's progress on a map before arrival. This was Lyft, btw. Don't know how this could go wrong...

Old 11-24-2018, 11:40 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Also, what about just watching the car arrive via the app? If the car looks like it's getting close. It's the same car/model. What are the chances it's somebody fake?

Old 11-25-2018, 02:31 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Right? When you order Uber your app tells you name of driver, make of car, license plate, and you can track their progress to your location. It's all very clear. And when about to enter the car it's a good idea to ask the driver who they are looking for and they should say your name.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:33 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
They gave me the driver's name, the license plate, year make and model of the car and I was able to track the driver's progress on a map before arrival. This was Lyft, btw. Don't know how this could go wrong...
Uber does the same. I have used both.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:44 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Many adult members of my family use Uber. They are quite comfortable with the arrangement and one of my sons in particular is encouraging me to sign up.

I have considered it. I have looked into it. I have had it explained to me. Here's my question -

How does a "fake" Uber/Lyft driver know I called for a ride?

Old 11-25-2018, 05:08 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
How does a "fake" Uber/Lyft driver know I called for a ride?
Internet. When you use the app your phone sees where you are and where the phones of drivers are, you type in where you want to go, and it says the estimated price and how long until a driver arrives. If the price/time seems good you agree and it sends a message to the drivers saying there is a ride request from A to B, whichever driver wants it and picks it up first is your driver. The driver and you can also exchange messages, so you can relate information like "I'm near the fountain in front of the mall" to make things easier.

I also agree with those who said this makes warning no sense. Car make/model/color, license plate digits, driver name/picture/rating, and position of the car on it's way to you all available, I'd have to be drunk beyond all reason to get in the wrong car. It's far safer than a taxi IMO, especially in Latin America where some taxis can be a one way ticket to a dark alley and empty pockets. Where we live right now we use Grab which is yet another Uber/Lyft type dealie. It's a bit more complicated here because taxi drivers have been known to physically assault Grab drivers so they often ask us to meet them around the corner if there are taxis hanging about.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:10 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Internet. When you use the app your phone sees where you are and where the phones of drivers are, you type in where you want to go, and it says the estimated price and how long until a I driver arrives. If the price/time seems good you agree and it sends a message to the drivers saying there is a ride request from A to B, whichever driver wants it and picks it up first is your driver.

I also agree with those who said this makes no sense. Car make/model/color, license plate digits, driver name/picture, and position of the car on it's way to you all available. It's far safer than a taxi IMO, especially in Latin America where some taxis can be a one way ticket to a dark alley and empty pockets.
I think they are asking how does the fake uber driver know. Is every trip that every uber driver make posted somewhere for everyone to see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events