Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 04:49 PM

765 posts, read 623,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I feel like a lot of people absolutely don't understand just how many people don't have the ability, the understanding, or the education to make a better life for themselves. It's like they think all the knives in the drawer are sharp ones. Bad decisions aren't always the result of bad character, though an awful lot of people would like everyone to think so.
People like to think that other people end up in bad places by making decisions they know are bad, under their own agency. That way, they don't have to face the fact that they could possibly end up in the same place, if their luck is bad enough and circumstances change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 05:00 PM

50,902 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
People like to think that other people end up in bad places by making decisions they know are bad, under their own agency. That way, they don't have to face the fact that they could possibly end up in the same place, if their luck is bad enough and circumstances change.
It’s the same as the victim blaming on the crime threads, where the victim of the crime is blamed for being a victim. Or the accidental death threads, where no posters ever made any stupid decisions when they were young.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:35 PM

45 posts, read 13,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl
He left her the key, we don’t know why she didn’t turn the A/C on. Apparently she was able to do this before.
Its very sad,maybe she died for some other reason

Old 06-24-2021, 05:53 PM

50,902 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuma View Post
Its very sad,maybe she died for some other reason
That’s what I was thinking, something happened first that prevented her from being able to start the car.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:01 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,469,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She can't walk and is incontinent, he couldn't have left her in a library. Remember too she had a little dog which would not have been allowed either. Libraries are not day care centers where you can just drop people off for the day.
Perfectly normal older people who cannot walk (who use wheelchairs) or cannot walk well (who use canes or walkers) and who are incontinent (but wear incontinence pads) spend a lot of time in libraries. Libraries are no longer just for reading.

More libraries need to open full time here in the SF Bay Area where we have a very high vaccination rate and other communities need to get their acts together so that their adult/senior facilities and also libraries need to open, too.

My response is a general one, not just about "the guy who left his Mom in the car."

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 06-24-2021 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-24-2021, 07:21 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Its very sad, maybe she died for some other reason
Core body temperature of 106 when she got to the hospital. Don't think there's a whole lot of room for speculation there.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I feel like a lot of people absolutely don't understand just how many people don't have the ability, the understanding, or the education to make a better life for themselves. It's like they think all the knives in the drawer are sharp ones. Bad decisions aren't always the result of bad character, though an awful lot of people would like everyone to think so.
Yeah, it's true. I've cooked and served at soup kitchens maybe half a dozen times. I remember standing there the last time ladling out scrambled eggs to the parade of regulars coming by, most of them smiling and friendly, but it became very apparent to me that these were people who were just NEVER going to be capable of holding a job and supporting themselves. This one's limping and blind in one eye, that one seems intellectually impaired or on the borderline of it, a few just look like 100 miles of bad road. However they got to that place, they're in it and they'll never find their way out.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
It sad someone didnt see her and get help
Someone did see her and got help, but it was too late. It said that right in the article.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:31 PM

17,416 posts, read 16,579,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Are there free nursing homes in that area where he could have taken her and dropped her off and said, "Here she is. We have no money and I can't take care of her, so she is your responsibility now." I don't know the answer to the question I'm asking. I'm just saying that with the extremely limited resources that this man had, what choices did he really have?
This happened during the summer of 2020 when nursing homes were on lockdown and only staff was coming and going. There was no adult daycare happening.

Senior centers, public libraries, even sitting inside a Starbuck's, mall or movie theater wasn't possible - everything was shut down. The man was homeless himself, he was working and he was trying to take care of his mom. They were both not in the best situation and it sounds as though he was trying - bringing his mom food, giving her the keys to the car so that she could turn on the AC. It's tragic that this happened, hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Core body temperature of 106 when she got to the hospital. Don't think there's a whole lot of room for speculation there.
Couldn't she have had an infection or illness that caused a fever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events