Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 05:14 PM

17,416 posts, read 16,579,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponpiri View Post
Technically, it would.
No. It wouldn't be better to be in jail. He can rent a room in a house while he works and gets back on his feet. He should be able to sublet or pay extra to rent a room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 05:34 PM

7,945 posts, read 3,490,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBQEgg11 View Post

In this forum, or in real life, when a tragic happened, there are always some people who are sympathetic to the situation and the victims and finding a way to help whereas some other people will not hesitatingly looking for faults on the victims' side. While I think the later is not totally negative since it can dig out the possible mistakes to prevent similar cases to be happened in the future, I don't think it's fair to assume everyone in the states has the same background, same smartness or IQ to start their lives with, or was given the same opportunities in their lifetime.
The conflict arises when the sympathetic folks eventually start looking around at everyone else's wallets thinking of how they can make them a little bit lighter to help solve the problem.

Old 06-25-2021, 05:55 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,766,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic waltz View Post
the conflict arises when the sympathetic folks eventually start looking around at everyone else's wallets thinking of how they can make them a little bit lighter to help solve the problem.
Bingo!

Old 06-25-2021, 07:41 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
For those who wanted to work, 2020 was actually not a bad time to find a job. Maybe the guy had been looking for a job before COVID but nobody wanted to hire him for some reason. Then when tons of people stopped working and went on unemployment, employers gave this guy a shot and he was hired.

I know that I reentered the workforce after 21 years of being a stay at home mom. I applied to a few jobs one day and literally got called 10 minutes later. By the time others are ready to go back to work, they will be competing against people like me with more current work history which is pretty humorous....but I digress.

The bottom line is, we don't know his life story or why his mom was living with him in a car.
Exactly. Also, since the DA's spokesman told the press that the man didn't do it intentionally, and the prosecution recommended probation, it appears the people close to the case felt bad for the guy.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:39 PM

765 posts, read 623,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
The conflict arises when the sympathetic folks eventually start looking around at everyone else's wallets thinking of how they can make them a little bit lighter to help solve the problem.
I'm perfectly willing to lighten my own wallet a little if it means those most vulnerable won't die in horrible situations. Why aren't you?

Old 06-25-2021, 09:33 PM

182 posts, read 76,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post

When I mentioned sympathetic people who are willing to help others, I was thinking they would go out to help the unfortunates on their own, or at least finding a way to do that effectively. I never thought about the organizations that could take advantage of charity money, never thought that was the first thing that came into your mind? I certainly would like to help those unfortunates directly with my hard-earned money, than giving it to some I don't trust. Surely you can't reach far that way, but if you really want to help, there are plenty of them out there.

Truth is people who are evil enough to take money away from the poor are exist, but it's not relevant to this topic. By the way, I have always amazed how they were able to do that, because they wouldn't have a chance with my pocket. Unfortunately, many people still give them money, because not everyone who has money is smart, and at the other end, not that every poor is stupid.

Old 06-26-2021, 06:51 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
So if a person unintentionally gets in their car and hits a child at a crosswalk. It's okay ....because Intent is the premise to accountability? Strange times we live in.

The lady passed. Most adults understand that fact and have some semblance of compassion. It also can be a wakeup call that preventive measures would have thwarted this sorrowful outcome. Both are true.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:00 AM

494 posts, read 286,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I have no idea why people are blaming him.

I'm not blaming him.

I'm feeling sad for him, and for his mom.

Awful, awful situation.
I agree. One never knows what the future may hold. He did the best he could with the cards he was dealt. Such a very sad situation.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:18 AM

50,902 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
In the summer of 2020 with everything shut down, the guy and his mom had very few obvious options and pretty much nowhere to turn to for help.

In 2020, even highly educated people with PHDs were pulling their hair out of over finding eldercare for their parents and/or spouse. 2020 was a heart wrenching year for families. Add in some of the horror stories of COVID deaths and outright abuses in locked down nursing homes and some elderly people and their families were legitimately afraid of nursing homes. Maybe having his mom living in his car where he could at least see her seemed like the lesser of the evils to this guy.

Apparently a small dog was also inside the car with the lady and the dog survived. So it makes me wonder if perhaps the lady did have the AC going in the car for at least some of the time. Guess we'll never know. What a sad story.
We also don't know how long they were homeless. For all we know, they've just been homeless a few weeks, and he thought he could get them back on their feet (he was working, so definitely trying). If he had put his mom in a home, she would have been there for life. And he would not have been able to see her after leaving her there, probably for close to a year because of Covid visitor bans. For all we know, she begged him not to put her anywhere. Maybe because of the Covid numbers in nursing homes back when this happened, he thought it was a bigger risk putting her in a home than leaving her in the car with the key. They were probably all each other had.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:23 AM

50,902 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
So if a person unintentionally gets in their car and hits a child at a crosswalk. It's okay ....because Intent is the premise to accountability? Strange times we live in.

The lady passed. Most adults understand that fact and have some semblance of compassion. It also can be a wakeup call that preventive measures would have thwarted this sorrowful outcome. Both are true.
That isn't nearly the same as this situation. He left her the key to turn the air conditioner on, he didn't lock her in. Apparently, she's been able to start the car when they did this previously, we don't know why she didn't this time. She could have simply opened the door, too. She could have honked to get attention if she were locked in and helpless. That's why I am thinking that perhaps something happened to her first, medically, that prevented her from turning the car on.

But he had no way of knowing that this time she wouldn't or couldn't turn the car and the air on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events