Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 03:36 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I had read that Charles can't be King because he married Camilla, so it would fall on William. The Queen never wanted Charles to have his turn, she didn't think he could do it.

It was different times back then. Women were just getting their voices heard. I'm sure what happened with Charles and Diana also contributed to how the monarch is going to be moving forward where Diana will be the last virgin wife.

I believe Diana also had someone she was crushing on in the later years of their marriage. There were articles in the celebrity magazines that she was seeing someone.

We will see soon enough, probably within the next 10 years
Bolded: I don't think that is true. He can be King, & is expected to become King, once the Queen dies.

Regarding the Virgin bit, that was not a legal requirement, more that they wanted someone with no past or skeletons in the closet for the tabloids to splash about. Someone with a squeaky clean background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 03:44 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Bolded: I don't think that is true. He can be King, & is expected to become King, once the Queen dies.

Regarding the Virgin bit, that was not a legal requirement, more that they wanted someone with no past or skeletons in the closet for the tabloids to splash about. Someone with a squeaky clean background.
Wonder how CNN are covering this and more especially Anderson Cooper, whose maternal Grandmother Gloria Morgan Vanderbilt was alleged to have had a lesbian affair with Nadejda Mountbatten, Marchioness of Milford Haven, the wife of George Mountbatten, 2nd Marquess of Milford Haven .

Mountbatten Family - Wikipedia

Old 04-11-2021, 06:26 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
At first thought I was thinking that Royal House will be shaken up rather quickly.
My thoughts were based on “when one goes the other goes soon”.

Then I thought of Margret Thatcher.
The Iron Lady.

I would say the Queen is that tough.
She is one of the few.

I am not a fan of the Royals but I wish them well.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:49 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, think about it. How many young men was she acquainted with at the age of 15? The Earl of Mountbatten was behind their acquaintance, I believe. I think he was Philip’s uncle. He wanted Philip to marry Elizabeth.
The main thing is that Elizabeth wanted to marry Philip. Regardless of whether she knew many other eligible men, which was apparently a concern of her parents.

Her parents married for love too. Her father actually proposed a few times to her mother before he was accepted, she was understandably daunted by the prospect of joining the royal family.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:26 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Charles is absolutely still next in line for the throne. His marriage to Camilla did not change that. The only thing that will be different is that Camilla will not be known as Queen Consort when he becomes King. She will be known as Princess Consort.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:50 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I think this is the start of a fascinating period in history and a turning point. Regardless of how the world views the monarchy, the people of the UK have grown up with that form of government, and that is what will continue. I think it will be very interesting to see how the monarchy changes once QE passes. While I doubt that Charles will be a huge change, I do think that Diana had a influence upon him and that if not for Diana, he probably never would have been able to marry Cammy. The acceptance of her (making no judgement myself, just based upon my understanding of her role in his life) is an indication of a changing or relaxing, if you will, of the monarchy. I see this as an inevitable change given the roles of men and women in today's world, beyond the UK.

Even Kate, in the role of wife of the future king, has stuck to some of the many "traditional" things in terms of her children, she also has shown a more modern side in child rearing. Thinking of her early living arrangements, (when George was born) with her family and the children being show out and playing. Kate even takes photos and posts them. This, I think is a direct result of Diana's influence, in softening the image of the Royal family. I do think it will end up endearing them to a more modern public. I am not suggesting it has to or should be like the Kardashians at all, rather, keeping the role of the Royals, with a few more glimpses behind the curtain.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:23 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
"Allowed" is a strong word when it comes to people in significant positions of power and privilege. Charles outranks his father. He didn't have to cave to that pressure. Although it makes sense why he did.

Even if he felt obligated, it was his responsibility to be as open with Diana as possible. Even if he still married her, he could have made clear his thoughts on their obligations, his intention to continue seeing Camilla and worked out an arrangement with Diana. But he led Diana on, treated her like a child and let the marriage become toxic. And then the family ganged up on her more than him.
You know the old saying: It takes two to tango.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:36 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Well, all gossip and ugly talk aside, I'm just saddened he has passed, mostly for the Queen. Imagine being married to the one you love for so many decades. Praying for the Queen.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:37 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Thanks Meghan Markle.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:46 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
"Allowed" is a strong word when it comes to people in significant positions of power and privilege. Charles outranks his father. He didn't have to cave to that pressure. Although it makes sense why he did.
If you read about it, you'll see that Prince Charles was actually forbidden to marry Camilla back then. A much harsher word than "allowed." And the pressure also came from Queen Elizabeth.

Quote:
Even if he felt obligated, it was his responsibility to be as open with Diana as possible. Even if he still married her, he could have made clear his thoughts on their obligations, his intention to continue seeing Camilla and worked out an arrangement with Diana. But he led Diana on, treated her like a child and let the marriage become toxic.
They had so little in common, especially intellectually. The 13 year age difference probably didn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events