Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 08:21 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times

Advertisements

A Virginia woman is facing 15 child cruelty and abuse charges after police say she forced two children to sleep in a tent in the dead of winter.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/na...249476585.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 10:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
With proper equipment, it wouldn't be all that bad really. Who are cops to tell someone how to raise the boys? There are way too many things left out of this story. Does sound like she is a little nutty though. I do with more parents would be tougher on kids. They are really growing up like a bunch of wimps these days. I probably would have liked it if I had a really good sleeping bag and blankets. lol

Old 02-24-2021, 10:32 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times
Our son's scout troop had a "Polar Freeze" week tent camping in the woods. (I was assistant Scout Master)

Warmest 5 degrees down to coolest -20 (real temp)

We all survived and had a damn good time!

As for "punishment" it wouldn't be good. But the kids are still alive

Old 02-25-2021, 03:57 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,249,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Our son's scout troop had a "Polar Freeze" week tent camping in the woods. (I was assistant Scout Master)

Warmest 5 degrees down to coolest -20 (real temp)

We all survived and had a damn good time!

As for "punishment" it wouldn't be good. But the kids are still alive
Perhaps the children are still alive because the police intervened. She wasnt training them for the future or whatever noble reason you are extolling on her. Its not a scout camping trip. It was children who were forced to sleep outside in the winter as punishment. Honestly.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:23 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,479,600 times
Not enough info for me to take sides. Age of boys? The mother was 52, so the chances are her boys weren't helpless little kids.

Heater in tent? Other equipment in tent? What type of tent? Wool blankets? Winter-approved sleeping bags?

"Dead of winter" in Virginia is different than the dead of winter in New York State or Alaska.

"Dead of winter" also doesn't explain how long they were "forced" to sleep out there. Who said they were forced, the boys being disciplined?

We all know about media spin, and its purposeful omission of details. I'm not falling for this one until I hear more information.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
With proper equipment, it wouldn't be all that bad really. I probably would have liked it if I had a really good sleeping bag and blankets. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
According to the article:
"Living conditions within the home were also found to be in poor condition.”
So I doubt the boys had a "proper equipment" - Polar Freeze tent, good sleeping bags and quality, warm blankets.
The cops received tips about “alleged abuse and neglect of children." ...and that tells a tale too.
If the mother is facing "15 child cruelty and abuse charges" things weren't that great at their home.

A responding officer reported the interior of the home had a “strong odor of cat urine and feces”, “trash all over” and “cat litter, food, and flies throughout the home,” according to court records.

Antonucci's LinkedIn profile says she is a computer lab instructor with Suffolk Public Schools.
A “Tiffany Antonucci” is listed as an employee on the website of John Yeates Middle School in Suffolk.

She was taken to Western Tidewater Regional Jail.

Old 02-25-2021, 05:24 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
I know people who have wintered at South Pole Station in Antarctica and they have a Scott tent set up outside at the pole and people (some with the maturity of a child!) would regularly camp out overnight in the tent with temps ranging from -60°F to -100°F or lower, just to say they did it.

Old 02-25-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Not enough info for me to take sides. Age of boys? The mother was 52, so the chances are her boys weren't helpless little kids.

Heater in tent? Other equipment in tent? What type of tent? Wool blankets? Winter-approved sleeping bags?

"Dead of winter" in Virginia is different than the dead of winter in New York State or Alaska.

"Dead of winter" also doesn't explain how long they were "forced" to sleep out there. Who said they were forced, the boys being disciplined?

We all know about media spin, and its purposeful omission of details. I'm not falling for this one until I hear more information.
Kids are referred to as being kids. CPS is involved. Mother in jail. Sounds like a serious abuse.
It happened just now, but I don't know how bad was the weather during the Arctic blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I know people who have wintered at South Pole Station in Antarctica and they have a Scott tent set up outside at the pole and people (some with the maturity of a child!) would regularly camp out overnight in the tent with temps ranging from -60°F to -100°F or lower, just to say they did it.
Seriously????? Hope you're kidding.
Those are experienced polar explorers, with top notch equipment.

BTW: On ice-covered Antarctica, the average temperature during the dark winter months is around -30 F (-34.4 C).
Even in Oymyakon, Russia, widely recognised as the coldest inhabited place on Earth the record was −67.8°C, the lowest ever reading outside Antarctica.
Nobody is sleeping in tents there.

Old 02-25-2021, 05:46 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Seriously?????

BTW:On ice-covered Antarctica, the average temperature during the dark winter months is around -30 F (-34.4 C).
Seriously, the South Pole does indeed get down below -100°F in the winter. TRUST ME elnina, I personally know people who have been there in the winter!

Old 02-25-2021, 06:13 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,249,046 times
The people in this thread who are like whats the big deal I know blaa blaa blaa are the type of people who are so surprised that noone helped a kid who was killed by their parents. There is a line between abuse and discipline. There is a line between training and neglect.

A CHILD in the dead of winter being forced as punishment to sleep outside in a tent is not being properly cared for nor trained. If the child wanted to be an arctic explorer and was outfitted with the thousands of dollars in equipment that an arctic explorer has, then it wouldnt be a big deal. But they werent. If they were warm and taken care of then the parents would not have been arrested and facing years in prison.

There is a huge difference between trainging your child in the way they should act and they wont stray from it and being a sadistic (insert banned word here) who is warm and comfortable in their homes while their children shiver in the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events