Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 12:03 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times

Advertisements

A. It's not a good idea to have half the 3/4 empty planes flying around, if for nothing else to cut down on carbon emissions and pollution.

B. It's not so easy to "sell" vacant seats last minute to standby fliers, and an airline only knows the seat is vacant when the boarding time has passed and the passenger is a "no show".

C. Doesn't this delay the flight or cause the airline and staff extra work and concern when they have to make sure the passenger's bags or luggage did not make it on board without the passenger, given the obvious security problem this may pose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 12:05 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
this is like when mcdonalds had the saweetie meal. what was it like a royale-with-cheeze and mcnuggets for like $5. but then you cood just order a royale-with-cheeze for $2 and a side mcnuggets for $2.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:36 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
A. It's not a good idea to have half the 3/4 empty planes flying around, if for nothing else to cut down on carbon emissions and pollution.
Airline load factors (that is, the percentage of available seats that are occupied) consistently hover around 80 percent. It's a rare flight that runs 3/4 empty (i.e. 25 percent load factor), much less half of all flights.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LOADFACTOR

Quote:
B. It's not so easy to "sell" vacant seats last minute to standby fliers, and an airline only knows the seat is vacant when the boarding time has passed and the passenger is a "no show".
Airlines require confirmed passengers to be at the gate ready to board prior to departure time. In Southwest's case, for example, it's 10 minutes before that time. When that time comes, the airlines can then clear any standby passengers to claim the seats of the no-shows, prior to the flight's departure.

Quote:
C. Doesn't this delay the flight or cause the airline and staff extra work and concern when they have to make sure the passenger's bags or luggage did not make it on board without the passenger, given the obvious security problem this may pose?
Yes, this is a valid concern. However, most if not all skiplaggers only have carry-on baggage, for the simple reason that if they checked a bag, it would continue to their ticketed (instead of actual) destination without them.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:09 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,097 times
It's not so easy to "sell" vacant seats " -

sure it is. It's already sold. There is absolutely NO ONE standing at the gate waiting for standby who has not already paid for a flight - a different flight. They're on STANDBY for a number of reasons, cancellations and delays of other flights being the main reason, other reasons apply.

With that in mind - when you "no show" for your connection - after being paged repeatedly by the annoyed staff, who KNOW you were in the airport at some point, as opposed to folks who are still in the air or never checked in - THEN it is usually easy to give your seat away, anyway.

This is not the problem of skiplagging. The problem is when the plane leaves with that seat empty. Maybe someone tried to buy it last week, but it wasn't available. Potential profit - lost.

Re: luggage - no one knowingly plans this and checks a bag. This is strictly carry-on.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:15 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
By the same logic, a burger shop could protest if I buy a large order of fries and only eat half. The shop could have sold those same fries as two small orders, for quite a bit more money

Old 07-19-2023, 04:09 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Outside of the ethicalities of airlines banning this practice (Which, this has been banned in the CoC for MANY years. Isn't anything new) and their economics and all that.

Every US airline, at least, has in their contract of carriage that you can't do it.

So, from that standpoint. Kid (more accurately, his father) was in the wrong here. And.. If the airline wants his punishment to be banishment for 3 years.. Well, that's up to them.

I suspect.. This kid got a bit of harsh treatment for two reasons.. Perhaps. Depends on the timeline of things.

1) This made news. I believe the father contacted news agencies about it. So, airline probably said "Good chance to break out the hammer and show that we're serious"

2) The father.. I've gotten the impression he's something of a jackass or completely clueless. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. But i've seen him keep saying "He didn't even do it".. Yeah, but that was the plan.

Reminds me.. About 20 years ago I was in court for a speeding ticket (Which I beat because the sign was covered by a tree) and they had 4 kids in front of the judge before my case. This judge was known as a hard ass. He actually got thrown off the bench a few years later.. But.. They got popped for underage drinking (All were 16 to 18 as I recall) and open container. Basically, there were 4 of them in a car, open container, no one fessed up to it being theirs. First three all went up there, judge suspended their licenses for 12 or 6 months (Person behind the wheel as I recall got 12 month suspension, rest were getting 6) and a.. Small fine. I think in the $100 range.

