Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 07:36 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Where's the dislike button? Says a lot about you, that this is your response knowing these newborn calves were very abused.
With all the problems in this world I’m sure you can comprehend a few mistreated calves are way way down on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 07:46 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Like eggs? Pay a visit to a farm that produces them and see how your appetite is for them afterward. Many laying hens are kept in tight cages, where they can't even stand or move around. The air is foul with ammonia and often very hot in the summer. After a year and a half, when their egg production drops, their reward is to become small chunks in chicken soup.
It’s easy to get eggs from chickens that are not abused today. First of all it’s very common for people to have chickens. There any number of places I pass on my way to work but I can stop and get eggs. But also the eggs in the supermarket, the ones that have the seal from the Humane Society guarantee that the chickens are not abused I don’t allowed to run free for parts of the day. Some simply say not caged, but if it doesn’t have the Humane Society seal they could still be just let outside into another cage that’s bigger and still be crammed together.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:11 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
You are very misinformed on this subject. With the advent of the internet there are a ton of objective websites out there that refutes everything you just posted. Therefore, I'm not going to bother with a detailed explanation. Just know everything you stated in your post is incorrect. As I stated earlier, there are things allowed LEGALLY in farming these days that is worse then this behavior. So yes it is the norm.

Like I said the information is out there. If you care about this subject you will look it up yourself. Though based on your comments about animal rights groups I suspect that you don't care.

These are what I call the "true farmers." They are a perfect example of striking a balance between consuming animals but still treating them with dignity. Sadly, they are a dying breed. In 1-2 decades finding this type of farmer will be akin to spotting a unicorn. Factory farming dominated by a few giant soulless corporations will continue to expand and control the agriculture industry for the foreseeable future.

From what I saw in the video there were no actual cattlemen among the workers. They looked like city dick types that suck down a 40 oz Colt 45 malt liquor for lunch and snort their supper. I never actually worked with dairy cattle. Though when I was in school we did go on field trips to the local dairy to see how it worked. We beef ranch kids felt ourselves lucky to be on ranches.

I've never visited a "factory farm/ranch". Don't have any around here. It's all family operations, some bigger than others. I have to mention an incident we had here a couple years ago with a friend of mines operation. He has a graze lease on a stretch of land in a pretty remote area. They went up with their hands to gather and bring them down to Winter pastures.

They found 30+ head shot dead and the line cabin and roundup pens burned. It was no Twinky matter for the local SO. The BLM and FBI were called in. Crimes on federal land. They actually caught the perps. It was some splinter enviro terrorist group based in the Bay Area. They used SKS rifles and doused the buildings and pens with gasoline. My buddy was pissed to say the least. If he and his hands had caught these clowns there would not have been any trial. Western justice.

One would think that such a group as did this would not condone animal cruelty. But they surely did and then some.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yep. Lots of farmers in my family, and none of them would ever accept their animals being treated like that. 4h is very big here...I think that installs a love and respect of farm animals in you.
Big difference between local family farms and our industrial farming practices of today.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:28 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
F it. Either fix the issue or let them go out of business. I known and still know plenty of cattle people and none mistreat the animals in such way. To those people these calves mean their ranch stays alive in the next few years. I live in a area that has cows and ranches. There are a few big dairy farms a few miles away. If there was abuse it would be found.

These abusers are big giant corporation farms. I don’t know but there was a lot of Spanish being spoken. Maybe in their original countries that’s how they treat their farm animals.
The company should of had supervisors with all the crews.
There is absolutely no reason to mistreat animals in such manner.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Meh hippies gonna hippy.

Veal = delicious
What kind of response is this? Do you have pets? Do you think this is funny or are you being sarcastic? This is a serious accusation to these companies. Let’s take this seriously. People who abuse animals may abuse people.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:21 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Response video from the owner of Fair Oaks Farms...very appropriate and, I believe, heartfelt.

https://www.agdaily.com/video/fair-o...2Achu9Zra4a-NQ

Old 06-09-2019, 12:18 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Meh hippies gonna hippy.

Veal = delicious
Quote:
With all the problems in this world I’m sure you can comprehend a few mistreated calves are way way down on the list.
Maybe for you, but there are plenty of people who are disgusted by animal mistreatment and don't consider it "way down the list".

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
What kind of response is this? Do you have pets? Do you think this is funny or are you being sarcastic? This is a serious accusation to these companies. Let’s take this seriously. People who abuse animals may abuse people.
I agree with the above, but I also think animal abuse should be severely punished regardless of the (statistically proven) potential to escalate to human abuse.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:13 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
I wonder how people who make light of these things feel about other countries killing dogs and dolphins for meat.

Bet these same people would then huff and puff about how 'barbaric' those savages how, how dare they do such inhumane things.

Whatevah.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:15 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
I wonder how people who make light of these things feel about other countries killing dogs and dolphins for meat.

Bet these same people would then huff and puff about how 'barbaric' those savages are, how dare they do such inhumane things, nuke them.

Whatevah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events