Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 03:23 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,198,364 times

Advertisements

Employee won round one; looks like the ex-employer will appeal. Maybe companies should put an end to these parties?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pHQFGzhCdqmzHV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 04:30 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
I never got a single birthday party at any of my previous jobs. I don't think I would want one, though, since it excludes anybody not in the 'upper chain". It would make others that are not invited feel left out.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:13 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
For some reason, the first thing I thought about when I read this was an Employee Birthday party was that scene from Office Space where Milton ends up without any cake.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:55 AM

12,388 posts, read 8,155,775 times
I thought this was going to be an employer not honoring someone's request due to religious beliefs. Forcing an employee to be the guest of honor for a team bonding party for other reasons is almost as bad,just not thought to be protected by the US Constitution

Old 04-20-2022, 06:37 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
It wasn't just the birthday party, he was being terminated. That is just so wrong, I'm happy to see this settlement.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:15 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
This could have been avoided by just respecting the guy.
To make things worse they fire him for not reacting properly? It's unbelievable. Too bad he didn't get a couple of million.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:33 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I hope he can stretch that $450,000 out to support him for years, because he is not going to get another job with anyone any time soon.

I'm a bit mystified about giving a surprise party to someone who says they don't want one, and even more mystified about why it was a "surprise" when the company gives one for every employee for their birthday.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:28 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I think people are missing the issue. He didn't sue because of the birthday party. He sued because their actions caused him to suffer panic attacks (which the employer claims caused them to be concerned for their safety, but IMO that sounds like a CYA claim), and then he was fired as a result.

So basically he sued because their actions caused him to suffer a medical emergency, was told to go home for two days, and then was fired for the results of said medical emergency, which is against the law.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:36 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
We always had "Birthday month" parties. One party for everyone born in January, then on for everyone in February, etc. That way no one is singled out, and no one is forgotten. Of course this guy may have been the only one with a birthday that month.

I don't even have any anxiety issues, but I don't like work parties. When I retired, our workplace normally throws the retiree a cake and gift card party, with a few speeches, etc. I was retiring because I was fed up with my job, and honestly stressed out everyday at work. I really didn't want a party, and told my manager that I just wanted to say a few quiet good-byes to my friends privately. I ended up getting a party for anyone at the company that wanted to attend (ended up being about 65 people), AND a luncheon for just our group of 10 or 12 people. I felt it would be ungrateful to not attend, but I was very uncomfortable about it. Nice to be thought well of, but very awkward.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:37 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think people are missing the issue. He didn't sue because of the birthday party. He sued because their actions caused him to suffer panic attacks (which the employer claims caused them to be concerned for their safety, but IMO that sounds like a CYA claim), and then he was fired as a result.

So basically he sued because their actions caused him to suffer a medical emergency, was told to go home for two days, and then was fired for the results of said medical emergency, which is against the law.
I think they deserved what they got. Firing someone for a medical condition (even if it's a mental issue), is just not right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events