Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 07:28 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Are you in a business that requires employees to mask up? If so then give the employee a chance to do that by politely telling them you are uncomfortable or that you'd like to be waited on by another employee.
Sometimes I find the masks slip down, especially if you are issued a cloth mask that doesn't fit well. I have a co-worker who frequently pulls her mask down between customers, and doesn't always remember to pull it up, but will do so when asked.
If they still don't comply take it to a supervisor. If it's a repeat offense I'd take my business elsewhere and I would make a point to inform both the store manager and regional manager as to why. Most large businesses don't take employee non-compliance lightly.

If the business doesn't require mask then I'd find a new place to do business if I felt strongly about it.

I would not be a mask nazi. You are basically trying to get minimum wage workers fired in a tough economy. Try wearing a mask 8 hours or more every day now for months. Not easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 07:39 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Of course we wouldn't. That happened 102 years ago.
Should know. It was the worst plague in history outdoing the black plague est. 50 million deaths.

Have you studied WW1, then you know vast numbers of soldiers were dying from it in the field and in overcrowded make-shift hospitals when they got home.

Take a look in your family tree and you will very likely find family who died from it, often entire families , and this was global.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:04 AM

50,750 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
What's a "maybe"?

added: I understand what you mean now. Once I was at Macy's and got to my car without realizing I had a beach bag on my arm. I went back in and paid for it! lol
There's a brief moment of terror though, right? Funny, reminds me of the Seinfeld where Jerry saw his elderly uncle shoplift, and when he confronted him uncle told Jerry "We all do it!" meaning senior citizens. Then he launched into "Oh, officer did I forget to pay for that?" act, lol.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:54 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
How can you tell who is symptomatic and who isn't ? That's why everybody needs to wear a mask.

People don't remember the 1918 Spanish Flu. We learned a lot from it but people today aren't aware of it and are not taking Covid seriously like it should be.

So a picture is more important than social distancing?

Old 11-15-2020, 07:27 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I've been in a few businesses where the person serving me wasn't wearing a face mask, or had it under their nose. I didn't speak up, but I felt guilty the whole time for not doing it.

I know that the jobs these people work are often difficult and unpleasant, and normally I don't want to be that guy that tells them how to do their job. But this is a serious disease outbreak, and they're risking not only their customers' health, but the health of everyone those customers are in contact with. Has anyone found a way to remind these employees to mask up that hasn't caused them to lash out at you? (I've heard some bad stories)
People leaving their noses out is a huge peeve of mine. So far I have not said anything directly to them because the employee was not waiting on me. I will complain when I'm leaving if I see a manager or will follow up when I get home. I always report it because they're supposed to be masking in NJ.

I had gone to our local convenience store called Wawa; saw a bunch of kids on bikes that did not have masks. There are 2 doors to go in and out of the store. You 1st walk in a single door where there's a small lobby, then a set of double doors to enter the store. The kids pulled their T-shirt over their nose as they went in the double doors, so they were without a mask in the lobby, between the 2 sets of doors, breathing all over the place, shooting their saliva on everything because they were practically running. This wasn't the 1st time I've seen the kids, it was more like the 5th, I'd had enough.

I said something to the manager who blew me off, which really pissed me off. I went home and sent a formal complaint to Wawa about it, saying a pulled up T-shirt is not an acceptable face covering according to the CDC and state of NJ and that the manager needs to enforce the mask policy. I let them know I shop there a lot and that I have a bad immune system, didn't appreciate that they could be exposing me to COVID.

Of course I have not seen the kids since then to see if they're still going in without a mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I wonder if it would be a better approach to talk to or contact the store manager to say that you've seen some of their employees not properly wearing a mask, and that will affect your choice to shop in their store in the future.
Agree, it's what I've been doing. If I shop at Walmart and see this, I'll make a note of the date and time, who the person is if they have a name tag on, if not, department such as deli, description of person then complain on their survey monkey form. It works. I've gotten phone calls and emails from the store managers.

So far I have not had to complain anywhere else because I usually only food shop at Walmart because they disinfect the whole shopping cart. The only other stores I'll go to are Wawa (convenience store), Acme and Shop Rite which I hate doing because they do not sanitize the carts. They used to but apparently stopped in the last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have done that twice. Once was when I was getting an eye exam and the other was a cashier at Kohl’s. Both had masks on, however they had the kind with valves on. Those mass do not filter exhalations at all only inhalations. So for my intents and purposes it was like she wasn’t wearing a mask at all. The optometrist especially bothered me, because she was 6 inches from my face and we were in a small room for more than 20 minutes. Like the other poster, I am self-conscious, and I did not say anything at the time. Only after the fact. The next time I went she made it a point to tell me and show me that she had a surgical mask over the valve.

The other was a cashier at Kohl’s, who was wearing the same kind of mask. I didn’t have her as my cashier, but I told a manager afterward about my feelings toward workers wearing that type of mask and why.

I didn’t blame the worker in either case, in fact I was careful to say “I’m sure they don’t realize this but the masks they’re wearing don’t protect other people”.

I also two weeks ago, called the administrator at my mothers assisted living facility. Her facility had a high of 39 positive residents in the spring and 13 of them died. It was months and months and months before they would let anyone visit again. Visiting just started again about a month ago, and even now you need an appointment and can only go once per week for a max of 2 hours. We get updates a couple of times a month about the steps they’re taking to keep our loved ones safe as well as the policies and rules they implemented.

