Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 08:13 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
How come the same people who go after churches that like to take advantage of the people don't go after the charities like March of Dimes, Goodwill or Komen Breast Cancer, where the founders and CEO's are making hundreds of thousands a year and have net worths of millions? And these companies also get huge tax benefits for their "charitable" work.
People do go after them? I've seen it done. I know people who don't trust charaties period because of those people.

And I never said they deserved to be "come for". I simply thought that comment was funny because they made it sound like owning a lambo and multiple homes was being comfortable just like the rest of us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
How come the same people who go after churches that like to take advantage of the people don't go after the charities like March of Dimes, Goodwill or Komen Breast Cancer, where the founders and CEO's are making hundreds of thousands a year and have net worths of millions? And these companies also get huge tax benefits for their "charitable" work.
Well, the tax breaks is why so many big companies and people in general, donate to charity at all!!

Its not like they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, they are getting something in return, and there is no requirement to even claim the tax benefits, when I donate to the local animal shelters and homeless shelters, I have never claimed it on my taxes, thats not the point imo. Ive always gotten strange looks when I refuse the receipt for donations! LOL

Old 01-02-2019, 02:26 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Not an expert.. But my opinion would be.. if HE is writing the book and HE is getting the profits.. He is taxed.

If he's writing the book as an.. "officer" of the church so to speak, and the profits are going to the church, then they would be exempt.

The only thing I know of that ministers receive as a tax break would be a parsonage. If a preacher lives in a house owned by the church, they can deduct fair market value of rent of the property from their income.

Close but not quite. If you live in a parsonage, then it is part of your compensation package and nothing is added or deducted from your income. If you don't live in a parsonage, then you are given a tax-free allowance for housing, which must be offset by actual expenses. Spend more, no worries; spend less, pay taxes on the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events