Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2021, 10:22 AM

9,120 posts, read 6,338,028 times

Advertisements

I saw a report where a local official indicated there is a sister building, built by the same developer, around the same time, in the same design a few miles north of the building that collapsed. I would not want to be an occupant of that building right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 10:27 AM

21,901 posts, read 13,004,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Awesome find! It was 12 stories

Sure is weird how it was the middle that went 1st.

I still wonder about a sinkhole.
There was quite a delay between the middle and second part of the building collapse. Can you image being them, feeling the earth move? I'd think there would be more than 50 dead, ultimately, unless it was very sparsely occupied at the moment for whatever reason.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:33 AM

23,878 posts, read 33,601,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I saw a report where a local official indicated there is a sister building, built by the same developer, around the same time, in the same design a few miles north of the building that collapsed. I would not want to be an occupant of that building right now.

I'd be afraid to be in the 2nd one. I guess it will come down to a building deficiency in the end if they're already talking about a sister building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There was quite a delay between the middle and second part of the building collapse. Can you image being them, feeling the earth move? I'd think there would be more than 50 dead, ultimately, unless it was very sparsely occupied at the moment for whatever reason.

The delay was pretty long, hopefully no one was trying to run out when it did go down. Think someone said there's a parking garage, maybe some of it was that

Old 06-24-2021, 10:46 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
1 dead and 51 un-accounted for. Ugh.

Hopefully most of the 51 were out of town and haven't checked in yet with authorities.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:56 AM

15,423 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Quote:
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials said 35 people were rescued from the structure, and two people were pulled from the rubble after about 55 apartment units collapsed.

Officials at nearby Aventura Hospital said they had received three patients from the scene. Two were in critical condition.

Burkett warned during a news conference that the building manager told him the tower was quite full and the death toll was likely to rise. He also said the building could be in danger of additional collapse.
Miami Beach Building Collapse_ 1 Dead, Search and Rescue Underway – NBC 6 South Florida

The building was at full occupancy, and few people were transported to hospitals. With 55 units, that means the death toll will be in the triple digits, or at least very close to it.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:58 AM

37,639 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Yes there is a sister building, called Champlain Towers North. The building that went down is Champlain Towers South. My brother worked on both of them at the same time since they were built by the same company.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:00 AM

9,120 posts, read 6,338,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Here is a map view of the building at the intersection of 88th and Collins, before the collapse.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Collins+Av...79&metatoken=0

If you scroll north to the intersection of 89th and Collins that other building looks identical from above, to the one that just collapsed.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:14 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1 dead and 51 un-accounted for. Ugh.

Hopefully most of the 51 were out of town and haven't checked in yet with authorities.
55 units collapsed and only 2 people have been pulled out of the ruble so far. An eye witness said the two pulled out were a mother and son. I haven't seen if the person who died was one of those 2 or someone still in the partially collapsed building. Hopefully many of the 51 unaccounted for our safe, but it seems unlikely that so many in one section of a building would be out of town all at the same time.

They're saying the floors all pancaked on top of one another, and there isn't really any open spaces in the rubble.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:14 AM

37,639 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks so much for finding the link. Much easier to see it go down when it's larger.

A Lamborghini crashing video came after it, that was unbelievable too
That was just insane!! What a horrible horrible crash.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:19 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Miami Beach Building Collapse_ 1 Dead, Search and Rescue Underway – NBC 6 South Florida

The building was at full occupancy, and few people were transported to hospitals. With 55 units, that means the death toll will be in the triple digits, or at least very close to it.
It seems unlikely that the death toll would be in the triple digits with 51 unaccounted for and another 40 rescued from inside the building. The death toll will end up being in the double digits, but hopefully it stays low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events