Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 03:59 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times

Advertisements

The COO kept saying something about workplace violence policy being violated. What violence is he talking about? Unless I missed something in the article I didn't see anything violent? But on a related note, I requested a similar...request when I quit one of my last jobs. They always liked to have a congratulations party for folks who were exiting but I truly hate being the center of attention...so i said pls no. thankfully they respected my wishes even though they did have something in the works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 04:45 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think people are missing the issue. He didn't sue because of the birthday party. He sued because their actions caused him to suffer panic attacks (which the employer claims caused them to be concerned for their safety, but IMO that sounds like a CYA claim), and then he was fired as a result.

So basically he sued because their actions caused him to suffer a medical emergency, was told to go home for two days, and then was fired for the results of said medical emergency, which is against the law.
What actions? Yelling happy birthday?
Was an ambulance called ? There are still parts I'm not grasping as to what the staff did to exacerbate his need for medical aide.

The other part I get...he was fired ...and their reasonings are awfully convenient given the gents two days of recovery....
If he had medical consent to be home to heal....they definitely deserve to pay up.

Old 04-20-2022, 04:58 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
What actions? Yelling happy birthday?
Was an ambulance called ? There are still parts I'm not grasping as to what the staff did to exacerbate his need for medical aide.

The other part I get...he was fired ...and their reasonings are awfully convenient given the gents two days of recovery....
If he had medical consent to be home to heal....they definitely deserve to pay up.
You clearly don't know what it's like to have an anxiety disorder. He knew what would trigger a panic attack, and asked them to make reasonable accommodations so that wouldn't happen.

Old 04-21-2022, 04:55 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
I wonder if there are cameras at this place. I want to see proof of this "violence". I doubt very much the 'birthday organizer' forgot. She more than likely decided the guy didn't have a right to request no party and deprive the other employees of a party at his expense. I say this because of the company accusing him of "stealing other's joy". I mean, seriously, who says things like that?

Sounds like they've been wanting to get rid of him and seized this as an excuse. I'm glad he won.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:35 AM

17,372 posts, read 16,518,282 times
He was terminated for "becoming enraged and about to get violent". Apparently, his reaction to this birthday party was over the top and he became quite confrontational over it which was intimidating to his coworkers.

So much for the meek little image of a guy sitting in his car hyperventilating. I think the jury got the verdict wrong.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:46 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
He was terminated for "becoming enraged and about to get violent". Apparently, his reaction to this birthday party was over the top and he became quite confrontational over it which was intimidating to his coworkers.

So much for the meek little image of a guy sitting in his car hyperventilating. I think the jury got the verdict wrong.
So you think 12 people who actually spent probably several days hearing and observing all the evidence and testimony, and being told precisely what the law surrounding this issue says, and then voting UNANIMOUSLY to find in the plaintiff's favor were all wrong? And because you read a short, not very descriptive article, that your judgment is better than theirs? SMF!

Old 04-21-2022, 08:01 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You clearly don't know what it's like to have an anxiety disorder. He knew what would trigger a panic attack, and asked them to make reasonable accommodations so that wouldn't happen.
Untrue as I had for seven to eights years endured PTSD. Please stop with the 'clearly' assumption. Thru medical and therapy there were tools I could practice when the anxiety or panic heightened. I was accountable for my behavior. I didn't hold others hostage for my perceptions. Yes sometimes I avoid entirely certain situations. As I asked earlier , what had this group done though to trigger his malady? I see another poster stated the gent became anger riddled. I was being fair of mind though that if he was under doctor's orders ,then the firing may have been unjust.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:29 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Untrue as I had for seven to eights years endured PTSD. Please stop with the 'clearly' assumption. Thru medical and therapy there were tools I could practice when the anxiety or panic heightened. I was accountable for my behavior. I didn't hold others hostage for my perceptions. Yes sometimes I avoid entirely certain situations. As I asked earlier , what had this group done though to trigger his malady? I see another poster stated the gent became anger riddled. I was being fair of mind though that if he was under doctor's orders ,then the firing may have been unjust.
Then as someone who has experienced anxiety, your comment was insensitive. Perhaps his is more severe than yours

He was accountable for his behavior. He tried to avoid the situation entirely by requesting there be no party because he knew it would trigger an attack. They ignored his request. When he tried to utilize his tools to lessen the panic attack, he was told to stop.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:17 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
And that's EXACTLY what this employee was trying to do by saying to coworkers/management "please don't throw me a party." They blatantly ignored his request and then blamed him for his response when they were the ones who put him in that position.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:45 AM

6,794 posts, read 4,236,377 times
The fact they terminated him so quickly thereafter makes me wonder if there had been bad blood before these events even. It's not like at the events surrounding that party it would have been total strangers, it was likely people in his team/department i.e. people he worked with frequently.

If he was well-liked then it seems much less likely that (a) the request not to have a party would have been 'forgotten' in the 1st place and (b) his reaction would have caused a sequence of events leading to termination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events