Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 01:00 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,628 times

Advertisements

https://people.com/crime/son-avoids-...r-eight-hours/

So instead of putting her in a nursing home he lets her be miserable and homeless and to die in a car. And no jail time at all. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 01:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
This one is complex.

They both were homeless; he gave her car keys to turn the AC on. A chihuahua who was also in the car is fine.

It appears this arrangement had been working for awhile - there's no indication this was the first time she was in the car during the day while he worked.

As the prosector said, it's tragic, but tragedies aren't always felonies.

Since he's homeless himself, it seems unlikely he could pay for a nursing home.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:44 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
He should have put her in a homeless shelter, while he went to work.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:56 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
He should have put her in a homeless shelter, while he went to work.
Most homeless shelters close during the day and the people staying there have to leave and come back at night. They also wouldn’t have allowed the dog.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:08 PM

765 posts, read 622,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This one is complex.

They both were homeless; he gave her car keys to turn the AC on. A chihuahua who was also in the car is fine.

It appears this arrangement had been working for awhile - there's no indication this was the first time she was in the car during the day while he worked.

As the prosector said, it's tragic, but tragedies aren't always felonies.

Since he's homeless himself, it seems unlikely he could pay for a nursing home.
Agreed. It's a tragic situation, but it's also tragic that they ended up homeless. If they had had a stronger social safety net, it wouldn't have happened.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:38 PM

6,011 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
https://people.com/crime/son-avoids-...r-eight-hours/

So instead of putting her in a nursing home he lets her be miserable and homeless and to die in a car. And no jail time at all. Wow.
Are there free nursing homes in that area where he could have taken her and dropped her off and said, "Here she is. We have no money and I can't take care of her, so she is your responsibility now." I don't know the answer to the question I'm asking. I'm just saying that with the extremely limited resources that this man had, what choices did he really have?

Old 06-23-2021, 07:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Are there free nursing homes in that area where he could have taken her and dropped her off and said, "Here she is. We have no money and I can't take care of her, so she is your responsibility now." I don't know the answer to the question I'm asking. I'm just saying that with the extremely limited resources that this man had, what choices did he really have?
There aren't "free" nursing homes. There might be "free" senior rec centers run by the city or county, but this woman couldn't walk or self-toilet, so it seems unlikely she could go and hang out at the rec center by herself.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
There aren't "free" nursing homes. There might be "free" senior rec centers run by the city or county, but this woman couldn't walk or self-toilet, so it seems unlikely she could go and hang out at the rec center by herself.
Thanks for making my point. The guy had no real choice, so why are people blaming him?

Old 06-23-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Thanks for making my point. The guy had no real choice, so why are people blaming him?
I have no idea why people are blaming him.

I'm not blaming him.

I'm feeling sad for him, and for his mom.

Awful, awful situation.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I have no idea why people are blaming him.

I'm not blaming him.

I'm feeling sad for him, and for his mom.

Awful, awful situation.
Thanks. I should have said "some" people are blaming him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events