Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 05:07 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,138 times

Advertisements

Recently, I was having a conversation with a colleague of mine, and we got into a conversation. In the middle of the conversation he explained why that states like Ohio had to enforce curfews. His response was, "Well, colder weather states have to be more strict because of the cold while warm weather states don't have many restrictions because their warmer." So, is it true or untrue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 05:52 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,009,673 times
To my knowledge, we never actually got hard evidence that it spreads more easily in colder places or colder times of the year. There are generally more cases per capita in colder states (the Upper Midwest is leading the pack), but I don't think we can say yet if that's about the virus itself, our weakened immune systems when it's colder, or the fact that people tend to stay indoors more when it's colder (which makes it much easier for the virus to spread), or cultural/demographic factors of some kind.

Caseloads even in the least-hit US states are still pretty bad by international standards, so restrictions are absolutely justifiable everywhere in this country.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:05 PM

1,435 posts, read 668,263 times
When it got cold here in WI our cases climbed. Early Nov. was rough and that is with outside temps still fairly mild. The prediction for post Thanksgiving cases wasn’t good but those cases didn’t materialize. Our cases after Thanksgiving went down and they still are going down. I am really not sure that I can have faith in the numbers we are given. Just not making sense.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:05 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,013,883 times
Mexico is getting devastated and it's a much warmer country than the states. There's a lot more to it than weather. Genetics, housing, obesity rates, access to care, all play big roles.

Arizona has had a lot of issues, especially in the native reservations

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 12-15-2020 at 06:48 PM..

Old 12-15-2020, 06:07 PM

402 posts, read 370,126 times
Miami has a curfew, and LA has been the hotbed for the virus recently so...

Old 12-15-2020, 06:52 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,082,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
Miami has a curfew, and LA has been the hotbed for the virus recently so...
And states with the lowest per capita cases include Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Washington, and Oregon.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:12 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,403,950 times
I think the number one thing that spreads the virus is people congregating indoors, particularly maskless. An advantage in warmer climates is that you can still do some in-person socializing outdoors in the fresh air. That kind of goes away in the peak of the summer, which is when we had the biggest spike here in Texas.

On a related note, the other surefire way to spread the disease is households with many people living together. That had to be a huge factor in NYC and is also likely a factor in some of the poorer areas getting hit hard in the sun belt.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:19 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
To my knowledge, we never actually got hard evidence that it spreads more easily in colder places or colder times of the year. There are generally more cases per capita in colder states (the Upper Midwest is leading the pack), but I don't think we can say yet if that's about the virus itself, our weakened immune systems when it's colder, or the fact that people tend to stay indoors more when it's colder (which makes it much easier for the virus to spread), or cultural/demographic factors of some kind.

Caseloads even in the least-hit US states are still pretty bad by international standards, so restrictions are absolutely justifiable everywhere in this country.
Good point.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:29 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,933,827 times
I think it has more to do with shortening day length, and people staying indoors more, meaning a lot of people with deficient vitamin D, with compromised immune systems, huddled in close quarters.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:36 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times
Yuma, Arizona and El Centro, CA one of the highest COVID-19 rates per-capita recently and it is still warm. They have been having perfect outdoors weather and yet far higher per-capita on cases than Vermont, Maine, Oregon, Washington.

This virus seems to rotate around the country with high numbers of cases in a particular region for a month than the cases plummet suddenly.

Colorado for instance was of the highest rates in the country in April by Summer they had one of the lowest rates with a November spike that was one of the worst in the country and now it's down by more than half in a week.

North Dakota and Iowa had a spike during a very warm fall season for them and now that it's getting cold the cases have plummeted.

The states that have alot of counties with much lower case rates are centered in Maine, Vermont, Alaska, Washington, Oregon.

El Paso was very warm for most of the time it was a world's hotspot last month, they had some chilly weather there for a few days in that part of the country but it was mainly perfect outdoors weather for a vast majority of the time that they had a surge in COVID-19 cases.

Washington and Oregon which have been very chilly and wet have far lower cases per-capita.

https://rt.live/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events