Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 01:10 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Untrue as I had for seven to eights years endured PTSD. Please stop with the 'clearly' assumption. Thru medical and therapy there were tools I could practice when the anxiety or panic heightened. I was accountable for my behavior. I didn't hold others hostage for my perceptions. Yes sometimes I avoid entirely certain situations. As I asked earlier , what had this group done though to trigger his malady? I see another poster stated the gent became anger riddled. I was being fair of mind though that if he was under doctor's orders ,then the firing may have been unjust.
Hold others hostage? Is that what you got from this story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 01:13 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Coming back to add that this fellow has just made it more difficult for the mentally handicapped to find a decent job. Who wants to hire someone who insists that everyone has to behave as he dictates and then sues if he is unhappy or can't fit himself in to the business?

it's one thing to be willing to make reasonable accommodation. It is entirely different to have to live every second of the business day in fear of being sued because you somehow offend a sensitive employee. by maybe doing something that mentally more normal people aren't bothered by..
It’s amazing your take is the employee insisted everyone needed to behave as he dictated. He didn’t want a party thrown for himself, it’s the exactly opposite of your take. Asking to not have a party for yourself is more than reasonable

Old 04-23-2022, 01:47 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Untrue as I had for seven to eights years endured PTSD. Please stop with the 'clearly' assumption. Thru medical and therapy there were tools I could practice when the anxiety or panic heightened. I was accountable for my behavior. I didn't hold others hostage for my perceptions. Yes sometimes I avoid entirely certain situations. As I asked earlier , what had this group done though to trigger his malady? I see another poster stated the gent became anger riddled. I was being fair of mind though that if he was under doctor's orders ,then the firing may have been unjust.
This man tried to avoid the situation by requesting not to be given a party because social situations triggered his panic attacks. His request was not honored.

He left the party and went to his car. Others were not hostage.

His manager(s) subsequently put him in a worse situation by reprimanding him in front of co-workers. If the co-workers were hostages here, it was the fault of the managers.

He tried to use his therapy tool of hugging himself, and was ordered to stop.

Then he was sent home and fired.

Old 04-28-2022, 12:31 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I caught wind of a "surprise" event happening in my office for me and a few others, I can't remember if it was a BD or something else, but even after telling a friend I didn't want that he just laughed and said "oh well...". I went down to another floor and hid out for an hour and when I came back people said "oh you missed the surprise!" OH WELL...

A few years later there was a baby shower being planned and another friend told me so it was not a surprise, and only included a small group of people I knew well. I was gracious and it was fine. She remembered my reaction to the prior event! LOL!

There is no time or place or reason I ever want to be "surprised" by a group of people who then stare at me to see my reaction. Especially coworkers who I may or may not even like.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:55 AM

2,272 posts, read 1,667,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yep. Bottom line all this fake "team member" bonhomie creates a toxic work environment for many. It's exhausting fending it off. The ones who like it probably like it because if they are partying or standing in circles they aren't working and they are either natural bullies or natural followers. I'd rather be left in peace to work my 8 hours and go home, to my real life. Work isn't my real life. I do it because I have to.
Several decades ago “team building” may have called something else but it was still around. This was also in the time of the Presidential fitness program being heavily promoted.

We had a chirpy 20-something come in from some other company and an outside obstacle course was set up. Everyone was expected to not only participate but we were actually timed. I was young and fit so could manage but it was not easy - pulling up a wall, swinging on ropes, crawling under a low net, etc.

I remember people with a broken arm, sprained ankle, one fainting from the heat, and another who damaged her hip so badly she was out of work for months and then came back on crutches. There was no accommodation for people in their 50s and 60s. Ms. Chirpy was on the sideline with a megaphone. It was insane.

In my next work environment when we were asked to do something ridiculous for “team-building”, I politely declined. Others also chimed in with a “no way” themselves.

I agree - just let people do their job at work. Voluntary cake parties once a month would be okay with me but the constant onslaught of parties, showers, etc. got really old (plus expensive) even for people with no social issues to deal with. I always had a group of friends at work and we were all sick of it.

Last edited by shamrock4; 05-02-2022 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 01:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Several decades ago “team building” may have called something else but it was still around...I agree - just let people do their job at work.
Except that now this IS somebody's "work" -- namely otherwise useless middle management.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:52 PM

2,272 posts, read 1,667,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Except that now this IS somebody's "work" -- namely otherwise useless middle management.
Good point.

I have found it no surprise that so many people choose/wish to work from home now, for many reasons.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:51 PM

18 posts, read 12,893 times
"Kentucky man says former employer ignored his request not to celebrate his birthday due to his anxiety disorder"

That's pretty bad - he even warned them ahead of time. They said they "forgot" about his request.

So, it is not just "these parties" in general, this is really he warned them not to do it.

“His managers accused him of stealing other co-workers’ joy”

“this confrontation triggered another panic attack”.

Amid this attack, co-workers asked him to stop using coping mechanisms including “hugging himself”. When he did not, the staff members walked out.

Not sure, maybe he would feel better inside an insane asylum, but who knows...

Old 05-08-2022, 11:05 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times
Oh, dear God.
We're not referred to as "The United States of Litigation" for nothing.
I say, party on, office colleagues, and the guest of honor can sit it out if his anxiety proves too much for his attendance at the function.

Old 05-08-2022, 05:40 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Oh, dear God.
We're not referred to as "The United States of Litigation" for nothing.
I say, party on, office colleagues, and the guest of honor can sit it out if his anxiety proves too much for his attendance at the function.
Yet someone else who is missing the point of the lawsuit. He's not suing just because they had a birthday party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events