Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 04:28 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times

Advertisements

In Midlands, Texas, there is video of a train passing a line of cars at a crossing. Among the cars re at least two sheriff's deputies. The second the first deputy can get past the train, he goes... and gets hit by a second train coming from the other direction.

The deputy was lucky and suffered only minor injuries.

I am not here to bash all officers or even this one in particular. I have no doubt his intentions were honorable. He was going to a call abut an infant child who was having trouble breathing. He wanted to get there ASAP but in his haste made a horrible decision.

Being that this is 2019, there are. of course, at least two angles of the crash shot by folks at the crossing. Here is a news story about it. This news link has one angle.

Sheriff’s deputy escapes with minor injuries in Texas train crash

I saw the other angle on Facebook. Still tracking down a link to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 09:37 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
I wonder why its NEVER the trains that are at fault in cases like this?

Old 05-21-2019, 09:48 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default It's the acquired momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Physics. Trains are massive, & it takes a lot of energy to build up speed. & once they're moving, it will take a similar amount of energy to slow & stop a train. Thus moving trains have right of way - because by the time they slow & stop, they're well past the point of collision, & the other vehicle is likely mangled & thrown off the tracks by the impact, with severe consequences for any passengers in the impacted vehicle.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:06 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Physics. Trains are massive, & it takes a lot of energy to build up speed. & once they're moving, it will take a similar amount of energy to slow & stop a train. Thus moving trains have right of way - because by the time they slow & stop, they're well past the point of collision, & the other vehicle is likely mangled & thrown off the tracks by the impact, with severe consequences for any passengers in the impacted vehicle.
⬆️ I agree ⬆️

Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I am hoping this is sarcasm. My sarcasm meter has been known not to work before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Not to mention in this instance, the train crew had no time to react anyway. By the time tehy saw the SUV, it was probably already flipping over on it's top on the side of the tracks. The deputy was lucky to still be room temperature after being hit by that train. He deserves to be fired now

Old 05-22-2019, 12:42 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
In Midlands, Texas, there is video of a train passing a line of cars at a crossing. Among the cars re at least two sheriff's deputies. The second the first deputy can get past the train, he goes... and gets hit by a second train coming from the other direction.

The deputy was lucky and suffered only minor injuries.

I am not here to bash all officers or even this one in particular. I have no doubt his intentions were honorable. He was going to a call abut an infant child who was having trouble breathing. He wanted to get there ASAP but in his haste made a horrible decision.

Being that this is 2019, there are. of course, at least two angles of the crash shot by folks at the crossing. Here is a news story about it. This news link has one angle.

Sheriff’s deputy escapes with minor injuries in Texas train crash

I saw the other angle on Facebook. Still tracking down a link to it
1. Why were that many Deputy Sheriffs responding to a child who was having trouble breathing? Paramedics should have been handling that. I would question if they even had a legitimate reason to be running code 3.

2. The operator of the train gave three good blasts of his horn before impact, which are clearly audible on both videos. I'd like to know what the Deputy was doing in his car, and why he didn't hear the horn.

I hope they release complete dash and bodycam videos.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
1. Why were that many Deputy Sheriffs responding to a child who was having trouble breathing? Paramedics should have been handling that.
From what I gather, in Texas, or at least where this happened, everybody goes -- police, medics and fire.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:25 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
1. Why were that many Deputy Sheriffs responding to a child who was having trouble breathing? Paramedics should have been handling that. I would question if they even had a legitimate reason to be running code 3.

2. The operator of the train gave three good blasts of his horn before impact, which are clearly audible on both videos. I'd like to know what the Deputy was doing in his car, and why he didn't hear the horn.

I hope they release complete dash and bodycam videos.
Seriously? A child not breathing is what I saw on two different news stories. Whoever can get there fastest can provide life or death aid. Is that not what you would want for your family? Or should the cop just go about writing seatbelt tickets while a kid chokes to death a half mile away?

Old 05-22-2019, 04:58 AM

938 posts, read 446,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I am hoping this is sarcasm. My sarcasm meter has been known not to work before.

Not to mention in this instance, the train crew had no time to react anyway. By the time tehy saw the SUV, it was probably already flipping over on it's top on the side of the tracks. The deputy was lucky to still be room temperature after being hit by that train. He deserves to be fired now
You should be fired next time you make a mistake.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
We all got the correct advice for a situation like this when we were young kids:

"Stop, look and listen"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events