In the beginning these rules were followed, but on that visit I encountered multiple nurses aides and housekeepers interacting with residents without masks on. Because there are no managers or anyone who will know once they get off the main floor. There’s supposed to be a two person limit on the elevator, but when I went to leave three workers got on the elevator with me before the door closed. This is a very small elevator. One of the workers was eating an ice cream sandwich, and so did not have her mask on. I was trying to hold my breath, but it stopped on another floor and I was not able to keep holding it. On this floor, despite the elevator already exceeding the rules, another worker got on, pushing a resident in her wheelchair. Even when this resident got on, the worker who is eating the ice cream sandwich still continue to eat her sandwich and did not replace her mask.

I was appalled at how quickly they stopped being careful. My mother is 89 and just got out of the hospital about six weeks ago.

Administrator said she was going to address this again with all her employees. When I went yesterday, everyone was wearing a mask and was observing the rules. You would really think though that they wouldn’t have to be told again, after what nursing homes and assisted living facilities went through in the spring. If they get another outbreak, it will be the residents who pay the price, both in getting sick and also being forced back into isolation, eating in their rooms, no visitors, no hairdresser, no activities.
Wow. I can't believe they're not taking it serious. I could understand if we were in a state that doesn't have strict mask rules, but we're not. Everyone is supposed to be wearing a mask when going into any business.

I'm going to be complaining about the new daycare my 3 year old grand daughter is going to. Her father has custody of her. Her old one at St. Matt's only had 3 other kids in her class, we were only allowed to go in the lobby while they took her temperate. For pick up, we weren't allowed to go inside at all, we had to tell them who we were picking up using the intercom. Her next daycare in the town your mother is in required masks, we weren't allowed inside, you had to use the intercom there too. This new one on the pike by Bank of America. No one had a mask on, the kids are all together in 2 rooms. There had to be over 20 kids there the few times I've picked her up. Parents are allowed to go inside but masks are required. It blows my mind that no one has a mask on since it's the law here. He originally changed it because he moved to the other town. He should have kept her at St Matt's, it's free plus they actually teach there. The new one doesn't teach.

Quote:
I had a brain lapse a few weeks ago, and went into CVS and was perusing the aisle for what I wanted, when I suddenly realized that I forgot to put a mask on! I’m not sure if anyone noticed, it wasn’t very crowded. Nevertheless, I ran out very quickly and ran to my car and got my mask.

I felt the same way that I did when I took my mom purse shopping at a boutique type store, left the store to find a bathroom, and suddenly realized while on the toilet that I had one of her “maybes” over my shoulder. I was terrified to walk back in, lol.
I did the same at Wawa a few weeks ago, one of the cashiers said something as I was walking in but I didn't hear him so went over to the counter. I must have had a lot on my mind because normally I'll catch myself as I'm walking in because I see people wearing them.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:59 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I would not be a mask nazi. You are basically trying to get minimum wage workers fired in a tough economy. Try wearing a mask 8 hours or more every day now for months. Not easy.
I'm in retail, so I do know. I would never recommend approaching another customer or random stranger in a parking lot or something. But in this instance we are talking about employees on the clock, presumably employees aware that they are supposed to be following store policy and wearing a mask.

No, I'm not trying to get anyone fired, which is why I suggested a polite reminder to the employee. I know for a fact that sometimes they don't always realize their mask is down when a customer approaches. I've been guilty of leaving the back rooms and forgetting to grab a mask. It happens.

If an employee refuses to comply why wouldn't it be ok to report it, would you not report for violation of other store policies, rudeness, theft, whatever? A condition of their employment is to abide by company policies. If they're going to get surly or disrespectful to a customer over wearing a mask then perhaps they shouldn't be working there to begin with.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:08 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Take my business elsewhere. No one has a lock on what I buy so if I see maskless customers and/or employees, I just don’t buy from that business.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:50 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
There's a brief moment of terror though, right? Funny, reminds me of the Seinfeld where Jerry saw his elderly uncle shoplift, and when he confronted him uncle told Jerry "We all do it!" meaning senior citizens. Then he launched into "Oh, officer did I forget to pay for that?" act, lol.
Yep, there was terror! I thought bells, whistles and lights would go off when I went back in to pay! And then I thought I would be chased by the police if I just drove home without paying, lol!

Old 11-15-2020, 10:51 AM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

If an employee refuses to comply why wouldn't it be ok to report it, would you not report for violation of other store policies, rudeness, theft, whatever? A condition of their employment is to abide by company policies. If they're going to get surly or disrespectful to a customer over wearing a mask then perhaps they shouldn't be working there to begin with.

I have never in my life reported on a employee or store ever. I have worked in businesses where people have does so and they are usually nutjobs who make it a habit of stirring up trouble and trying to feel important. Like the people who like to give negative Yelp reviews.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:08 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have never in my life reported on a employee or store ever. I have worked in businesses where people have does so and they are usually nutjobs who make it a habit of stirring up trouble and trying to feel important. Like the people who like to give negative Yelp reviews.
Sure there are nut jobs out there who complain about everything and like to make trouble just for the fun of it. OTOH managers and business owners would probably rather know if they have an employee who is actively losing them business by acting unprofessionally or dangerously. If you went to a restaurant where someone saw an employee leave the restroom without washing hands before serving customers wouldn't you HOPE that employee was reported, especially if that employee were cooking or serving your table?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events