Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 07:19 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,714,341 times

Advertisements

Horrible, another deadly incident in ever increasing road rage incidents.

I'm not going to lecture anyone on keeping cool and letting things go when driving, because even though that is the correct mindset to always have, reality is that many of us could easily have done what she did in response.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/child-sho...172038301.html

Quote:
A 6-year-old boy on his way to school was fatally shot Friday morning when a gunman opened fire on his mother's car on the 55 Freeway in Orange in what authorities are calling a road rage incident.

The suspect's vehicle fled immediately after the shooting near West Chapman Avenue as police officers and paramedics responded to the gunfire shortly after 8 a.m., authorities said.

The mother of the child said they were on the way to school in the carpool lane. When she tried to switch lanes to exit, the white sedan with a man and woman inside cut her off, Valdivia said. She gestured to them and proceeded into the exit lane, and that's when the shooting occurred, he said.

"She heard her child scream and immediately stopped," he said, recounting what the woman told him.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:23 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,611,700 times
I don’t get the whole “cut me off” thing. You mean drove in front of you? Why provoke someone when you have your kids in the car?
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 05-22-2021, 08:55 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don’t get the whole “cut me off” thing. You mean drove in front of you? Why provoke someone when you have your kids in the car?
I agree; I've never understood the "he/they cut me off" thing, as if strangers are deliberately challenging people. What I notice when I'm driving, is that sometimes people realize at the last minute that they need to change lanes (usually to get in position for an exit up ahead, or to get in the right or left-turn lane, etc.). I haven't seen any maneuvers, that looked like some kind of personal insult.

Quote:
When she tried to switch lanes to exit, the white sedan with a man and woman inside cut her off, Valdivia said. She gestured to them and proceeded into the exit lane,
This story is inconsistent. Supposedly the other car cut the mom off, impeding her ability to reach the exit, when in fact, it says right there, that she proceeded to the exit lane. IOW, there was no obstacle, no one was in her way, no one blocked her ability to exit.

Much ado and loss of innocent life over nothing.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-22-2021 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-22-2021, 09:12 AM

765 posts, read 623,694 times
Some people view other drivers as competitors instead of just other people on the road. Unfortunately, that can lead to violence at times.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:19 AM

6,054 posts, read 3,770,629 times
Perhaps it's not a good idea to "gesture" to other drivers unless that "gesture" is a friendly wave. Some people don't take kindly to being given "the finger". Not saying that that gesture should result in someone being shot, but just saying that in a high stress, dangerous world, a person should be mindful that there are lots of people out there that don't take much to set them off.

So why risk it by flipping someone the bird? It may make you feel better for a few seconds, but there's also a chance that it may bring you a whole lot more grief than satisfaction. Unfortunately, a 6 year old kid paid the ultimate price because his mom couldn't control her juvenile actions. Oh sure, the police may find and prosecute the killer, and I hope that they do, but that won't bring the kid back.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:59 AM

1,462 posts, read 976,620 times
An absolute shame for the family to lose their son over something as meaningless as cutting off a car and making a 'gesture'. People seem to feel invincible in cars and think they can do whatever they want sometimes. Before CV19, I used to drive this fwy to get to work and you see people cutting off others, people honking horns a lot. People should just move on when someone cuts them off instead of being aggressive or getting mad, IMO. It's not worth the potential consequences.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:01 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,433,985 times
As for "gestures," (I drove in Boston for many years) I am well aware that people out there are a lot crazier than I am (worked in psych hospitals for many years). Certainly fruitless to "gesture."

Old 05-22-2021, 10:14 AM
KCZ

4,682 posts, read 3,682,766 times
Reading between the lines, she was in the carpool lane and didn't allow enough time to move to the right to exit, so she tried to cut someone else off, then flipped them the finger, and the other guy opened fire.

I'm in no way excusing the gunfire, but it seems likely that the mother's poor decision-making was a significant contributing factor.

Old 05-22-2021, 11:00 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,251,427 times
How about we don't condemn a woman whose child was killed because some idiot with a gun thought it was a good idea to shoot someone in their car. There is LITERALLY NOT A SINGLE DANG THING she could have done that would have made shooting her even the littlest but justifiable. Honestly

Old 05-22-2021, 11:11 AM

6,054 posts, read 3,770,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
How about we don't condemn a woman whose child was killed because some idiot with a gun thought it was a good idea to shoot someone in their car. There is LITERALLY NOT A SINGLE DANG THING she could have done that would have made shooting her even the littlest but justifiable. Honestly
No one is saying that the shooting was justifiable... not even in the slightest. They're saying that the stupid, juvenile actions of the mom resulted in the death of her innocent 6 year old son. Now she'll have that to ponder for the next 40 (or however many) years that she lives, and will always think that if only she hadn't lost her temper and done a juvenile stunt, her son would be alive. And it's quite likely that the boy's father won't forget that either. That's a pretty heavy burden to have to carry with you to the grave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events