Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 06:40 AM

6,382 posts, read 2,946,011 times

Advertisements

Sad. People are supposed to keep their dogs under control..

Quote:
A seal named after Freddie Mercury has been put down after he was left with serious injuries in a dog attack near the River Thames.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...onward-journey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 08:37 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,259,748 times
Honestly so sick of people in public with their dogs off lead. Why cant you just leash them or take them to a dog park? On your own property fine but not only is it dangerous to others but also themselves for them to run amock off lead.

On my hike this weekend with my labrador a random off leash dog ran up to us. His owners saw us down the trail and stopped and leashed one of their dogs, i guess that dog was not friendly. And they let the other run 30 or 40 feet right at us without even attempting to recall him. I had my dog under control but if my leashed dog was dog aggressive it could have been incredibly dangerous for all involved. I wasnt worried but I was very surprised they didnt even attempt to call their dog back.

Although if my dog was leash or dog aggressive I would have her muzzled. She is just overly excited and wants to love everyone. But we are working on that.

eta to add I wasnt worried about MY dog however I have seen videos of seemingly friendly dogs attack on leash dogs so if their dog had decided to attack my dog Im not sure what I could have done

Old 03-23-2021, 08:58 AM

6,127 posts, read 3,837,776 times
I don't have a dog now, but if I did have a dog and I were walking the dog on leash in some place that I had a perfect right to be, and some dog that was running loose attacked my dog, that dog would be in one HEAP of trouble. I may not be able to prevent the attack, but I darn sure could STOP it... and I would.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,838,740 times
we used to have a house on LBI in NJ and in the off season you were allowed to let your dog off leash on the beach. you use your own discretion with regards to other people and their dogs but if a seal popped out of the water id imagine my dog could have eneded up attacking it.

i dont see much detail in the article of what exactly happened.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:05 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,259,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we used to have a house on LBI in NJ and in the off season you were allowed to let your dog off leash on the beach. you use your own discretion with regards to other people and their dogs but if a seal popped out of the water id imagine my dog could have eneded up attacking it.

i dont see much detail in the article of what exactly happened.
Being in an area that allows off leash animals and keeping your animal under control is fine. This was right by the river where there are regularly seals on the beach and it is being investigated by law enforcement. There is almost certainly a leash law in that area. Additionally walking your dog on an empty beach is different than walking your dog off leash in an area where you know there is defenseless wildlife sunbathing is slightly different.

I know you dont agree with excessive government oversight but this woman clearly did not have control of her animals and her animal was a danger to the wildlife. It should have been leashed for everyones protection

Old 03-23-2021, 12:46 PM

6,807 posts, read 4,504,702 times
From the photo I'd guess...Pitbull. Who's surprised?

Dog owners need to start going to jail for their attacking dogs. No mercy. They refuse to protect the public by muzzling or leashing their dogs, so it's time the public took over that responsibility.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:54 PM

36,792 posts, read 31,072,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
From the photo I'd guess...Pitbull. Who's surprised?

Dog owners need to start going to jail for their attacking dogs. No mercy. They refuse to protect the public by muzzling or leashing their dogs, so it's time the public took over that responsibility.
Doesn't look like a Pitbull to me. Coat is too long and thick, color odd for a pit.
Yes I agree dogs should be leashed when in public places.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:17 PM

32,732 posts, read 48,355,590 times
It doesn't look like a pit to me either. Some sort of terrier mixed breed.

But any breed can attack wildlife. Irresponsible owners don't care. How many people do you know who let their dogs chase squirrels and think it is great fun?

In the United States, the seal would have been taken to an animal hospital, given surgery, and placed with a wildlife rescue to recuperate. He'd be back on the beach in a few months.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:23 PM

6,807 posts, read 4,504,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Doesn't look like a Pitbull to me. Coat is too long and thick, color odd for a pit.
Yes I agree dogs should be leashed when in public places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It doesn't look like a pit to me either. Some sort of terrier mixed breed.

But any breed can attack wildlife. Irresponsible owners don't care. How many people do you know who let their dogs chase squirrels and think it is great fun?

In the United States, the seal would have been taken to an animal hospital, given surgery, and placed with a wildlife rescue to recuperate. He'd be back on the beach in a few months.
The more I look at the photo, the more I think you're right. Not a Pit. But I still think owners should be jailed if their unleashed dogs harm people and wildlife. Once we jail a few, the rest will know we're serious. Only then will they restrain their dogs.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:18 PM

22,422 posts, read 29,577,886 times
The owners of the dog need to pay all medical bills that incurred and the dog should be put down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events