Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 02:31 PM

19,718 posts, read 12,293,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of jobs for a lot of people as things are opening up. On the other hand, that doesn't mean that everyone will get a job, let alone one that will let them immediately rebuild their savings.
That has nothing to do with the property owner's business of rentals.

If I can't pay my water or electricity bill it will be shut off. If my boiler goes I can't force the plumber to fix it for free because I haven't rebuilt my savings.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:35 PM

16,429 posts, read 12,558,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The point of the moratorium was that, because of COVID, tons of businesses were closing, putting people out of work. Now, everywhere you turn, there are Help Wanted signs. It is time to ease back to normal, starting with making people pay rent/mortgages.
Most of those jobs don't pay living wages. But minimum wage is a whole different issue for another forum.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:20 PM

13,288 posts, read 8,486,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That has nothing to do with the property owner's business of rentals.

If I can't pay my water or electricity bill it will be shut off. If my boiler goes I can't force the plumber to fix it for free because I haven't rebuilt my savings.
If I recall- even utility places were ordered to not shut off during this moratorium. So pardon if I don't side with your excuses.

Can't get blood from a turnip. Even my localities could not collect taxes or impose fees because... No one was there!!! We were on safety lockdown. Humanity proceeds $$$$. Be glad your tenants are alive.

No savings here though. Still working a budget .

Old 05-05-2021, 03:58 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,309,910 times
It was time for it to end. If there had been some sort of compensation for the landlords, then I would feel differently. Businesses had to close during this time and lost income. Landlords had the double whammy of no income and wear and tear and possible destruction of their properties. If you can evict, you can mitigate damages. Landlords had no way to do this.
Considering the situation, there should be some compassion. The government needs to figure this out.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:26 PM

10,529 posts, read 4,078,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle2 View Post
I'm torn. We own a rental condo so I'd like to continue collecting rent but I have compassion for people who've fallen on hard times due to no fault of their own.
Unless you can work out an arrangement with your mortgage company, insurance and tax collector, then if you have obligations to pay those bills, then so do the people who made an agreement to pay rent to live in your house. In this day and age with all the programs available, there is no reason why these people can't be compensated.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:29 PM

3,853 posts, read 2,725,132 times
To me, the eviction moratorium was in essence a government taking, akin to eminent domain.

Landlords should be compensated by the government if they cannot collect rent but are not allowed to evict nonpaying tenants.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:54 PM

8,065 posts, read 10,663,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The point of the moratorium was that, because of COVID, tons of businesses were closing, putting people out of work. Now, everywhere you turn, there are Help Wanted signs. It is time to ease back to normal, starting with making people pay rent/mortgages.
Are the jobs/businesses seeking help offering enough wages to pay the rent?

That's the question.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:55 PM

8,065 posts, read 10,663,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
To me, the eviction moratorium was in essence a government taking, akin to eminent domain.

Landlords should be compensated by the government if they cannot collect rent but are not allowed to evict nonpaying tenants.
You do realize I suppose that being "compensated by the government" means being compensated by we the taxpayers, right?

The "government" doesn't have any money. It all comes from those of us out here working and producing and paying our tax bills.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:18 PM

6,980 posts, read 6,905,569 times
The government DOES have money of its own, it PRINTS IT. Whatever it needs, it prints.

The problem comes back to the banks and the bankers. They run the money system, Fort Knox, etc.

We are being manipulated into a situation here. We need to recognize that.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:05 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,675,134 times
Thank goodness. The eviction moratorium never made any economic sense. With the various stimulus payments, people are flush with cash in their wallets & there are "help wanted" signs everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events