Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 08:06 AM

50,922 posts, read 36,601,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I remember a time when there was a lifeguard at every stand on every beach in Southern California. Now you hardly see them. I couldn't believe it when I saw one at Rosie's Dog Beach a month ago. (Long Beach, CA) He wasn't there for very long either. He was mostly patrolling the huge stretch of beach in a big red truck.
I guess it’s easier here, because they’re only needed for three months. It would be much harder to find enough staff when school is in session. But they guard every beach during the high season in many of the towns here. They are lifeguard stands every block with 2 guards at each. Ironically, many people try to go in when the lifeguards aren’t there, because they don’t want to abide by the rules of staying within a certain spot where the lifeguards can see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 08:18 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,484,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I remember a time when there was a lifeguard at every stand on every beach in Southern California. Now you hardly see them. I couldn't believe it when I saw one at Rosie's Dog Beach a month ago. (Long Beach, CA) He wasn't there for very long either. He was mostly patrolling the huge stretch of beach in a big red truck.
True. Back in the 50's/60's the beaches weren't open unless lifeguards were on duty.

Old 05-21-2022, 09:20 AM

21,982 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Digging in the sand is a pretty basic activity - hence, buckets and shovels for the beach being among kids' first toys - but excavating a 10-foot hole is another level.

My boyfriend and I happened upon one once, and I actually jumped down into it for a little racy photo shoot (the beach was basically deserted at the time, and there were no hotel balconies overlooking it). Guess I'm lucky to have survived!

Old 05-21-2022, 10:20 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,237,622 times
Maybe they were digging for a TikTok exclusive.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:22 AM

21,982 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Maybe they were digging for a TikTok exclusive.
Or a challenge. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if SM were somehow involved.

Old 05-21-2022, 11:03 AM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I guess it’s easier here, because they’re only needed for three months. It would be much harder to find enough staff when school is in session. But they guard every beach during the high season in many of the towns here. They are lifeguard stands every block with 2 guards at each. Ironically, many people try to go in when the lifeguards aren’t there, because they don’t want to abide by the rules of staying within a certain spot where the lifeguards can see them.
There are always those who don't think the rules apply to them. Some years ago/within the past ten, a man drowned at Sandy Hook (a national park/beach, for those not familiar with New Jersey). There are swimming beaches, but Sandy Hook is a long, thin, spit of land between the ocean and a bay. The man drowned on the bay side. He waded into the water holding his 18-month old son, but there was a drop in that area where it went from three feet deep to fifteen feet deep. He stepped off the edge and into deep water. His wife ran into the water and grabbed the baby, but she could not save her husband, who did not know how to swim, and he drowned.

And right at the very spot where he went into the water is a tall red-and-white sign that says, DANGER: NO SWIMMING OR WADING IN THIS AREA.

We can't always save people from themselves.

Old 05-21-2022, 11:46 AM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are always those who don't think the rules apply to them. Some years ago/within the past ten, a man drowned at Sandy Hook (a national park/beach, for those not familiar with New Jersey). There are swimming beaches, but Sandy Hook is a long, thin, spit of land between the ocean and a bay. The man drowned on the bay side. He waded into the water holding his 18-month old son, but there was a drop in that area where it went from three feet deep to fifteen feet deep. He stepped off the edge and into deep water. His wife ran into the water and grabbed the baby, but she could not save her husband, who did not know how to swim, and he drowned.

And right at the very spot where he went into the water is a tall red-and-white sign that says, DANGER: NO SWIMMING OR WADING IN THIS AREA.

And the above goes to show...you can post signs, make laws, educate the public and there will still be people who think they know better.

You just have to write them off. Sounds horrible but there's not much more you can do.

Old 05-21-2022, 11:47 AM

50,922 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:

What a horrible, tragic story! I almost drowned maybe 15 years ago now, on late September day after the lifeguards had gone. I won’t go in when there’s not lifeguards now.

Old 05-21-2022, 12:26 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What a horrible, tragic story! I almost drowned maybe 15 years ago now, on late September day after the lifeguards had gone. I won’t go in when there’s not lifeguards now.
I used to love playing in rough waves as a kid. Now I will only go in when it is calm or gently rolling and the waves break close to the sand. I can't get up so fast when I get knocked down.

It pains me because I love being in the ocean, but if i have doubts about the roughness, I just wade in and splash water on myself like the old lady I'm becoming.

Old 05-21-2022, 01:03 PM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
I used to love playing in rough waves as a kid. Now I will only go in when it is calm or gently rolling and the waves break close to the sand. I can't get up so fast when I get knocked down.

It pains me because I love being in the ocean, but if i have doubts about the roughness, I just wade in and splash water on myself like the old lady I'm becoming.
You have to move south where the waves don't knock you down

I remember as a kid going to Pt Pleasant NJ and there were ropes in the water to hold on to against the rough waves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events