Then up comes the 4th one. This girl didn't get it. I mean, they were getting off light, all things told. but.. She gets up there and starts with "But I wasn't drinking".. Judge stayed calm. Explained.. I think the term is "Implied possession".. Basically, she was in the car, no one admitted to it being theirs, so.. They all 'possessed' it.

"But I wasn't drinking"

He remained calm.. Explained it again.

"But I wasn't drinking"

ok.. Now you see the annoyance starting to set in. But.. He kept it together. Told her it didn't matter that she wasn't drinking, she was in the car. If she wanted to finger the person whose alcohol it was, then things could be different..

"But I wasn't drinking"

Patience over. She got a significantly higher punishment than the others. Bang gavel. Get out.

Luckily.. My case was about 10 minutes later and he calmed down by then.

But.. The father.. From what i've read. Reminds me of that girl.

Old 07-19-2023, 04:47 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Outside of the ethicalities of airlines banning this practice (Which, this has been banned in the CoC for MANY years. Isn't anything new) and their economics and all that.
What is the CoC?

Old 07-19-2023, 04:52 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
When the 17 year old buys his own airline, he can do what he wants. Until then, he needs to follow the rules which seems to be a tall order now days.

Old 07-19-2023, 05:04 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And it is surely something to do with anti-terrorist laws. No one should be happy to have unknown persons getting onto a plane with all their luggage and then getting off halfway and leaving the luggage on the plane. If nothing else, the airline would have to stop and find out if the early deplane-er actually took all of his bags with him.
I’ve been thinking this as well. If a person buys a ticket they are assigned to a specific seat for each leg of the trip.

I also don’t think that a person can sell the ticket for one of those legs of the trip to another person for security reasons. Unless, of course, they have relaxed the rules.

Old 07-19-2023, 05:14 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,308,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
When the 17 year old buys his own airline, he can do what he wants. Until then, he needs to follow the rules which seems to be a tall order now days.
Like Lion King 1/2 Quote from Timon's mother "Everything the light touches belongs to some one ELSE"
We live in a world that is owned by big mafias we are their subjects as we depend on them to survive. Laws don't apply to them in fact they write them and bend them however they want as they got no consequences from the commoner because we fear they would cut off our supply of necessities leaving us to die. Maybe with the exception of revolutions that happened in the past or like in "The Bugs Life." When Ants who had been oppressed and never dream of resisting grasshoppers finally did it and they all got eaten by birds. Though now they still have to worry about birds.

The above example with the judge is example of how power corrupts with no accountability from the judge in belligerently violating the constitutional rights of the innocent, though until he was thrown from the bench so good thing is Karma hit that judge in the face. Meaning if the people don't allow it it won't stay this surely reminds me of the historical story of La Miserables.

There should be no repercussions if one gets off a vehicle whether its train, bus, or plane sooner as long as they don't violate immigration of another country though they should let the airline know if they intend to not board so they don't frantically search for them and make sure they don't check bags as it would be a pain in the neck to sort them out from getting on the connecting flight.

I be curious why the airline couldn't go after Skippegged.com instead is it because courts rule they have this freedom and right to operate their business and sell airlines' tickets in this manner? Especially they allow such tickets to be sold to unaccompanied minors who have different requirements than normal travelers based on the airline they use some don't even allow them on connecting flights ie UA. Or maybe he or the dad lied about his age all together. As I am not so sure unaccompanied minors are allowed to use third party sites at all. I believe the issue was the son was unexpectantly rebooked to a direct to New York flight with no Charlotte due to some emergency operational or weather issues but Skipegged did not update them about the change the kid and dad than had to plead with the airline they need to be in Charlotte thats when they had to rebook him and that the family had used skip-pegged many times in the last eight years. I heard this is the reason people say to be weary of any third party booking sites as there is risk when things go wrong ie a hotel booking that were never honored by hotel in a sell out date i.e Comic Con in San Diego. Hotels are actually deathly afraid of third party sites they don't dare to price match anymore even though they would pocket more money and make the guest happy that way.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-19-2023 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events