Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 07:54 AM

29,540 posts, read 22,833,084 times

Advertisements

Buffalo Bills vs. New England Patriots updates: Damar Hamlin posts photo from hospital bed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 02:29 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,336,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I was riding in the car with my brother and his girlfriend yesterday. She's a Bills fan and there was a number of billboards (mind you, we are in PHX) and there were Damar Hamlin support signs. Glad to see we can get together over something at last. We've had a lot over the past three years to rally behind in this country but yet we have decided divide us further.
It really did feel good (and still does). The reaction from all of the players, the fans, and even "civilians" who don't watch football (like us). It was just...nice. I'm so happy to hear that he's recovering and is receiving so much support. He sounds like a really good guy.

Since we're not sports fans, we decided to have lunch at a new sports bar that opened up here recently. Anyway, of course they had the TVs on and were showing a game. They showed fans in the crowd wearing Damar's jersey and holding up signs of love and support. Just seeing that almost made me tear up.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:07 PM

88,880 posts, read 85,346,109 times
This guy is going to forever be famous not for playing football, but for having cardiac arrest on live TV.

Kind of like Vinko Bogataj, the skier who fell down the mountain every weekend on Wide World of Sports for years when they said "the agony of defeat."

Old 01-09-2023, 11:37 PM

631 posts, read 294,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This guy is going to forever be famous not for playing football, but for having cardiac arrest on live TV.

Kind of like Vinko Bogataj, the skier who fell down the mountain every weekend on Wide World of Sports for years when they said "the agony of defeat."
It’s true. I doubt I’ll ever forget his name, his position, and his number, even though I have never followed football, not even just a little bit.

I also now know quite a bit about ventricular fibrillation, aka commotio cordis, and the typical reading of a healthy heart ECG.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:14 PM

22,442 posts, read 29,593,834 times
I wonder if he'll ever play football again? Like the psychological part of being hit and dying must be an issue

Old 01-10-2023, 12:36 PM

8,803 posts, read 3,964,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I wonder if he'll ever play football again? Like the psychological part of being hit and dying must be an issue
Except he didn’t die. If anything, it may reinforce his perspective it’s extremely rare. What are the odds of such an event occurring again (sans a specifically-named medical problem), yet alone to the same guy?

Old 01-14-2023, 11:38 AM

88,880 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Except he didn’t die. If anything, it may reinforce his perspective it’s extremely rare. What are the odds of such an event occurring again (sans a specifically-named medical problem), yet alone to the same guy?
I guess let him play and then we'll find out! Next time, it will be "Back on the field in five!' and everybody will say "Oh yeah, cool, OK. It's just Damar dying again."

Old 01-14-2023, 11:42 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,329,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I guess let him play and then we'll find out! Next time, it will be "Back on the field in five!' and everybody will say "Oh yeah, cool, OK. It's just Damar dying again."
OMG! That made me laugh. I wish the best for Damar. Him going back to play again would really scare me. He has a great future ahead of him regardless.

Old 01-15-2023, 05:05 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,051,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I have seen a couple of doctors say it's speculation to say it's commotio and that it's very rare and does not happen in football .Dr drew explained it happens in baseball hockey and other sports but not football a baseball is a concentrated area getting hit by a football player there is no tap and my understanding the force is spread out versus a concentrated area like a baseball or puck. He said it was strange to jump to that conclusion it was commotio. Something tells me he had a pre existing condition. Could be myocarditis or irregular heart beat.

It's very strange that this has never happened in the NFL before.
There is a study fairly recently that showed that any type of heart inflammation makes commotio far more likely to happen in a given instance.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:14 AM

8,374 posts, read 3,568,291 times
Bengals are scheduled to play the Bills again Sunday.

I think this game would have been finished if the NFL had given them a little more than five minutes to gather themselves. Their attitude upset the players even more.

Damar is doing a lot better than people initially thought he would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events