Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 08:20 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,410,029 times

Advertisements

I miss those days in which I thoughtlessly planned a bus-ride trip to the Hollywood Bowl for an outdoor concert among thousands of persons. Packing a basket with snacks, water, and wine was part of the thrill. Best yet, there was nothing like sitting next to total strangers on the bus and striking up a conversation about the concert and more. I pray for days like these again.

Being a member of a Hiking Club, I miss meeting with a group of strangers and taking on a trail within or just outside of the Greater Los Angeles Area.

I miss the two gyms I was a member of. Although I did not speak with most regulars (we were not there to chit-chat), I truly miss making eye contact with regular gym rats and from time to time waving hello at them.

What do you miss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 08:27 PM

6,911 posts, read 4,924,585 times
I miss being able to invite friends to go on outings in my car with me. I don't want to be in an enclosed space with anyone. I miss having friends over, although it's probably pretty safe if I just have one person because I have plenty of room. I miss going out to lunch with friends.

However, I now go on lots of walks with friends. And when the weather is better we can have picnics, although I am not big on eating outdoors.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I miss being able to invite friends to go on outings in my car with me. I don't want to be in an enclosed space with anyone. I miss having friends over, although it's probably pretty safe if I just have one person because I have plenty of room. I miss going out to lunch with friends.

However, I now go on lots of walks with friends. And when the weather is better we can have picnics, although I am not big on eating outdoors.
Just the other day, my GF mentioned how much she misses going to a restaurant - any restaurant, even if it's Applebee's - ordering a glass of wine and being served

Old 02-24-2021, 08:32 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,499,605 times
I, too, miss the concerts whether local or in Seattle. And, just hopping on the Amtrak and travel the country. I also miss lunches with friends who aren't local but have to travel from nearby cities.

But, I am thankful that we have viable vaccines and that there are preventative measures we can take.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:36 PM

17,668 posts, read 15,380,050 times
Honestly.. I miss little.

What do I love about it? I can tell people to get the hell away from me and it's NOT considered rude!

I've never been a fan of crowds. Most of my weekends are spent in cemeteries. Documenting, photographing and cleaning graves.. Didn't really run into a whole lot of people there. Work is pretty much me an 5 other people I deal with directly.

I still go out to eat. I'm going to my nephews graduation in May. We're doing a Route 66 drive in June.

The only 'cancellation' i've done is that I didn't go out to see my Dad last summer. two years in a row i've had planned where i'd go out there and we were going to do the Petty Experience at Kansas Speedway. Cancelled two years in a row (death in the family in '19 and Covid in '20) But.. We're making Kansas City the endpoint of the reverse Route 66 drive, so.. going to do it this year.

Now.. I do miss not being concerned about a favorite local restaurant not making it. Or wondering if family and/or friends might be out of a job.. But, the latter was more a concern early on, when things were shutting down. I think we're well past that happening again. At least in my area... Wait a sec.. Not being concerned about a restaurant making it.. Tripped myself up there with a double negative.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:29 PM

I miss getting together with my buds, for a Saturday evening of Pro Boxing. I miss how we all chipped in for the fight-price, the pizza, and beer

Old 02-25-2021, 12:53 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,682,445 times
How is this a current event? Non-romantic relationships would be a better fit.

I don't really miss anything except for not having to wear a mask. I barely go out due to my bad back.

I was starting extensive dental work in Philly when COVID hit. It's been put off a year now. You couldn't pay me to do it right now. I have a bad immune system.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:32 AM

13,288 posts, read 8,494,840 times
I miss celebrating milestone events with family and friends. The retirement party- or the "surprise" parties we'd have for a baby shower or Anniversary.

Beyond that the transition to procedures in society have been an easy adaption. As someone previously mentioned I am happy to stand away from certain folks. I dearly disliked being "bumped" into with a cart or at an event. Crowds are just not my thing.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:59 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,266,142 times
So far, I have missed nothing. I have continued my travels throughout the western states with no hesitation and no detours (other than normal road construction). All the places I need to survive (food, fuel, trailer parts, truck service, etc.) have been open.
Only difference has been in some places I was required to wear a mask and in many of those places, there were qualifications that did not make the mask mandatory.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:28 AM

3,519 posts, read 780,067 times
the virus has not stopped me from anything i already did or did not do .. but i work at a home improvement store part time and i do miss seeing customers faces ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events